I've had my rack up and running with my new Voodoo Labs GCX/Ground Control for a couple months now but I still need to set up my PODxt and my dbx266xl to it. My problem is that its REALLY messy in the rack right now with all the damn wires and I want to clean that up a bit. My lil bro said they sell "kits" that allow you to make your own wires and that I'd be able to get them all nice and neat. Should I check out what he said or is there a better way?
I make all my own patch leads for my rack. That way I can make them exactly the right length, it certainly makes it neater.
There are some solderless jobbies out there, I think Planet Waves make a solderless connector. Better still, learn to solder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Make sure you keep all signal cables to one side, and all power cables to the other side. That'll help cut down noise.
Like Cath said, making your own cables is cheaper and will give you neater results. I've seen Lava solderless cables used, and Planet Waves make a similar system. You can buy individual jacks and rolls of cable, but they're more expensive than non-solderless jacks & cable.
Yea, cut all of your cables to length and use a gratuitous amount of wire ties. Look at CAE, Rack Systems and LA Sound Design rigs to get an idea of what you should aim for.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I looked at the thing you guys and my bro were talking about. It's like $80 for 10' of cable and a couple solder-less tips. I didn't think it'd be that expensive. I know I'd still save a lot of money with that compared with whatever else. I was thinking like REALLY basic though. Could I go to radio shack and buy basic wire and get some 1/4" plugs and make shit tons of wires? Would that be noisy as hell since they wouldn't be covered?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You can't just use wire. It needs to be shielded. By haunting ebay I got a 100 ft roll of Planet Waves cable for $20.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
1. Make the cables as short as possible
2. Color code the cables for their type and function for easy replacement and identification
3. Tie cables of the same typoe together where possible. Don't mix power and signal cables though!
4. Use good quality shielded cables for low noise, and save yourself some problem shooting
WTLTL 2011