Okay, so I know that when the strings are off, the bridge and endpiece and stuff are removable. My problem is that the screws that control the action and what not, are really sensitive when no pressure is applied to them, I've accidentally messed up the action a few days after I got it while putting new strings on it. I had to take it in and get it set up(It needed to be intonated anyway, because the guys at Guitar Center never did it) and I don't want to risk messing it up again, any tips from Les Paul owners that can help me? or is my Les Paul really weird and the screws aren't supposed to be this sensitive? Thanks in advance!
mine is the same...just make sure dont knock them around......or dont take all the old strings off at once.....take one old string off...replace it and do the same with the rest...that way there is always pressure applied to the bridge and end-piece.
Sensitive screws? are you talking about the studs to adjust your action? What do you mean by being sensitive when you apply pressure?

Resetting it is a breeze just takes a bit of trial and error. A quarter turn makes a big difference in action
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Sensitive screws? are you talking about the studs to adjust your action? What do you mean by being sensitive when you apply pressure?

Resetting it is a breeze just takes a bit of trial and error. A quarter turn makes a big difference in action

Yeah, the studs are what I'm talking about, and I thought that messing with the action screws with the intonation a little doesn't it?

EDIT: and what I mean about the pressure, is that when the strings are tightened against the bridge, it holds the studs down and they aren't sensitive, when there are no strings on it, the studs are really sensitive and can turn easily.
Last edited by BlueFuzion101 at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by BlueFuzion101
Yeah, the studs are what I'm talking about, and I thought that messing with the action screws with the intonation a little doesn't it?

EDIT: and what I mean about the pressure, is that when the strings are tightened against the bridge, it holds the studs down and they aren't sensitive, when there are no strings on it, the studs are really sensitive and can turn easily.

then just take off one string at a time like I already mentioned.
Quote by gurg06
then just take off one string at a time like I already mentioned.

Oh jeez.. I didn't even see your post , all I saw was his, thanks for the tip man! Cheers.
Tune O Matic and stopbar bridges are the easiest to adjust action on. If you accidentally knock it too high or too low you can just turn the thumbscrews, get it back in the right position. You often don't even need to take the strings off, just loosen them a little if you're raising the bridge. The stopbar is even easier, that should just be put all the way down.
Use some tape around the post & thumbwheel to keep them from moving if you're going to atke all the old strings off. If you own an LP you should learn how to adjust it and set it up to taste as well.
Moving on.....
Raising and lowing the bridge is super easy. I had to do this after I waxed my LP Standard this week. I noticed my low E was buzzing after restinging. It was hitting the pickup cover. Just loosened the strings a bit, raised the bridge, retightened the strings, tuned and it was perfect. No reason to pay Guitar Center for that.
Quote by philwhite
Raising and lowing the bridge is super easy. I had to do this after I waxed my LP Standard this week. I noticed my low E was buzzing after restinging. It was hitting the pickup cover. Just loosened the strings a bit, raised the bridge, retightened the strings, tuned and it was perfect. No reason to pay Guitar Center for that.

Well, I did have a good reason to take it in, I took it to a local shop, rather than Guitar Center, mainly to get it intonated, because when I bought it, Guitar Center didn't set the intonation or action very well at all, it almost seems like they just picked random spots for the saddles and action, and just slapped some strings on it. but the local guys also fixed the action for me as well and installed a strap lock free of charge.
Last edited by BlueFuzion101 at Apr 30, 2011,
Seriously, you should be able to intonate your own guitar.

But yeah, tape is the answer, my old gibson I would normally though just be careful. You can remove the tailpiece, put fresh strings through it and slide it back on without changing the bridge height.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12