Page 1 of 2
fmonzo27
dude likes music
1,042 IQ
Now before you say Joe Bonnamassa and such I am talking about being innovative with it and bringing it into the mainstream media kind of like how Stevie Ray did (not comparing guitar playing wise im talking popularity wise) who else would you say is keeping the blues alive and fresh in the 21st century
Mr.DeadDuck
UG's best Dave
336 IQ
Not enough blues to be considered blues in my opinion
SMILE!
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out
1,360 IQ
Yeah probably. They uses a lot of Fuzz and kind of overuse the harmonica microphone trick, but, yeah, I'll agree. They do make some really good 21 century blues.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Fender Rumble 100 V3
Eric Johnson Fuzz Face
NYC Big Muff Pi
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
I won't say they're the "best," because it's so subjective, but their older stuff was killer blues. I'd be hard pressed to call this latest album "blues," but that's just me.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Jazz Funeral
O.N. Original Nunt
16 IQ
I have Magic Potion. I barely ever listen to it.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
They're definitely not for everyone. If you like old style, raw blues, check out Chulahoma, their Junior Kimbrough cover album.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
caw1
have guitar will travel
1,424 IQ
Quote by fmonzo27
Now before you say Joe Bonnamassa and such I am talking about being innovative with it and bringing it into the mainstream media kind of like how Stevie Ray did (not comparing guitar playing wise im talking popularity wise) who else would you say is keeping the blues alive and fresh in the 21st century

Joe Bonamassa is a dying breed. He has more hours on a guitar than a large population of this site combined. I look at the black keys in more of a rock band way, cause they are, more of a rock band. You can say they sound like this guy or that guy but really they have a great original sound. Some times they remind me of ac/dc or zepplin in the sense of having an original rock blues sound that is undeniably theirs .

There is a whole thread on modern blues. People alive and still touring.

The finest is subjective as said before. But if I had to narrow it down I would probably focus on who is keeping traditional blues alive, sells albums, tops the charts (in blues charts), covers many stlyes, plays shows/festivals/large events, yet is still slightly unknown out side of blues fans and guitar players. Joe Bonamassa fits that description to a T.

The keys are a rock band with a blues influence, and that's a lot different that being definitively the finest example of keeping the blues alive. Most people listening to the blues were listening to the blues well before black keys started getting popular.

Sorry if I am a bit opinionated, Music is subjective. I think your not listening to much blues if the black keys is your idea of the finest blues band of the moment.

BTW most of SRV's limited fame came at the end of his career, just before his passing. Stevie helped revive the blues but the real height of his influence and popoularity was after he died.
Last edited by caw1 at May 11, 2011,
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Derek Trucks

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Sir Anonymous
Pure entropy
148 IQ
I think it depends on how you define 'modern blues' - whether you mean (modern blues) or (modern)(blues).

I think The Black Keys are a great example of a (modern blues) band, in that Brothers makes me think of the modern equivalent of a jazz club back in the heyday. Their performance on Conan (I think it was, you know the one) a while back really reinforced this for me - the fancy get up and all the colour co-ordination.

This is probably best contrasted with say, Seasick Steve who seems to me to play (modern)(blues) - old-style blues that just happens to take place right now.

Maybe I should expand on this in the Modern Blues thread?
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
I don't know. They have an entire album covering Junior Kimbrough. It's hard not to call that blues.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
caw1
have guitar will travel
1,424 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I don't know. They have an entire album covering Junior Kimbrough. It's hard not to call that blues.

One album doesn't count. Ozzy did a cover album, doesnt mean hes a cover artist.

Sea Sick Steve is the shit.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
I'm just saying, it's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. At lot of their early stuff was really bluesy. I certainly wouldn't say that Joe Bonamassa is keeping "traditional blues" alive, but the black keys aren't (or at least weren't).

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
caw1
have guitar will travel
1,424 IQ
Joe is a solid blues artist though, and it does sound more traditional at times, then again he does throw some crazy great originality that isn't so traditional. The keys are bluesy, just not that bluesy
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
I disagree, if we're talking about their old stuff.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
21wickwing
wick2107
1,487 IQ
They are blues rock. Let us leave it at that. blues rock is this giant grey area between blues and rock and inside this music can be associated with either genre very easily. Brothers was a masterpiece albeit less blues but they put more soul music into it. You can tell they loved having more instruments to work with cause they could truly make the music they always wanted to. I would say they are one of the top modern blues bands for sure. They are certainly one of the most distinctive blues bands. Not many people can hear anybody else and say thats the black keys. They have their very unique sound unlike...um Bonamassa.

this is more gut-wrenching blues than most modern blues musicians have had the capacity to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnzIrRykilA
Last edited by 21wickwing at May 28, 2011,
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,337 IQ
so I finally listened to some Joe bonamassa (which my friends told me not to do) because of this thread.

eh ... to say he's traditional is a stretch. he just sounds like SRV but with a worse bass player. and SRV was like the eminem of blues.

I think the black keys, while not a blues band in the strictest sense, have more traditional roots than bonamassa. one friend said he read an interview with different groups and black keys listened mainly to ooold ass stuff while
bonamassa just listened to newer stuff. just what he said.

the whole conversation reminds me of that hilarious scene from ghost world where Seymour goes to see one of his favorite blues guitarists at a bar where he's opening for some blues-rock band of 20-something middle class white kids.
#DTWD
strat-lover87
126 IQ
does anyone else find it funny that a thread that started with "before you say bonamassa and such" became a joe vs black keys thread almost immediately? and why isn't anyone tossin' in the white stripes. They have blues influences that go way back to the thirties, and the black keys early records sound a good bit like the first stripes record.
"The beer I had for breakfast was pretty good, so I had another."
-Cash
Jazz Funeral
O.N. Original Nunt
16 IQ
^ I really only find it funny that they are the only two or three bands that everybody refers to when it comes to Modern Blues.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Quote by Jazz Funeral
^ I really only find it funny that they are the only two or three bands that everybody refers to when it comes to Modern Blues.

Yeah, there's so much more good stuff out there.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian
2,962 IQ
Quote by primusfan
so I finally listened to some Joe bonamassa (which my friends told me not to do) because of this thread.

eh ... to say he's traditional is a stretch. he just sounds like SRV but with a worse bass player. and SRV was like the eminem of blues.

I think the black keys, while not a blues band in the strictest sense, have more traditional roots than bonamassa. one friend said he read an interview with different groups and black keys listened mainly to ooold ass stuff while

the whole conversation reminds me of that hilarious scene from ghost world where Seymour goes to see one of his favorite blues guitarists at a bar where he's opening for some blues-rock band of 20-something middle class white kids.

Bonamassa has that lame tryhard 'white guy 'playing the blues ' ' thing, sounding like he's ripping off albert king licks and clapton and playing with a generic so called 'blues tone'. He's doing everything the correct way and it turns out bland. The black keys however are making their own sound but still are true to the roots of the blues.
21wickwing
wick2107
1,487 IQ
Quote by Zoot Allures
Bonamassa has that lame tryhard 'white guy 'playing the blues ' ' thing, sounding like he's ripping off albert king licks and clapton and playing with a generic so called 'blues tone'. He's doing everything the correct way and it turns out bland. The black keys however are making their own sound but still are true to the roots of the blues.

exactly
Attack&Release
77 IQ
Quote by primusfan

Dan, the frontman/guitarist is the only of the two that listens to blues guitarists like Robert Johnson, Junior Kimbrough, and Son House. Patrick, the drummer, listens to Ohio musicians and is more prevalent on the production side of the music. But to the subject, i wouldn't call them the future of traditional blues, but they still are a good blues act.
willwelsh816
Sittn on top of the world
2,464 IQ
The Black Keys are a blues guitarist and hip hop drummer. They're pretty awesome, got me into r&b, opened my ears. I generally hate most rock music, but they are a pretty good exception
Mack56
mackabre
1,077 IQ
Imo, Patrick's drumming didn't get that hip hop until Brothers (unless he was doing it on Attack & Release, i still haven't listened to that album well enough)
Last edited by Mack56 at Sep 29, 2011,
CPDmusic
I see you.
1,201 IQ
Whether or not they're blues, I saw them live at the Molson Ampatheter, and they were awesome; one of my favorite bands. However, with that being said...
Quote by caw1

They were better as just a duo.

Agreed. I'm not saying Brothers was a bad album, as it's actually a pretty good album. However, let's face the facts:

Magic Potion > Brothers
Attack and Release > Brothers
Rubber Factory >> Brothers
Thickfreakness >>>>> Brothers

The facts.
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Dmaj7
Slightly Chocolate Milk
959 IQ
I like them. They have a blues context when it comes to the notes on the guitar, and they use fuzz which is pretty much like hendrix but the rhythym is way more rock than it is blues.
lithiumvocals
Frontman
25 IQ
I really love Black Keys. Thickfreakness and Rubber Factory both kick ass as blues-rock albums. They make me wish I had a legit fuzz pedal.

As far as modern blues goes...

Yeah, I'D say they're about as good as you can get, but I seem to be slightly outnumbered. While it's true that they're not exactly "true" blues, I think they have enough of a blues influence and style to be considered blues.

But that's just coming from a fan. *shrugs*
"Weaboo hipsters. The things nightmares have nightmares about."

Maybe it wasn't exactly smart to name my profile using a band I'm no longer in.
willwelsh816
Sittn on top of the world
2,464 IQ
The Black Keys did a whole hip hop album, very similar to Brothers called Blakrok or something like that. It got me into a few rappers, and I really like it.

I think Dan's influence comes from a different branch of the blues than someone like Joe Bonamossa or Eric clapton. They seem to fit in with the guitarists who travelled north to chicago and that, but Dan seems to take influence from the guitarists who stayed down south. Somewhat like the White Stripes but without the same crazyness.

the Keys also did a full tribute album to Junior Kimbrough, called Chulahoma. This is kinda how you can tell maybe dan doesn't draw too much influence from alot of chicago guitarists unlike Joe Bonamossa. Both are fine, just The Keys are naturally more raw from the influence and being only two people. Joe is smoother from the influence, and having a much larger band imo

been watching the keys from Thickfreakness, and it's been very cool to see how they progressed, and I really love all their albums.
fmonzo27
dude likes music
1,042 IQ
I would say another band that is really right on the line between blues and blues rock is radio moscow totally awesome band regardless of the genre check them out then discuss
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
lithiumvocals
Frontman
25 IQ
Radio Moscow is pretty dope.
"Weaboo hipsters. The things nightmares have nightmares about."

Maybe it wasn't exactly smart to name my profile using a band I'm no longer in.
fmonzo27
dude likes music
1,042 IQ
word^ also anyone else hear about the new keys album they are already done recording it supposedly its their fastest yet and one song sounds like black sabbath according to dan
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
amosrock
45 IQ
Ok. My opinion on The Black Keys has to be taken with a grain of salt since the first album of theirs I've heard is Brothers and the first time I heard it was this morning.

The first thing I thought of when I heard the album however was blues. It has a strong hip hop influence and is definitely could fit in the rock genre too. But it feels more like blues than anything else...to me. I came in this thread looking for some more info about them (which I've found...thanks everyone. plan to check out earlier stuff).

But one thing that concerns me is the amount of people saying they aren't blues just because they aren't traditional. That's like saying Bone Thugs N Harmony aren't hip hop because they sound nothing like the Sugarhill Gang.

Or saying rock & roll of today isn't actually rock because it doesn't sound anything like it did in the 50's.

Music has to evolve. Why should blues be any different?

With that said I fully intend on checking the old Black Keys stuff (I have one other album that I haven't listened to...can't remember which one) as well as checking out some of the other artists people have mentioned. Thanks for the info everyone.
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian
2,962 IQ
People who think the black keys aren't blues are people who've never bothered listening to anything except the old blues from back in the day (which in all reality sounded quite different, country blues is quite far apart from chicago style band blues)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOzcabkxE0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA4jfEOanIk

is all blues.
KonaNuNu
Tab Contributor
779 IQ
Here is what I would do to create a "modern blues" band (whatever the hell that is)

1) Take the White Stripes
2) Remove Meg White from her role as drummer
3) Add the drummer from the Black Keys (Patrick is his name I believe) to the White Stripes
4) Crank up the overdrive/distortion/feedback/awesomeness
5) Prepare to be blown away
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man
2,962 IQ
Quote by fmonzo27

maybe i havent heard enough of them, but honestly what i have heard from them i wouldnt really consider blues so i would say no. & joe bonamassa is actually gaining popularity.
Quote by primusfan

did you actually listen to him? because he doesnt sound anything like SRV. have you even listened to SRV? lol im sorry but im not sure how anyone could actually think that. as for eminem, im not even sure what that comparison is getting at.

anyways, i like joe's playing a lot. he sounds more like a mix of cream era clapton and eric johnson with some paul kossoff in there. but i think his songs can be kinda hit or miss. he doesnt have a raw blues sound thats for sure, but i dont think every blues musician needs to. i think his new CD has some really good tracks on it. his best songs are probably his non blues songs imo.

honestly though, this is all kinda moot because there never has been a clear cut definition of what "blues" actually is.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Sep 4, 2011,