So this coming August I'm going off to college a good 3 hours away from home, and one thing I really wanted to do is start/join a band once I'm there. My question is......has anyone ever had any success doing this? I'll be living in a dorm and all, but I was curious because most of the local bands in my area, that I know of at least, all go to like a local college/already have a job/don't go to school.

I understand that school will have to come first, I'll have to study and attend class before I jam and all, but has this worked for anyone?
I'm a high school senior myself, planning on doing the same thing in college

Out of curiosity, since we seem to have similar music tastes, where are you going?
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I don't see why it wouldn't as long as you can get your gear and find a practise space.

You just won't be able to rehearse every day.

Yea and that's understandable. I plan on only practicing/rehearsing on the weekends and such.

Quote by silhouettica
Out of curiosity, since we seem to have similar music tastes, where are you going?

University Of Southern Indiana. It boarders Illinois and Kentucky, so I figure finding places to play gigs at won't be too hard.
I'm in college, and my band's first album is coming out in a few weeks, and we're on the radio every day.

So yeah, it can happen.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
In college right now and have a band.

But I also have my own place, which makes practicing a lot easier.
Quote by blake1221
In college right now and have a band.

But I also have my own place, which makes practicing a lot easier.

Same here dude. Having your own place makes it miles easier in getting a band together and whatknot.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
I'm in college and I just started a band. We're still trying to get everything situated because it's tough to find a dedicated spot to jam every week. Hopefully when summer rolls around we'll be good though.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by vmanoman
Same here dude. Having your own place makes it miles easier in getting a band together and whatknot.

'whatknot'?

oh, it's a slipknot reference? you do have mate feed kill repeat in your sig so don't kill me for the assumption
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I am. But The rest of my band mates are unemployed. You'll make time for it, you'll just have to work around a few things
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Go to your arts department or where ever your musical studies are and post flyers or just talk to people in your dorm i found about a 100 people to jam with while in college.

never really got a band going but i learned alot of different styles and shit from all the different people i was able to jam with.