Right, so I have a schecter omen-6 and a Jackson DKMG with emgs in it.
I dont like them, and I've been trying to get rid of them forever. I want a guitar that I can use for basically anything Expendables type ska, that gets crunchy at times, Funk, Classic Rock, just all those good sounds.

From what I've heard, PRS is the more versatile name out there, is this true, can you help me find one?

It'd be cool if It has a middle single coil, but two humbuckers would be a must.
Suggest any Les Paul that comes to mind, or any super strat, I dont play metal anymore.

My goal is to sell my schecter and jackson to fund the guitar, So my budget would be around anywhere from $200-350

thanks in advance, I wont be back for a few hours
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 30, 2011,
why not just swap the pickups in your jackson?

My concern would be that $350 isn't likely to get you anything better than your jackson- probably not even get you something as nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You won't touch a PRS for 200-350. Maybe, MAYBE a used SE model. Maybe. They are incredibly versatile however. I love my Strat for what it is but the only guitar I even take out with me is my PRS cause it does it all. There are a couple Ibanez RG models that have two buckers and a single in that range I believe.

I would recommend you wait and get a larger budget or work on what you already have. Pup swap or otherwise.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Dave_Mc
why not just swap the pickups in your jackson?

My concern would be that $350 isn't likely to get you anything better than your jackson- probably not even get you something as nice.

This. Just swap the active EMGs to passive pickups. Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, SD 59 in the neck and you're good to go for every style imaginable.
Are you sure your amp is up to what you want to play? Because EMGs are the most versatile pickups I can think of.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Are you sure your amp is up to what you want to play? Because EMGs are the most versatile pickups I can think of.

I lol'd.

OT: I used to have a PRS SE with Burstbuckers in and it was versatile as ****. But pretty much any SE will do the versatile thing. But tbh swapping the pups in your DKMG or whatever should do the trick really.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Offworld92

I lol'd also.

I have an egnater tweaker, I've just grown to hate my jackson, I dont want to deal with the floyd that I dont use, I dont like the EMG's and theyre impossible to sell on my craigslist.

I was thinking of looking for an epiphone, But I really wanted to try to get a decent guitar used. I've just heard the worst about epiphone and im not sure why.
I also, reaaally dont want to deal with a semi hollow

I see a lot of people asking "What guitar" and everyone recommends the PRS SE when their price range is $300-400
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
ah ok

i mean the se would work. I wasn't too fussed on the pickups of the ones i tried, though.

How about godins?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont know, Ive never heard of those o.O
which models would be in my price range used

can you tell which epiphone model this is, and if it's worth the price?
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/msg/2354074084.html

and how are the artcores?
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/msg/2276411016.html
- Carl Sagan
Epiphone make some really good guitars - their semi/hollows especially.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'dealing with a semi-hollow" but you're not going to get loads of feedback etc.

335s/335style guitars are among the most versatile guitars around. Lots of session musicians tend to use them for that reason.

That said PRS SEs are OK too. It's just that I rate the Epi Dot as one of the best cheap guitars around.
the pickup swapping, pot replacing through the f and pickup holes :P

The thing is just, im a little weary of guitars in the $300-400 new range, my omen 6 just sucks
Im sure it varies from brand to brand

But I guess enough people haven't bad talked epiphones, But Im more interested in a Les Paul, which one would you recommend? The studio's are the top of the line Epi LP's right?

I guess I would be fine with a semi hollow les paul, the huge 335 bodies just put me off
- Carl Sagan
I searched the used GC site and im seeing a bunch of PRS SE's for like +- $300
Is there lower end SE's or are they just priced by condition
- Carl Sagan
The singlecut SEs are more or less the same, so price will change depending on condition, whether its standard or not. Also, some of the new SE's have bird inlays.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Quote by SKArface McDank
I dont know, Ive never heard of those o.O
which models would be in my price range used

i dunno, used a fair few might be. new, maybe the exit 22 or freeway?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
aaah I hate the way their exit 22 looks and I dont like the scale

I found this PRS though, for $350, seem like a deal or a fair/slightly above value price?
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at May 1, 2011,
oh you want a shorter scale?

i think a few of the godins might have the shorter scale length, but I'm not sure if they're under budget or not.

Not sure about the PRS s/h value, I'm not too well up on US prices.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no actually, the exit 22 was 24.75 I like 25.5

hah, just realized youre from ireland
- Carl Sagan
oh ok

i think the freeway is 25.5"... it might be a bit more expensive, though.

if you like 25.5", aren't the prses shorter than that? 25", normally, i think...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a squier vintage modified strat hss
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?entProductId=512573

but i really recommend u to save $150 more and get a fender blacktop strat
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/Blacktop-Stratocaster-HH-with-Rosewood-Fretboard-Electric-Guitar.site1prodH61567.product

it has 2 humbuckers but u can get single coil sounds in the 2nd and 4th position
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt