Hello, folks.

I'm looking into getting a small amp type device that I can carry around with me around my college campus, just for practicing and screwing around. I was looking at either the amPlugs by Vox or the Amplitube iPod/iPhone software. What are some pros/cons of each? I carry my iPod virtually everywhere, but I worry about how fast the app would drain the battery. The cost ends up being about the same for both, I think.

Thanks!
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

I've had both and they're great products.

Amplitube has lots of effects and also the ability to record so i'd say that just edges it though.
I would say the Vox plugins. Those are awesome, and for $30 you can't beat it. And you don't need to carry a cable around with you.

If you really want to go all out, I would get something like the Roland Micro cube. Those are actual amps that can run off batteries or an AC adapter.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I should also point out that another key here is for private practice. So that I can basically be sitting around campus and not bother anyone else unless they put on some headphones and listen. I do like the idea of the record feature on Amplitube. I'm always coming up with little riffs that I can never remember when I practice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the opinions. Looks like it's going to be iRig and the Amplitube app. One more question about the recording feature:

1) I've heard it's a separate download (figures)?
2) How extensive is it? Obviously, I wouldn't do any major recording with it (I have Pro Tools for that), but it certainly would be nice to have a high quality starting point if I ever write a song and am away from my DAW.