Greetings:
I noticed on my newly purchased mxr 10 band that, everytime i touch the footswitch with my hands, it would make a little pop sound, just like the one you get from touching a low class guitar bridge or string which is not grounded or shielded perfectly. I tried it on difference power plugs, and there was once when the problem seemed to be less freqent, Took me like 10 "touches" to get one "pop" .
My pedal is running through a DC brick alone. Sounds like a faulty grounding problem with the pedal? or just grounding of the amp and the guitar? BTW every guitar i have played so far, everytime you touch any metal part, it helps reducing the hum, so i was wondering if there are actually any guitar that would stay silent even when you r not grounding the strings?
THX in advance, sorry if this seems like a small problem, just wanted to make sure that my pedal is fine
Last edited by RayL at May 1, 2011,
Footswitch's throw is probably a bit loose.

Any non-buffered switch will pop when you engage/disengage it if they don't have a bleeder resistor to ground.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Footswitch's throw is probably a bit loose.

Any non-buffered switch will pop when you engage/disengage it if they don't have a bleeder resistor to ground.

I didn't mean when i engage or disengage them, i meant when i touch them, so ground them with my body? is that the right term?
If it's loose inside, touching it could be disengaging it momentarily.

If you shake the pedal, does it pop as well?

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
If it's loose inside, touching it could be disengaging it momentarily.

If you shake the pedal, does it pop as well?

sry haven't tried that yet, ill get to you when i am done.
BTW, it's not possible that it's the grouding issue of the amp/ guitar? just since that the switch is in the chain, so touching the switch of the same affect as if i was touching the strings, at least that's my previous very unprofessional guess.

EDIT: Now thinking back, i recall not hearing the same pop when touching the switch my shoes, so mayb it has nothing to do wiith loose stuff? cuz the result from touching it with my shoes and fingers r different.
If it was a grounding problem, you can tell by opening the pedal back and touching the bare, unpainted metal.

If it does the same thing, it's a grounding issue, since the switch is electrically connected to the casing as well.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
If it was a grounding problem, you can tell by opening the pedal back and touching the bare, unpainted metal.

If it does the same thing, it's a grounding issue, since the switch is electrically connected to the casing as well.

in this case, would the grounding problem b from the pedal? once when i switched to a different pair of power outlets for my dc brick and amp, the pop phenomenon occured much less.
EDIT: btw it's not a huge pop in anyway, it's a small pop, and it's not everytime i touch the switch, it's sometimes when i touch the switch, also it's always with my bare skins, non conducting materials don't work