How strong is chipboard?

I've got a shed load of chipboard, and I need to make a chassis for an amp head, with no money to buy ply...

So how will the chipboard hold up? With all the screws and glue and handles and whatnot?
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
There's different types but they're usually all pretty weak and not good at holding together. The stuff with veneer on it holds up longer than the plain stuff though. I've had a couple of things made from the stuff but the screws tend to pull out or make cracks in the surface. If you want to use it though you might be able to laminate some stronger wood onto it. I'd just go get ply instead...
Last edited by matt154 at May 1, 2011,
def wont last as long as ply, but you should get a pretty good innings out of it before screws start to tear out. most likely at the handle.

but put it this way, the desk your pc is sitting on is probably chipboard, so she'll be right.
if you have heaps, you could do some test joints...

I probably wouldn't though... I dont think it will last long
---
Let's do it! We can build a chipboard and sheet metal amp. Itl be like a hillbilly metal-heads dream! Haha

OT: It is veneered, but I doubt Its too strong... Think I'l hold off and get some decent ply if it's the safer option... Don't want the handle splitting and my 6505 falling down the stairs haha.

However... I WAS intending on using side-mounted handles, like on a cab, seeing as that's how I carry heads anyways, so I think it'd make life easier.

Moral of the story - use ply for the amp head, use the chip-board to build a ferret hutch? Haha
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
I have tons of chipboard too, I use it to make shelves/cupboards/ whatever doesn't need to look nice in my garage. They last fairly well if you make them well.
Its horrible stuff though, save up for ply, especially for something thats moved around as much as an amp.

And chipboard outside basically turns into a sponge. Don't make a hutch

As a quick tip, builders throw away EVERYTHING. Including ply. try going skip diving around local building sites. it may be ugly, but your going to cover it anyway, right?
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
True point... I didn't think of the mushiness that chip turns into...

Theres alot of building sites and the like round here so I'l keep an eye out.

Might see what I can make out of this chip-board... Maybe a 2x12 cab or something?

Hmmm...
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...