Has anybody had any personal experience with this head? I know it's solid state, but everything I've heard about it has been rather positive. Even the reviews on this site are very positive (in the high 8's). The reason I ask is because I am playing in a deathcore style band over the summer with a few buds doing some shows and need a decent head and I REALLY don't have the cash for a 500 plus dollar head (considering I need a cab as well). I'm not really a solid state hater anyway as I've never really had a problem with the solid state spider heads I've tried haha. So how is it? Thanks guys!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Well, it makes a good paperweight.

How much do you wanna spend?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Not a super lot haha like 400 most in all honesty for the head...
Taylor 214CE

Maybe boost a Jet city? That should do nicely.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

The 20W one? Is that powerful enough to get over a full band with a 4X12 cab?
Taylor 214CE

CLeans wont be pristine, but it should be fine.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Maybe boost a Jet city? That should do nicely.

Boosted Jet City for Deathcore... Doesn't add up to me.

He could get a used 6505/5150, which would be a far wiser choice in my opinion.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
The other guitarist in my band is running a 6505+ through a Mesa 4x12 cab but I've looked and can't find a 6505 head for 400... like 650 at a minimum... I would love to but I just don't have the cash... even 400 is more than I want to be spending. I was legitimately thinking the TBX150H and a B-52 LS-412 as from what I've heard it is a great sounding combo for around 500 bucks.
Taylor 214CE

Quote by Krauser
The other guitarist in my band is running a 6505+ through a Mesa 4x12 cab but I've looked and can't find a 6505 head for 400... like 650 at a minimum... I would love to but I just don't have the cash... even 400 is more than I want to be spending. I was legitimately thinking the TBX150H and a B-52 LS-412 as from what I've heard it is a great sounding combo for around 500 bucks.

The TBX-150 isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be really... My mate used to have one and ran it with an Orange 4x12. It could easily do Death Metal and the like, but it isn't an overly "warm" amp. It sounds quite cold and thin, although it cuts pretty damned well.

If you can, try to hunt down a used Bugera 333XL. They would easily be flogged for $400 in the used US market, there are no reliability problems anymore (providing your amp was made in 2009 onwards). The 333XL is the best bang for your buck amplifier I could think of in the <$500 used price range.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
The TBX-150 isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be really... My mate used to have one and ran it with an Orange 4x12. It could easily do Death Metal and the like, but it isn't an overly "warm" amp. It sounds quite cold and thin, although it cuts pretty damned well.

If you can, try to hunt down a used Bugera 333XL. They would easily be flogged for $400 in the used US market, there are no reliability problems anymore (providing your amp was made in 2009 onwards). The 333XL is the best bang for your buck amplifier I could think of in the <$500 used price range.

Nice I'll check one of them out and look around. And like I said, I may be a weirdo, but I actually kind of like the cold sound of a solid state and very much appreciate the tightness the TBX150H offers. I assume anything is possible with a decent EQ tweak. In reality, I could walk away with a brand new one and a cab for about 500 but I'll def look at the Bugera.

EDIT: I'm checking out sound clips and vids of the Bugera... jesus does it have wonderful tone. If I can hunt one down for that price, I'm set. Plus it's sexy looking lol
Taylor 214CE

Last edited by Krauser at May 1, 2011,
Quote by Krauser

You wont find a 6505 head at the price you want. You will find a 5150 head at the price you want.
I've used the TBX 65w combo, I loved the sounds I could get from it. While I was at highschool I had a chance to buy an amp for them, picked the TBX. Worked out nicely, it's been taking a fair amount of abuse (and people playing bass through it, argh) and as far as I know, it's still going.

I used it for a couple of performances, got to practice through it quite a lot. At one performance I picked it over the Spider 2 halfstack the guest band brought, and sounded a **** ton better than the people who played through the spider Bit quieter, but alot better. Spider had a really thin and non-ballsy sound to it.

For what it was, IE a solid state amp, it really did well. The parametric EQ took some getting used to, but the variety of sounds it gives really gives you the opportunity to shape your own personal sound. The clean had a nice little sparkle to it, and also did quite well with my friend who played alot of rhythm guitar. Took pedals well too, my other friends used alot of multi effects with it. Didn't mix too well with the clean gain, but that was easy to fix.

I did notice the X-mode on it changed the sound a bit too much for my liking, cutting the bass and boosting the mids ever slightly too much, but other than that, I loved the hell out of that amp.

Hope that's of some help
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Thanks for the insight 8footsativaist. If I can't find a steal on a decent tube, I'm going with the Ibanez head. I really liked all the soundclips I've heard from it and I'm going to give one a shot at a GC or something when I get done with college in a few days haha. Thanks. And I'll keep the Bugera in mind as well.
Taylor 214CE

Quote by GS LEAD 5
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
/thread.

That's a combo amp and the 120 head is too expensive for my tastes... Like I said, I actually very much like a good SS amp... I guess it's just preference. How's the Randall RX120RH? Right now, in all reality with the money I want to spend without having to hunt used gear without trying it, it's between the TBX150H and the Randall RX120RH.
Taylor 214CE

Last edited by Krauser at May 1, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
/thread.

If he is playing deathcore mainly/only then why buy something that is a jack of all trades but master of none?

I would also add the Crate Blue Voodoo to the list. Great amp! Fair heavy, while dirt cheap and has a fair decent clean channel.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at May 1, 2011,
There are a lot of good, somewhat obscure options out there. A Bugeras 626X will be the best you can get for your price range though. A 333 would be next, but at that rate, just get a Peavey Ultra. I see them go for $300, and that is the original the 333 clones anyway. There's also the Peavey XXX which is a rehoused Ultra.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Mopy
If he is playing deathcore mainly/only then why buy something that is a jack of all trades but master of none?

I would also add the Crate Blue Voodoo to the list. Great amp! Fair heavy, while dirt cheap and has a fair decent clean channel.

outside the axe fx i would say the vypyr 60 is the master of high gain for modeling amps.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
outside the axe fx i would say the vypyr 60 is the master of high gain for modeling amps.

I never said it wasn't, although I personally wouldn't recommend a modeler to someone who only plays on the lead channel. Kind of makes the other models/features redundant don't you think?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Krauser
That's a combo amp and the 120 head is too expensive for my tastes... Like I said, I actually very much like a good SS amp... I guess it's just preference. How's the Randall RX120RH? Right now, in all reality with the money I want to spend without having to hunt used gear without trying it, it's between the TBX150H and the Randall RX120RH.

You really dont want a cheap solid state. Ive gone that route (as im sure the vast marjoity of guitar players have) and have found tubes simply do better overall. Tube amps can even do any kind of metal way better than a solid state. And really if you want a good stack your gonna have to spend the money. You have to get a good cab. The cabs that come with most of these solid state amps are utter crap (a huge reason why the solid state stacks sound so bad). At the very least get yourself a good cab.

Look at Bugera 6260 or a used 5150 or something like that as has already been stated. You will thank us later. Honestly even the combo versions will serve you well.

Edit: The Blue Voodoo suggestion is a good one too. Pretty underrated metal amp IMO.
Last edited by guitarpatrick66 at May 2, 2011,