Page 2 of 2
Quote by '93
but thats the whole point of using modes...resolving to the different notes results in a different sound

however A dorian is still in the key of G major, just using putting emphasis on different notes, mainly A and its argeggio

Unfortunately that's incorrect mate. In the key of G major, everything resolves to G. So if you play the A dorian scale, you're just playing the notes of G major in the key of G major and are just playing G major.

No different sound is created, you're just starting the scale on a different note. Certain members of this forum did convince themselves that it sounded entirely different, this "starting on a note other than the root", but it really doesn't. It's great you've learnt that you can start on any note you wish, but it has nothing to do with modes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Sean0913
As to who I am, I am just another user on this forum carrying no more or less privlige than another user. However, I teach this [...]

Listen up young'un, this is some yoda knowledge shit being dropped on you here. Word up and respect it. And the oz, mate.

Billions of light years away stars are burning out and there's countless chemical reactions taking place inside your body, and someone's having a tantrum about modes on an internet forum. The system works, people. It works.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
I think people are getting confused between being in a certain key and using a certain key's key signature.

A Dorian is in A Dorian. However, it uses G Major's key signature. This does NOT mean it's in G Major. It just has the same accidentals.
Quote by '93
but thats the whole point of using modes...resolving to the different notes results in a different sound

however A dorian is still in the key of G major, just using putting emphasis on different notes, mainly A and its argeggio

So E minor scale is in the key of G major too?
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by DiminishedFifth
No.

Read my post.

I think there's many things going on in this thread. However your point is a valid one, that the key signature of G is common amongst A dorian mode, E minor key and the other ones which share the same notes.

As we both know, that's where the similarities end, but yes, it's a valid point.
Soundcloud
Quote by DiminishedFifth
No.

Read my post.

He was asking a rhetorical question to mock OP. Carry on.
modes are a social construct
OI, PEOPLE... PLEASE! I did not intend this to become a theory argument!

All I was wanting to know really, was what was used to construct Plug In Baby's intro riff.

Not to mention that entire argument is going over my simple bloke-ish mind. I myself don't need to know the difference between a mode and a scale as of this moment in time... so please stop the argument. Take it to the pit, chat or something. It doesn't belong here. Sorry to put it so bluntly, and I do know it was started in trying to help... but it has gone to far now.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves

All I was wanting to know really, was what was used to construct Plug In Baby's intro riff.

Not to mention that entire argument is going over my simple bloke-ish mind. I myself don't need to know the difference between a mode and a scale as of this moment in time... so please stop the argument. Take it to the pit, chat or something. It doesn't belong here. Sorry to put it so bluntly, and I do know it was started in trying to help... but it has gone to far now.

Well this is a music theory forum.

I gave you the correct answer before, it's the minor scale with accidentals.
Soundcloud
Quote by Outside Octaves

"Discussions" about modes happen fairly often here in Musician Talk. It just so happens that your innocent thread, like many before and many to come, has become a causality of one of these "discussions."
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Dream Floyd
I'm pretty sure I recall reading an article in total guitar that Matt makes use of the harmonic scale frequently in his music. When I first started playing guitar and was in a better place than I am now I amassed quite a big collection of guitars, amps, and effects and Matt was my idol. I studied his composing and like I say it's the one scale (harmonic I think) that seems to underpin most tracks. Total genius!! I did however in time lean more towards john squire as my ultimate guitar hero!!
Page 2 of 2