There's these "promoters" around my area. But what is a "promoter" you ask? Some kid who just graduated high school that books shows for profit. The local venue here costs $180 to rent (i think). They rent out the place, find 4 or 5 bands, make them sell 10 tickets for $10 each, they then keep that money and then whatever you sell after that you keep. Although some kid's deal was you sell 25 tickets and any tickets you sell after that you kept $2 from the $10 (needless to say i told the kid to **** off and he's a dumb idiot, also his shows FAIL)

Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this is a bad thing. I book shows through these dudes all the time due to the venue's actual shows are booked through July already.

I was just wondering if this is like this everywhere? Maybe you do it yourselves? If so, what are some tips cause me and my friend are gonna start doing this to raise money for our band, for our wallets, and for various charities as well.

If not, i just gave everyone a great idea on how to make money so have fun haha
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Ive heard of cases like that, only the 'promoter' sells you the tickets that you have to sell to your friends etc. and if you dont sell enough you end up making a loss.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
It's like this by me....only worse. All the venues here are run by East Coast Independent. This company has a choke hold on the music scene in my area. They make you sell at least 25 tickets at $10 (or sometimes more) a pop. If you fall short of your quota, even by 1 ticket, they won't let you play. On top of that, they still take all of the money you made them. They also book only hardcore/ scene bands. And it's not like we can just rent the venue without them having a hand in it because all the local venues like Eleanor Rigby's and The Croc Rock, are freaking owned by them. Promoters are the devil
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Yeah most promoters aren't promoters, they just run nights. Thats it. My band has started only playing shows with free entry on the door or things we organise ourselves. Theres no point trying to charge my mates $10 on the door for music they're only half into.
Quote by vmanoman
It's like this by me....only worse. All the venues here are run by East Coast Independent. This company has a choke hold on the music scene in my area. They make you sell at least 25 tickets at $10 (or sometimes more) a pop. If you fall short of your quota, even by 1 ticket, they won't let you play. On top of that, they still take all of the money you made them. They also book only hardcore/ scene bands. And it's not like we can just rent the venue without them having a hand in it because all the local venues like Eleanor Rigby's and The Croc Rock, are freaking owned by them. Promoters are the devil

Wow dude, that is really rough. Why not hit some small function rooms in your area and see if there is an independent individual willing to rent them every once and a while to hold shows and compete with those big business guys? I'm sure there are places you can play if you look hard enough and maybe go a little out of your way in terms of distance.
I've tried shit like that dude. Every time I've organized a show at either a barn or an empty store front (with permission from the owners!!!) cops break it up because we need some kind of "noise permit" issued from the county. It's really a shame that people have to be dicks about local shows. It makes my eyes rain.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
I book occassionly. My thing is I dont think any band should sell tickets to play. Only to help promote the show and appeal to the cheaper side of things at discounted prices. My competitors try to pull that quota bullshit. The best thing to do is find a bar or something and make it your venue. As in if someone wants to book there or play there they go through you. Undercut everyone else, cheap shows like five bucks. If you book right you WILL get known for the cheapest and best shows. But remember always give back to your sceen because with out the kids coming out you wouldnt make shit for money
dude that sucks vmanoman

and ya i agree with you david. there's 2 kids who're the best around here and its cause they dont really give a crap if you sell the tix, as long as you try and stuff.

Going off of Tyler.Allain's idea. thats what we're trying to do. me and my pal nick have been driving around town looking for community centers or parks with rent-able pavillions and what not to get shows there just cause no one other than 1 place really books local bands here
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Pay to play is simply a scam. The promoters make all the cash, and the shows generally suck because they do very little "promoting" of it. You're better off teaming up with other bands and doing it yourself.

I recently enquired about the Global Battle of the Bands also, they have a very similar system going on, except you have to pay AUS$33 a BAND MEMBER to just enter the battle of the bands. Geez thanks guys.

However the primary promoter in my area is nothing like that. There's weekly gigs which feature 3-4 bands. You don't need demos to get a gig. Basically you rock up, do a 45 minute set for which your band will be paid $50, and there's also a tip jar which goes around the audience. The tips are split up 4 ways between the bands. I think that the promoter makes his money by taking a percentage of the tips made, drinks sold and a flat fee from the bar. It's free entry so quite a few people pop over for drinks.

If not many people show up, it's basically because the promoter hasn't done his job right, and he takes the fall (cash-wise) for that in terms of lower tips and drink sales. Of course that rarely happens, and is a nice little money earner for the bloke.

If this system isn't up and running in your local area, there sure is an opportunity to make one.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud