Page 1 of 2
Metal fans, do you find that people automatically assume you have a very narrow minded or limit taste in music if your favourite music is metal?

I listen to a lot of metal and hard rock and feel I get this reaction a lot. People ask who my favourite band is, I say Megadeth and they are just like 'oh of course' and the music chat is over. They also seem to assume that when people say they listen to music they do not listen to any thing else, just metal.

But the truth is I am also a massive fan of Hendrix, Nirvana, a variety of blues artists, instrumental guitarists and classical/ spanish guitar. Lately iv even been enjoying some country stuff.

Does any one else get reactions like this?
Quote by jkielq91
People ask who my favourite band is, I say Megadeth and they are just like 'oh of course' and the music chat is over.

I'm not surprised.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
In my experience (this site included), people who like metal shit on everything else. Not to be offensive or anything
well here most non-guitarists assume metal is only songs with growling/screaming vocals. They say Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden etc are not metal.... but thats another story :P
Quote by eazy-c
I'm not surprised.
Beat me to it, you swift bastard.

Quote by giveawah
In my experience (this site included), people who like metal shit on everything else. Not to be offensive or anything
I think you'll find that you're wrong. At least as far as this site is concerned, that is.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Yeah not really. Although once they find out I listen to metal, I'm automatically labelled forever as the stereotypical metalhead you see on TV where the producers don't know jack shit about metal. Then the usual biases apply
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
instead of saying megadeth, just say "I like quite a variety and couldn't pin it down to one band, but the sort of stuff I'm into is...."

problem solved

exactly what i was thinking.
I think you'll find that you're wrong. At least as far as this site is concerned, that is.

Nooo, I've already found that I'm right.
I don't really look like a stereotypical metalhead, especially if I'm not wearing a band shirt, so I think that helps. Discussions about music don't really occur that often, though, unless I'm already with other metalheads.
no I generally dont care, but it is anoying.

a friend of mine once said Iron Maiden wernt metal because they pick their guitar to much.......

and dont diss Megadeth, they are my favourite band and I shall announce it loud and proud, im not embarrassed.
People know **** all, a guy in school was looking through my Ipod and said im a goth because he saw a megadeth album cover and there was a skull on it, also apparently Judas Priest are a goth band because they have leather a spikes and have a "gothy" name
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
The thing is, a lot a people dont know much about metal .... so when some1 says they like 'metal' they actually dont have anything to talk abt that subject. Personally i feel better abt being unique, although if i wanted to have some conversation, i might say i like "rock music" ,period.
I think that there are a lot of people that listen only to metal and shit on everything else.
No, im not wrong
Quote by giveawah

Nooo, I've already found that I'm right.

how so..?

I think most people on this site have a broader appreciation of music in general whereas a lot of people will only listen to the most accessible artists from each genre...
i hav everything on my ipod 4m apocalyptica 2 cannible corpse
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Even I dont like a lot of metal. I am not keen on all the screaming, with cheesey, popy sounding choruses, though I can respect it.

Its true a lot of people dont know what metal is. Like the guy who says Iron Maiden are not metal say bring me the horizon are, and a guy at my old college once called blink 182 metal. But lets not turn this into a genre war.
Quote by jkielq91
Even I dont like a lot of metal. I am not keen on all the screaming, with cheesey, popy sounding choruses, though I can respect it.

Its true a lot of people dont know what metal is. .

Quote by Vitor_vdp
Please tell me you are joking.

nope, sum metal fans only like the shoutie growly stuff but i like it all
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
guitars and bases have strings too so isnt all metal a string version of metal??
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
strangles stop, shit is gonna clusterfuck so fast

Quote by jkielq91
I dont get it. Whos he?

he is no one, he just represents the expression on my face as I read your post.
Quote by Stranglehold
nope, sum metal fans only like the shoutie growly stuff but i like it all

Try KsE (Killswitch Engage). They have some screams, but they mix it with clean vox, and alot of Maiden melodies. Theyre ****ing awesome, totally check them out!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Sorry guys, il stop now...damn ye!

Ts, the thread has been done before, but I suppose giving my 2c cant hurt. The truth is, there are plenty of people who listen to 99% heavy metal, and 1% anything else. And if people dont know you, and you wear metal tshirts, etc...well of course they're not going to be surprised when you mention that your favourite band is Megadeth. Theres too much emphasis being put on being 'open minded', anyway. If something sounds good, and you listen to it, you'll have a broad range of genres at your disposal before you know it, without consciously trying to dip into as many genres as you can.

I make plenty of assumptions about pop music and the like, so I dont really give a shite if people do the same with me.

Of course, my real answer is - Death metal or die!!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
You used to be fun...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
What I really meant was that "everything from Apocalyptica to Cannibal Corpse" isn't really much variety.
It's still within the realm of metal.

I was trolling earlier, I dont type or think like that. I believe a similar phrase came up in one of these threads before, so I nabbed it.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Same applies for a lot of other genres.

"Oh, you like jazz? You must be a pretentious ponce."

"Oh, you like hip-hop? You must be some gangbanger rollin' in a six-fo."

"Oh, you like indie? You must be a pretentious ponce."

It's not exclusive to metal fans.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I'd have to say its true for a lot of metal fans. Not to dis on metal at all but a lot of my friends that are into metal are only into metal and cant see past BRUTAL... but its not true for every person on there.

As for myself i grew up with country and classical. When i was about 15 i found "metal" and have since then explored the depths of metal and plenty of other music. I'm a huge reggae fan and classic rock is probably my favorite of all time. But metal is a big part of my day to day listening.
I've seen it go both ways (olololololololol). there are metalheads who listen to everything and then there are the ones who will only listen to black metal.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I pretened to like that shitty new Strokes song with the awful guitar sound so I can be accepted by normal society.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
I pretened to like that shitty new Strokes song with the awful guitar sound so I can be accepted by normal society.

Elitist stfu
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
The new Strokes album was such a disappointment. Is This It still breaks faces though.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Page 1 of 2