So last night I was playing a show and I guess I got too into it, cut my finger on my strings, and started bleeding all over my guitar. I still had another song and a half left in the set list so I had to keep going and as you can tell I got more blood on the guitar.

So, now my guitar has quite a lot of blood stains on it and I'm not sure how to get them off without damaging the wood. Any suggestions?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Why would you do such a thing? That's a mark of passion, my "go crazy and smash as hard as you can on the strings" guitar is pretty much drenched in blood.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

What kind of finish does your guitar have that you can't just wipe it off with a household cleaner? Is it actually bare wood?
I'm really debating leaving it on there, but I'm afraid it's too unsanitary if anyone else ever wants to pick my guitar up for a second.

It's a gold top, but I thought household cleaner could damage the finish.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
You could put a bit of clear finish over the blood-stains... that could solve your sanitary issue
this seems more like a "see how badass other people think this is" thread...
When I was 5 i knew that you could clean blood off a surface with water and a wet napkin..
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
you can use any cleaner that does not have an acohol base so no windex or bleach. If you dont have anything without acohol, then just be sure you use lemon oil after you use the cleaner.
Just use a gentle general purpose cleaner, wipe it right off, then wash the reside off with a cotton cloth dampened with soapy water, and then wipe it dry to keep the water from spotting. Don't use Simple Green, Pine Sol, citrus cleaners, or anything else that's made for cleaning thick grease, because they can damage paint.
Ok thanks everyone this helped a lot! I was just going to use a clorox wipe before and it sounds like that would have been a very bad idea.
pics before you clean it off?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by SKArface McDank
When I was 5 i knew that you could clean blood off a surface with water and a wet napkin..

He said it's the sanitariness that he's worried about.

Apparently you still haven't realized that just because you can't see everything doesn't mean it's not there.
That actually looks really good. I say leave it.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Lol I don't know how everyone manages to cut themselves playing.. I've never gotten cut by strings. Btw with all that you sure the strings didn't amputate your finger? I bet that hurt like a bitch
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon
Lol I don't know how everyone manages to cut themselves playing.. I've never gotten cut by strings. Btw with all that you sure the strings didn't amputate your finger? I bet that hurt like a bitch

Yeah man, I actually wish my guitar would cut my finger.
Quote by Lovecannon

I've never actually cut my self but sometimes if I have an existing cut /scab on my fingers then as it rubs against the strings it can open up again.

To Original poster: I say leave it on!
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
That's just so bad ass :L
I'd make myself bleed over my own guitar, but I'd mess it up n die somehow ¬.¬ XD
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
That's actually pretty ****ing metal. I dig it.

I'd say leave it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
How the f**k does that even happen?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
If you guys want the same thing to happen to you, just make sure the pick isn't sticking out far enough, that's how I think it happened with me XD. Everytime I'd hit the guitar strings they would actually scrape against the skin near my nail, so I started bleeding.

And to the guy who said it must have hurt...I didn't notice it until I looked down.
I am disappoint. I was expecting to see a guitar soaked in blod, like if someone had killed a person with it.
BTW sanitary issues ? What, you have some terminal illness that transfers through blood ( oh god I hope you dont have AIDS or something, cause that'll make me look like such an asshole )? Unless you're a neatfreak, just leave it, gives your guitar some character.
A damp cloth would suffice. NOT wet, just slightly damp. Otherwise maybe pump-polish (Gibson) or that polish/cleaner from Dunlop.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
I have done the same exact thing hahaha. I say leave it. I did and it actually made the guitar look somewhat better.
clearcoat over it in light layers? Itll be sanitary if you completely cover it
then just let the blood layers build up
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Eh, it doesn't look to bad, just take some damp towels/rags to it if you want it off.
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Sell it to Thomas Gurrath. I think he would actually pay for it. I would say try the above or find a way to seal it.
I once impaled a man on the head of my Jackson DKMG Dinky (Japanese model). The blood that dripped down onto the body of the guitar came off easily enough, but the neck had only a slight wax finish on it, so, sadly, there was some significant staining. My tech advised that I could have it refinished, but, truth be told, I've become quite fond of the stains, so....
Quote by SKArface McDank

+1 same thing was just in the bass forum, I even hear tell that spit on the finger works wonders
I would personally leave it on if it would discourage people from using my guitar. I hate it when people use my guitar without asking.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay