I have a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Special II and I play a bunch of different genras but I mostly play metal,ranging from Metallica to Bring me the Horizon.I just love metal.But i dont think my stock pick ups are THAT good so what should i buy?Perferibly humbucklers.Please help :]
You can't go wrong with Seymour duncan. Just go on their website. I've played guitars that have them in and duncan designed pickups (basically the same but made elsewhere or something like that but they are really nice) Most metal guys say EMG's which I'm not dissing but if you wanna spend a couple hundred bucks on active pickups Its almost not worth it.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/sh13_dimebucker/
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh6_duncan_dist/
My buddy who plays guitar LOVES his Dimarzio's in his Ibenez
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh6_duncan_dist/

Hope this helps you out and if you out and you can check out all the humbuckers on these websites too.
How much you're looking to spend?

Maybe look at toneriders, great reviews on them.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
If you love metal, you'll love SD Blackouts. They'd go great in an LP.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by jumpaside
You can't go wrong with Seymour duncan.

lolwut? you can go wrong with any pickup manufacturer if you pick pickups which don't suit the guitar or the type of music you want to play...

ts, what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was thinking of getting SD Blackouts (Not sure which version, the Metal or the AHB-1/2, little confused on the differences). I'll be putting them in a JS32T Rhoads, assuming they fit correctly. I looked at EMG as well, but shit... every dickhead has EMG cause "it's so metalz!". But seriously, I have heard that EMGs pretty much tend to make any guitar sound the same. Not dissing it or anything, but it's just what I heard. Did some more research and I also see that a lot of people tend to find that the Blackouts bring out the vibes from the wood of the body, as well, giving it a "natural, organic" tone.

EDIT: To assist with anyone giving advice or tips, I play mainly death/thrash/neoclassical. A lot of Scandinavian influenced styles of death metal (i.e. Children of Bodom, Norther, Wintersun, Kalmah, Amon Amarth, Keep of Kalessin etc.), and some modern American death metal like Skeletonwitch. I also love to play classic metal like Ozzy, Pantera, and Slayer, for example. I rarely play hard rock like Guns N' Roses. I enjoy playing blues a lot, too. Usually distorted, though.
Last edited by Norse Thrasher at May 1, 2011,
if you have a cheaper guitar, EMGs making all guitars sound the same can actually be an advantage.

Though I'm not sure if it's true, I haven't tried enough different-spec guitars with EMGs head to head to be sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you have a cheaper guitar, EMGs making all guitars sound the same can actually be an advantage.

Because they'll make it sound just as good as say a high grade guitar, when it's not?
You're better off with a new amp, my man.

your guitar is, honestly, a POS, pickups will slightly shange the tone, not worth the $150 or so for a new set.

What is your amp? I assume it's a spider or a Marshall MG?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
You're better off with a new amp, my man.

your guitar is, honestly, a POS, pickups will slightly shange the tone, not worth the $150 or so for a new set.

What is your amp? I assume it's a spider or a Marshall MG?

The OP or me?
Last edited by Norse Thrasher at May 1, 2011,
On a cheeper guitar like your lp, I'd look at GFS pickups. They have a few that are pretty good. And if you want active look at the Guitarheads web site they have EMG clones that are $80 a set vs $200 in a $150 guitar.
Quote by Norse Thrasher
Because they'll make it sound just as good as say a high grade guitar, when it's not?

well yeah, to a certain extent.

But as I said I have no idea if that criticism of EMGs is true... I only have one guitar with EMGs, so it's not like I can compare, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well yeah, to a certain extent.

But as I said I have no idea if that criticism of EMGs is true... I only have one guitar with EMGs, so it's not like I can compare, lol.

Yeah. I think the body for my Rhoads is basswood, so if it's true about SD Blackouts then I dunno if I wanna hear the basswood as much, lol, heard it's well... bassier ( ) than say alder or maple. If it's true about EMGs (which I'll do more research on it), then I may just go with those.
Quote by Dave_Mc
lolwut? you can go wrong with any pickup manufacturer if you pick pickups which don't suit the guitar or the type of music you want to play...

ts, what's your amp?
This. Posts that say: buy Seymour Duncans/Dimarzios/Bareknuckles/etc. are full of fail.
I'm a big fan on the EMG 81/60 combo, but I messed with a guitar a while back that had the Dave Mustaine Livewires and they were pretty nice.

EDIT: For context on the EMG's making guitars sound the same, I've put both my shecter and my ESP in the same tuning and they for one play different, and they sound similar, but you can tell the difference between the woods used in guitars even those the bridge is identical. My ESP has a much tighter and more defined sound than the Shecter. Overall craftsmanship and tone woods really define the sound just as much as a pickup and an amp does.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Last edited by Arch1119 at May 2, 2011,
Quote by al112987
This. Posts that say: buy Seymour Duncans/Dimarzios/Bareknuckles/etc. are full of fail.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly, emg 81/85s are great, or the 81/60. Otherwise, I would go for sd blackouts.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
wait for the hetfield sig emg's
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.