Hi since half cabs are more expensive , i was wondering if the sound of them is better then the combo amps? f. e. a marshall MA head with a cab or a marshall MA combo

grtzz
-fender stratocaster deluxe - Mexican
-spider line 6 , 50watt 2x 12'
-ashdown fallen angel tube amplifier. 60 watt head , 130 cabinet 36RL premium duette tubes
range of effects : EHX, boss, artcore,line 6 ...
well if your gonna get a half cab youll probably run into problems as not many people sell cabs that are cut into half

/tr0l

Well really, you probably mean half 'stack'. So to answer your question, a half stack does sound better than a combo in most cases, they are harder to move though. They spread sound better.

But the real reply to your question is:

Why Marshall?
well if your gonna get a half cab youll probably run into problems as not many people sell cabs that are cut into half

this.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
don't buy the MA, no wait don't buy a marshall (except its a jcm 800 or older)
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
Quote by gorrath

wot
Depends. A well made combo loaded with decent speakers will sound good, much better in fact than a head running through a rubbish cab.

However, a half stack will give you a lot more options construction wise (Open/closed back, often better quality woods), speaker wise (112/212/210/412 etc) and it will actually make the thing easier to move around (Any decent combo amp is gonna weigh upwards of 45lbs, with a half stack you can spread the weight into head/cab)

And for what the MA costs, you can do a LOT better. I mean there are still good marshalls out there, but in my experience the MA is not one of them.
The UG opinion of the MA series Marshall is that they seem to be the valve equivalent of an MG. I would save up a bit more.

I love the sound of a half stack. There's just a lot more depth to it and it looks badass. But, if you had two amps, one head/ cab and one combo and they were the same price, I'd bet that the combo would be the better of the two.
Quote by gorrath

i think price/quality the MA is very nice in sound lol , your cab is marshall ... 1960 cab is one of the best cabs i know
-fender stratocaster deluxe - Mexican
-spider line 6 , 50watt 2x 12'
-ashdown fallen angel tube amplifier. 60 watt head , 130 cabinet 36RL premium duette tubes
range of effects : EHX, boss, artcore,line 6 ...
Quote by fearblaster
i think price/quality the MA is very nice in sound lol , your cab is marshall ... 1960 cab is one of the best cabs i know

This forum likes to hate on newer marshalls and equate everything they make now to their MG series.

If you like the MA then go for it. I'd rather have a half stack, tone wise. As for mobility and transportation I'd rather have a combo. However I don't know how good the MA cab is, you'd be better of getting a 1960 Marshall cab.

Before you buy go and try out as many amps in your price range as you can before you make up your mind. Even though people on here exaggerate the quality of newer marshalls, some of it is true. The MA is not a great amp for the price IMO.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401