I'm hoping that in a few months time I will be able to have enough money to buy a new guitar. I play a bit of everything, but since I'm going to be in a 2man band, and also making my own stuff, I'd like a guitar that could handle heavy/prog metal, as well as light, bluesy stuff. I have a Fender Standard (not American) Strat and an Epi LP already.

I was wondering, what brands should I look into? I'll probably be looking at Gibson, Schecter, MusicMan/Sterling, are there other not really huge name brands you guys could recommend?

Also, does anyone know if I should take into consideration a John Petrucci signature Sterling guitar, this one for instance?
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/JP50-John-Petrucci-Signature-Electric-Guitar.site1prod580993.product
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
I'm hoping that in a few months time I will be able to have enough money to buy a new guitar. I play a bit of everything, but since I'm going to be in a 2man band, and also making my own stuff, I'd like a guitar that could handle heavy/prog metal, as well as light, bluesy stuff. I have a Fender Standard (not American) Strat and an Epi LP already.

I was wondering, what brands should I look into? I'll probably be looking at Gibson, Schecter, MusicMan/Sterling, are there other not really huge name brands you guys could recommend?

Also, does anyone know if I should take into consideration a John Petrucci signature Sterling guitar, this one for instance?
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/JP50-John-Petrucci-Signature-Electric-Guitar.site1prod580993.product

What's your budget? I'd say go for what I have, a yamaha sg2000. It ways a ton though, thats the only problem. Beautiful guitars for a ridiculously cheap price for what they are.
Yeah, should've added my budget...

My budget is between $5500/600 to approximately $800.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
For some reason, every music man guitar I've ever played, played like crap. Maybe it's just me but I've never been impressed at all with them. Play them yourself, but I like guitars 1/4 their price better.

It depends on your amp more than your guitar. And a spider won't stand up on stage, plus sound. Look into a jet city 50w head and cab combo. Should come in under 800. And I've seen it pull off those sounds. You'd be surprised how epic your guitars sound through a good amp. They'll pull off that sound you're looking for
Take a look at ESP, Ibanez, Jackson and Dean.
Try the Ibanez RG series?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Chad11491
For some reason, every music man guitar I've ever played, played like crap. Maybe it's just me but I've never been impressed at all with them. Play them yourself, but I like guitars 1/4 their price better.

It depends on your amp more than your guitar. And a spider won't stand up on stage, plus sound. Look into a jet city 50w head and cab combo. Should come in under 800. And I've seen it pull off those sounds. You'd be surprised how epic your guitars sound through a good amp. They'll pull off that sound you're looking for

Thank you. My Line 6 Spider is okay for the moment, but I do want to get a better amp. I'll check around at amps and see what I can find. And I'll check out the music man guitars to see how they fare for me.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day