hey guys i was going through the chords at the beginning of my last serenade and i move one of the chords c(4) up to the third fret and made up a pretty cool riff in my opinion any way can someone tell me what it's now called so i can write it down

d 1----
a 1----
f -----
c 2---- <original chord
g 3----
c -----

d 3----
a 3----
f -----
c 4---- <new chord
g 5----
c -----
It seems to me that you're borrowing a #4 from the Lydian scale. I agree it is a very cool effect. It reminds me of this song.
thanks i don't know many scales just pentatonic and some to stretch out my fingers once i get the riff down i'll post it here if you guys want to give it a go. it's a nice chord to play around with
In case you were wondering, the two chords are:

Bb D Eb

Bbmaj(add11)

and

C E F

Cmaj(add11)

It's in the key of Bb major though that C major chord is non-diatonic (it "should" be minor).
Quote by Sóknardalr
In case you were wondering, the two chords are:

Bb D Eb

Bbmaj(add11)

and

C E F

Cmaj(add11)

It's in the key of Bb major though that C major chord is non-diatonic (it "should" be minor).

yeah em in case your wondering i play in drop c and in the killswitch engage book it says the original chord is a c(4) a c but play the first fret on the d string (<the high e for those of you in standard)
Quote by cip 123
yeah em in case your wondering i play in drop c and in the killswitch engage book it says the original chord is a c(4) a c but play the first fret on the d string (<the high e for those of you in standard)

Yes I know, I took your tuning into account and those are the notes I got. Two flats = Bb major. #4 = E natural. It doesn't look like a C chord at all to me. Also the "4" is incorrect. If the third is not present it is a sus4 chord whereas if it is present it is an add11 chord.
Yeah you have Bbadd11 and Cadd11. They probably call the first one C instead of Bb because that's what it would be in relation to standard tuning. However, since it's down a whole step, the actual pitch would be Bb.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
thanks guys i've started to try and write some songs and i want to know how to write all the riffs down