Yes, the title is a quote from Devin Townsend.

Now: Do you think that it's possible that technologically superior alien lifeforms have visited earth before, yet found that we are not worthy of being contacted? For whatever reason, maybe we're too violent, too stupid, too ugly, whatever. What if aliens came to our planet, studied us, and then decided "lol fuck their shit, we're outta here"?
If we ever found out that that has happened, what would that mean for our way of thinking, for our society, for our species?

Discuss.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 30, 2011,
I don't really think intelligent life is common enough for an exterior race to look at us and just go 'lol, nah'. On the other hand, if it is, who needs 'em? We'll just find better aliens.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
I really don't think they'd say "lol nah" and just leave. I mean come on... what do they expect? It's not like we are that advanced yet. Bet there are worse lifeforms out there than us as well.

If we found out that had happened, though... well that'd be a kick in the knickers.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I really don't think they'd say "lol nah" and just leave. I mean come on... what do they expect? It's not like we are that advanced yet. Bet there are worse lifeforms out there than us as well.

If we found out that had happened, though... well that'd be a kick in the knickers.

Imagine an entire species of alien lifeforms being all like "oh yeah, you guys were that stupid piece of shit we met on Earth once. You guys were so stupid, we couldn't even tell you apart from the damn monkeys, bro. Nuclear fission.. what the hell were you idiots smoking? We expected you guys to blow yourselves to pieces 50 years from then! How the hell'd you get here?"
We are the aliens.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Imagine an entire species of alien lifeforms being all like "oh yeah, you guys were that stupid piece of shit we met on Earth once. You guys were so stupid, we couldn't even tell you apart from the damn monkeys, bro. Nuclear fission.. what the hell were you idiots smoking? We expected you guys to blow yourselves to pieces 50 years from then! How the hell'd you get here?"

So an alien race of douchebags? We would obviously go to war, regardless of how futile it is just to defend our pride.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Eh, what's to say? We're not perfect. They should know that if they're so smart

Quote by Jackal58
We are the aliens.

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by MAC2322
I don't really think intelligent life is common enough for an exterior race to look at us and just go 'lol, nah'. On the other hand, if it is, who needs 'em? We'll just find better aliens.

Asari
I don't know if you've heard of Dr Michio Kaku, but in one of his articles he mentioned someone that came up with the idea that the fastest way for advanced civilisations to find life in the universe would be to send out a self replicating droid. The amount of said droids growing exponentially and covering the universe. Perhaps they would merely wait and observe all lifeforms that developed until there was an advanced species. Quite an interesting idea.

I don't see why any species capable of travel space to find us would bothere with our species, unless they wanted pets/slaves. In all honesty we're not that interesting. Perhaps if we were more advanced they'd contact. But who knows, we could be the most advanced species in the universe, that'd really throw a spanner in the works.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Lmao @ that cat gif.

I personally believe that even with whatever crazy technology they possess in order to even reach another stay system, they still would have trouble communicating with us even if they wanted to. They would just be so different in every way. Even the rate at which they experience time wouldn't be the same as ours. They would possibly be able to communicate through binary or some other mathematical way, but even then, our minds depend so heavily on associations that even the most simple meanings would find no common ground.

I know this sounds crazy, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out somehow that there have been hundreds of attempts by aliens to communicate with us, if not thousands. We may be just too different to even be mutually perceived.

EDIT: And I know I used the word "even" about fifty times.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Apr 30, 2011,
Maybe there are aliens aware of our existence, but they choose not to make contact because of something like the Prime Directive in Star Trek, where they don't interfere with developing civilisations who haven't achieved interstellar space travel. I think that's more likely than just thinking "lol nah, these guys are stupid". But I think it's more likely still that they haven't seen us at all. The Universe is quite large.