I just finished my DIY Ross Compressor Clone (from tonepad, with fuzz central mods - the vero layout i used is on arronnelson.com and can b found buy putting ross compressor vero in google - id post link but on ipod)
My problem is when i engage the effect - the true bypass works btw and so does the LED when you engage the effect - but all i get is hum and no guitar signal - i also get a sound similar to when you touch the end of a guitar cable jack when its plugged into an amp, when i touch any of solder in the top right corner of the veroboard. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?
Thanks
EQ’ing your guitars for a nasty, chuggy, badass recording tone that will take the face off a ten-ton badger
no-one?
EQ’ing your guitars for a nasty, chuggy, badass recording tone that will take the face off a ten-ton badger
debugging a pedal via online forum is quite difficult.

the humming can be a number of things. its probably the signal being lifted from ground somewhere. is the switch wired correctly? is the battery/power oriented correctly?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
true i suppose haha:-p and hmm il go throu diagrams tomorrow i thought it mite of been a ground issue - thanx for the 1 reply haha
Your output and ground on your switch may be reversed, so the bypass works fine, but the effect just gets the ground from your guitar. Let us know how it works out.
"Let me tell you something about Rebels, Obi-Wayne. They want you to come get them, they LOVE it."
checked and its all wired correctly:/ i found it makes the same noise as when you touch the solder, when you touch lugs 3 and 6 of the switch
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
which are output from pcb and output to jack respectively - i switched wires over and it didnt do anythin

edit: and lugs 2 and 3 of the level pot and a very barely audible sound when you touch the enclosure

edit: so it seems the issue is revolving round the output stages - and other small parts of the right hand side of the pcb

edit: its also makin the noise when i touch the output jack tip contact

edit: right ive found it does it even when theirs no voltage flowing through the pedal - am i correct in sayin its definately something to do with grounding and the guitar signal?

edit: its also doing it guitar plugged in, just from output jack to amp - whats going on 0_o
Last edited by dannyninjaBC at May 2, 2011,
ive grounded the ouput jack tip connection and lug 8 of the 3dpdt switch to ground and now i get signal with the effect on dunno why it works but woo
Grounding is the usual culprit for noise problems, so it's working properly now? See if you can take some pics next time, it hard to debug with nothing to look at...
yeah its workin fine btw just thought on thebdiagram input jack tip goes to lug 1 and is then jumped to lug 8 on the 3dpdt - by grounding lug 8 and the ouput jack tip together have i essentially bypassed the effect here? n haha sorry will do
Yeah sounds like it. It's a pain how it's often the tiny things that force you to spend ages trying to trace and fix, specially on large complicated boards.
so ive bypassed the effect? great -_- well my level pot works fine and thats has the output to jack so?