So I currently have 2 roommates. Our lease is up July 31st. I am the only one moving out, and another friend is taking my place. Because of the house not switching hands or anything, there are no security deposits to be paid to landlord for anyone as the majority roommates will continue to occupy the house. So question for all you college/roommate dwellers, is it wrong to ask the said friend thats taking my place to fork over some cash for my original portion of the security deposit?
Dude, aren't you able to get the security deposit back? Go see your landlord.
Assuming they will be given the portion back from the original deposit, I suppose not. I wouldn't because it seems like a bit of a dick move, but it's not entirely unreasonable either.
^ this. Instead of him paying landlord deposit, and landlord giving you you're deposit back, he just gives you your orig deposit.
I've never "re-signed" a lease so maybe I'm wrong, but I would think that you should get 1/3rd or whatever fraction that you payed of the returned security deposit. The 2 returners get their third back too, then pay it as the next years deposit, and the new guy pays his third. If the security deposit carries over form the first year when you re-sign, and isnt returned, have the new guy pay the amount of the security deposit straight to you. Otherwise you're out some money and he doesn't have to pay anything.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Quote by ironman45
I've never "re-signed" a lease so maybe I'm wrong, but I would think that you should get 1/3rd or whatever fraction that you payed of the returned security deposit. The 2 returners get their third back too, then pay it as the next years deposit, and the new guy pays his third. If the security deposit carries over form the first year when you re-sign, and isnt returned, have the new guy pay the amount of the security deposit straight to you. Otherwise you're out some money and he doesn't have to pay anything.

Yeah man you had to pay that to move in and you knew you would get it back if you moved out and didnt cause damage. Your lease is up youre not gonna be signed on to the next one, the new dude has to pay his own.