Hey, i posted a while ago about problems with song writing and a guy (sean0913) said that it was about my attitude towards song writing.

He said..

'your preconceptions are your biggest problems, not your playing or abilities...its your attitudes that you hold about music writing that you brought to the table before you ever began..'

and he is spot on after i realised.

Problem is, i have no idea what direction to head in to change my attitude about song writing. It rarely affects my other project (dnb) just mostly song writing.

I know im way too critical about what i make aswell but how can i go about changing this?

Thanks
I think what he means is that you are thinking too hard about trying to write and you're not letting it flow freely and come to you.

I'm not so experienced to really help you, but there's a book I'm reading called Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner, I really recommend you read it. It's all about how to rid yourself of all the obstacles that come to you when playing music (like judging yourself, or trying to play the "right" notes) and just let it flow through you.

Could be helpful
Just write. Don't worry if it sounds good, just write. If you come up with a finished product and still don't like it, then throw it away. But the point is, the process is going to give you a lot better experience when you're able to write freely. The more you do this, the better you'll get.

Quote by felakutihimself
I think what he means is that you are thinking too hard about trying to write and you're not letting it flow freely and come to you.

I'm not so experienced to really help you, but there's a book I'm reading called Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner, I really recommend you read it. It's all about how to rid yourself of all the obstacles that come to you when playing music (like judging yourself, or trying to play the "right" notes) and just let it flow through you.

Could be helpful
Hey man, I might pick up that book myself, sounds like a good read.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Apr 30, 2011,
I'm glad I helped.

It's an amazing book, I've had it for 4 days now and I'm already almost done with my second read.

Enjoy