I just bought a Tiny Terror Combo 12, and when I was reading some reviews before buying, something cropped up a few times.

People seemed to say the amp 'worked really well with pedals'.

What does that mean? What would an amp working badly with pedals entail?

Thanks
Gear
ESP LTD EC-1000 Vintage Black - Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive w/ Sabian Cymbals
means they sound good with pedals....

cheap amps/shitty amps sound bad with pedals, modeling amps useally don't sound too good with pedals, with some exceptions, and tube amps sound good with some pedals.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
means they sound good with pedals....

cheap amps/shitty amps sound bad with pedals, modeling amps useally don't sound too good with pedals, with some exceptions, and tube amps sound good with some pedals.

So If I put a pedal infront of a cheap/shitty amp, the AMP will sound worse?
Quote by bogg808
So If I put a pedal infront of a cheap/shitty amp, the AMP will sound worse?

distortion pedals have the biggest problem with SS amps

they are designed to drive the tubes more

since SS amps dont have tubes it adds the distrotion but it gets really muddy and crappy sounding
Ah, i see. Interesting. Thanks for the info
Gear
ESP LTD EC-1000 Vintage Black - Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive w/ Sabian Cymbals
Quote by rickyj

since SS amps dont have tubes it adds the distrotion but it gets really muddy and crappy sounding

Dude I understand it all, just that Tango616's explanation was misleading.

An amp that *takes pedals well* means that the pedals will sound better through the amp. That is all.
Quote by rickyj

Not Really

Distortion pedals are designed to replicate the clipping created by Tubes, not to push tubes harder.
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Not Really

Distortion pedals are designed to replicate the clipping created by Tubes, not to push tubes harder.

well it clips the signal but also adds gain so it does push the tubes harder
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Not Really

Yeah, he confused dist. pedals with ODs probably.

Not to say that dist. pedals don't usually sound band through SS amps-they do. But dist. pedals and all TS based ODs (correct me if I'm wrong) have their own clipping circuit to create that sound.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by rickyj
well it clips the signal but also adds gain so it does push the tubes harder

Sure, but that's not what they're designed to do.

It wasn't until the '80s that people started using OD pedals to hit the front end of their amp harder to get more saturation.

And pretty much, OP, an amp that takes pedals well sounds good with most configurations of pedals.

An amp that takes pedals poorly (for instance, an amp with a bad effects loop configuration) won't sound as good with as wide a variety of pedals.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ok heres the thing. Distortion pedals are pretty much made FOR cheap solid state amps to give it a decent distortion. This would be played through the clean section of the amp.

OD pedals (or low gain distortion pedals) are to put on the front of tube amps to give the amp a more distorted sound, and I wouldn't say drive the tubes harder, because that is not what is giving the audible difference. As in, if I cranked my amp by itself to the point where the tubes were working really hard hard, it would sound very different to lower volume with an OD pedal. The OD pedal will give it a more... I really can't describe, almost like it has a tiny bit of wah? Anyway, basically it gives a really cool sound.

If you were trying to put an OD in front of the distortion on an SS amp, it would sound like ass...
Quote by Blick71
Yeah, he confused dist. pedals with ODs probably.

What makes you think distortion and OD pedals work that different?

Boost pedals are designed to drive your amp harder (make the signal stronger). OD/distortion pedals are made to distort the signal.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Ok heres the thing. Distortion pedals are pretty much made FOR cheap solid state amps to give it a decent distortion.

You are so very very very wrong and fail on so many levels

Distortion pedals ewre designed to be run the the clean of a tube amp. All dirt pedals when in R&D would have been tested through tube amps. fact. Tube amps (especially the good ones) always help them sound best so why not design it on a good platform?
Quote by bogg808

An amp that *takes pedals well* means that the pedals will sound better through the amp. That is all.

that is what I said.

"takes pedals well" = sound good.
"doesnt take pedals well" = sound bad.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by bogg808
You are so very very very wrong and fail on so many levels

Distortion pedals ewre designed to be run the the clean of a tube amp. All dirt pedals when in R&D would have been tested through tube amps. fact. Tube amps (especially the good ones) always help them sound best so why not design it on a good platform?

Really? So nobody tests them through SS amps? The data you used to reach thins conclusion?

Distortion and Overdrive are made to provide their own distortion. People often turn down the distortion and use them as a clean boost in front of valve amps but it is not their originally designed purpose. If they were just meant to drive a valve amp harder they wouldn't have a distortion/drive knob.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ +1

clean and treble boosts are designed for that.

Going back to the original question, "takes pedals well" normally refers to od/distortion/boost/fuzz pedals.

E.g. people will often say, "It doesn't have that much gain but it takes pedals well", meaning you can run a pedal into it to get more gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Really? So nobody tests them through SS amps? The data you used to reach thins conclusion?

Distortion and Overdrive are made to provide their own distortion. People often turn down the distortion and use them as a clean boost in front of valve amps but it is not their originally designed purpose. If they were just meant to drive a valve amp harder they wouldn't have a distortion/drive knob.

From Mr Mike Fuller.

Typically, pedals don't sound good through SS. Some of these designers might just be taking the easier platform. Imagine disigning a distortion pedal to sound good through a MG...
Well considering that Boss are made by Roland, I should imagine that most of their pedals are indeed tested through a Jazz Chorus and designed to sound good through one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well they sure as hell aren't designed to sound good through any amp i have, that's for sure.

(kidding... half)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In with the Boss hate huh? But seriously, there was a time when heaps of guys used to run pedals in front of JC120's. It's actually a very good platform for it. I refuse to swallow that they (and others) don't ever test pedals through clean SS amps like the JC120.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well considering that Boss are made by Roland, I should imagine that most of their pedals are indeed tested through a Jazz Chorus and designed to sound good through one.

I wasn't referring to Boss/Rolandcorp....
Quote by bogg808
Your explanation made it sound like if there is a pedal in the chain the AMP will sound bad.

Just teasing.

well, it WILL.

seeing as the sound is comming from the amp, regardless which one is making the tone bad
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Cathbard
In with the Boss hate huh? But seriously, there was a time when heaps of guys used to run pedals in front of JC120's. It's actually a very good platform for it. I refuse to swallow that they (and others) don't ever test pedals through clean SS amps like the JC120.

nah i mean i was half joking. Some of them are alright.

Not much keen on their buffers, though. Not sure how much of it is psychological, but i always feel like i can tell boss pedals are in my chain, for some reason. Also not too keen on boss' dirt boxes, they have something annoying in the high frequencies which I don't like.

But i agree that a company so well-known for solid state stuff is probably trying its pedals through solid state amps as well as tube. If not instead of.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WtrPlyr
No

Um, yes.

If an amp sucks, and a pedal is good, = bad/meh tone
if a pedal sucks, and the amp is good, = bad/meh tone
if a pedal is good, and the amp is good/"takes it well" = good tone.

it doesn't matter which one sucks out of the first two options, the sound will still be comming from the speaker inside the amp, they will just be two different kinds of bad tone, they'll just be different.
ಠ_ಠ

^ yeah pretty much Edit: the pedal doesn't even have to be bad, even if it just doesn't suit the amp, or if the amp is a good amp but doesn't like pedals...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 1, 2011,
Quote by bogg808

This.

It's not limited to SS or cheap amps either - there are plenty of expensive amps that don't mesh too well with effects.

The Trainwreck Express and its clones springs to mind.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
yeah my v2 valve junior takes pedals amazingly well
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?