Me - "How many pages is this paper suppossed to be?"
Professor - "Enough."

Me - "Is there a minimum for references?"
Prof - "Use however many you want."

Me - "What's the topic for this paper?"
Prof - "Whatever you want it to be."

Anyone else have a professor/teacher that was ANNOYINGLY unspecific about assignments?
Just write your damn paper. My high school teachers were like this. Write enough to get your point across, I hate this idea that a paper should be X amount of pages, because the simpler the paper the better. I kind of feel like writing this paper for you, but I don't suggest this, I drank like half a bottle of vodka just now.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Dreadnought
Those answers are awesome. Don't be a bitch!

Exactly.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Those are the best answers.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by tayroar
Just write your damn paper. My high school teachers were like this. Write enough to get your point across, I hate this idea that a paper should be X amount of pages, because the simpler the paper the better. I kind of feel like writing this paper for you, but I don't suggest this, I drank like half a bottle of vodka just now.

Even though you are well on your way to getting drunk, I agree with that. Teachers always told me to get straight to the point, I mean, I still don't. I ramble on for a long while. It makes doing 4 or 5 page essays easy though.
a paper should be like a woman's skirt. long enough to cover everything important, but short enough to keep things interesting.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
At least your professor isn't writing your paper for you. I had to write a paper on Iraq for political science and the professor gave strict instructions to justify the war. He even gave us sources that we had to cite from. I called it unjust, backed up my points with concrete evidence, cited my sources that I used(actual database sources, not just Wikipedia) and I failed.
Last edited by wizards? at Apr 30, 2011,
My tutor is like this. He will not give a straight answer on anything, and sometimes I could swear he's actually trying to make us fail..

Said tutor didn't work a day until he was 60, only got his degree a few years ago and likes to belittle students who play the bass better than him.
Quote by Dreadnought

Quote by element4433

+1
Quote by Dreadnought

Seriously. Most people would love that amount of freedom when writing a paper.
Quote by phlip999
Professor - "Enough."

Yeah I did TS, and here is how the subsequent meetings with the professor went:

Quote by phlip999
Professor - "Enough."

Prof: HOW THE HELL DID YOU THINK THIS WAS ENOUGH? ARE YOU STUPID OR DID YOU COME TO UNIVERSITY TO SPREAD YOUR STUPIDITY AROUND?

Quote by phlip999

Prof: YOU DIDN'T USE ENOUGH REFERENCES, WHO THE F*CK TOLD YOU TO USE THIS MUCH EH?

Quote by phlip999

Prof: GET THE F*CK OUT AND LEARN TO DO THINGS PROPERLY, THEN COME BACK WITH A BETTER TOPIC.

Essentially, that's how it all went.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by daytripper75
Seriously. Most people would love that amount of freedom when writing a paper.

I feel like people are often afraid of freedom. The realization that the teacher isn't there to hold your hand scares so many students. Freedom is difficult people.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Dreadnought

/thread

Point of writing a paper is to present an idea/argument and to back it up by demonstrating you have a solid understanding of whatever it is you're writing about. Page requirements are just arbitrary.
lol there is worst like i live in africa center so my school is the best where i live but still is hugeeee lame... he tell us to make a work about a guy... you don't find him on the internet not on english not on portugeese not spanish not brasilian not at any language.... you ask around.... no1 knows a thing but u have to do it or u have 0...
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
The problem with so much freedom is that most students think they're being concise and write really short papers. But in fact what they're doing is leaving out so many details that they could have otherwise elaborated on and used to support their thesis/argument. I've proofread my classmates' papers and some of them were pretty sorry because of this very reason.
It's called thinking for yourself. It's an appreciated trait in the real world. If you really want people to tell you exactly what you should do and how it should be carried out, go be a secretary or something.

It's not unspecificity, it's freedom.
Quote by whatadrag
It's called thinking for yourself. It's an appreciated trait in the real world. If you really want people to tell you exactly what you should do and how it should be carried out, go be a secretary or something.

It's not unspecificity, it's freedom.

I can think for myself, it's just that when a paper is going to be worth 30% of my grade, I would like to have some sort of sense of direction, especially since this is my first open ended paper ever, in a style I've never written in.
Quote by phlip999
I can think for myself, it's just that when a paper is going to be worth 30% of my grade, I would like to have some sort of sense of direction, especially since this is my first open ended paper ever, in a style I've never written in.

Whats the class on?
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
You have just recieved the easiest assignment in the world, quit your bitchin and DO IIIITTTTTT
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by phlip999
Write a draft, take it to your professor during office hours, and get his input.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Masamune
/thread

Point of writing a paper is to present an idea/argument and to back it up by demonstrating you have a solid understanding of whatever it is you're writing about. Page requirements are just arbitrary.

To be fair, there does need to be an upper limit on words, otherwise your paper won't get read

Asking for numbers of references is silly though, it should be as many as is necessary.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
a paper should be like a woman's skirt. long enough to cover everything important, but short enough to keep things interesting.
Holy shit, that's an awesome analogy. I'm gonna have to remember that one.

Quote by element4433
Seriously, your essay should be however long you need in order to make your point. You shouldn't need a professor to tell you how many words you need to present and defend an argument.

I personally am the kind of person who will make an argument in a paragraph and then feel like I'm being redundant if I go much further than that. I feel like my papers aren't as good as they can be if I have to go beyond a certain length. Be thorough, but don't write more than you personally think you need to write in order to make it an appropriate length. Filler is bad, and will actually detract from your argument.

Professors also don't want to read long papers, even if they're well-written and on-topic. Keep that in mind.

Edit: Write a persuasive essay and make the argument that professors need to be more specific about the parameters of assignments.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Apr 30, 2011,