Page 1 of 2
So my girlfriend and i are into reading a lot. Should i get a kindle? Or am i best just to get an Ipad? I would like an ipad for other applications. I dont understand why the kindle has to be internet based..do you just buy the books online and store them on the kindle? The reason i ask is i have a kindle app on my android phone, and everytime i use it i have to log into amazon.co.uk.
if you like to read then get it.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I think you can even use your android as an E-Reader. Honestly, I prefer my books in print, but from what I know of the two products, if they were put in front of me and I could only choose one I'd take an Ipad. A kindle is a device to download and store e-books and not much else. That was the Ipad's primary function, but you can also search the web, store music, and they have even come up with a comic book app, which the other two e-readers lack. This is all from someone who mostly dislikes apple. But that's my opinion.

I wouldn't get either, but if you're going to get one, go with Ipad.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
My dad has one... I don't see the point, I like reading old fashioned books

well ive spent over 1k on books in the past. I can get all the books i want for next to nothing. It also is better for the environment ( not that i care but my gf is into that a lot).
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
well ive spent over 1k on books in the past. I can get all the books i want for next to nothing. It also is better for the environment ( not that i care but my gf is into that a lot).

if it gets you laid, do it

rule of thumb, applies to everything except rape
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Yes, the Kindle downloads books from online and they are stored on the Kindle. The e-ink screen is pretty interesting, but using it for anything other than reading it pointless. The internet browser on an e-ink screen is just horrifying. You don't need to be connected to the internet to actually read, though.
If you have a laptop already go with the kindle.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
it's the best e-Reader, by loads.

if you already have an android phone, iphone etc you can get the Kindle/book store as an app, pretty neat if you don't have your kindle with you but do have your phone.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I have a kindle and i think it is worth it. If ye are both into reading, the e-ink screen is suppsed to much better for your eyes rather than a backlit L.E.D. The kindle also seems, not sturdier, but at the same time less fragile, which in my eyes is a benefit. On top of that, the battery life is far better, and it is good for reading outside too, which (assuming the ipad and the iphone are similar in this respect), is a big plus against the ipad.
^ well, if the sun is over my shoulder i have to do the hand-cup to see my iPhone's screen properly.

that is one thing that still sucks about big/glossy screens.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I've considered getting one. I'm not sure I like the idea of buying a bunch of digital books though. It's not like I need all of my books with me at all times.

I know there are quite a few free books, and some cheap ones, but it seems like a lot of newer books are around $10, which seems a little absurd. I'm not that interested in paying $10 for a digital copy of a book. In that case I'd much rather spend $10 or so on the actual physical book.
Get one that supports the widest array of file types. I don't know if kindles do. Can't you only get books from amazon for them? I'd rather have the option of shopping for a better deal. Monopolies ftl.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Get one that supports the widest array of file types. I don't know if kindles do. Can't you only get books from amazon for them? I'd rather have the option of shopping for a better deal. Monopolies ftl.

I think you can only buy books for the kindle from Amazon but I think you can read "illegally acquired" ebooks on it.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Kindle supports .azw(the kindle format, iirc) .epub .pdf and .mobi. I think anyway.

For mac, you can download an app called calibre(its free) that essentially acts a ebook manager for your computer and kindle. It converts to and supports something like 16 different file formats too.
What I find funny is that you can buy an ok computer and a used 19" monitor for the price of an I-pod.
I read all the replies to this thread and am going to try a really grounded response-
If you like reading, and spend money on books, buy a Kindle. Really. I know personally just getting 3-4 books at a book store is about 30-50 dollars. But since i got a Kindle, I have *torrent* downloaded as many books as i want for free.
This is something everybody isn't talking about, so either they know it and don't like it or don't know of it.
Basically if I see a book I want at a book store, I write it down. Then go home and go and look up the book. Usually I can find it within a block torrent- that's torrents that are a MASS of books *like 65000 here* and you can just choose which ones you want to download.
So- I write it down, look it up, and download the e-book and put it on my kindle. And if i can't find the e-book I just look for the PDF and for free there's a program that changes it to an E-Book.

Tl;dr- You can download the ebook/pdf for free and then put it on a kindle. I have over $700 worth of books on my kindle.
Free books!

Edit-
I hope you realize that it's not either/or, you can still buy physical books. But I'd much rather carry around 1 small kindle than a big novel.
ALSO- HUGE POINT- you can buy textbooks at a very small percentage of the cost.
Good for students.

UG DOES forgive, then eventually forgets

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Anyone who sucks my dick is special.
Last edited by WonderBagel at May 1, 2011,
Quote by WonderBagel
I read all the replies to this thread and am going to try a really grounded response-
If you like reading, and spend money on books, buy a Kindle. Really. I know personally just getting 3-4 books at a book store is about 30-50 dollars. But since i got a Kindle, I have *torrent* downloaded as many books as i want for free.
This is something everybody isn't talking about, so either they know it and don't like it or don't know of it.
Basically if I see a book I want at a book store, I write it down. Then go home and go and look up the book. Usually I can find it within a block torrent- that's torrents that are a MASS of books *like 65000 here* and you can just choose which ones you want to download.
So- I write it down, look it up, and download the e-book and put it on my kindle. And if i can't find the e-book I just look for the PDF and for free there's a program that changes it to an E-Book.

Tl;dr- You can download the ebook/pdf for free and then put it on a kindle. I have over $700 worth of books on my kindle.
Free books!

I'm a writer and trying to get a book published. Thanks dick. Really, its easy to justify piracy for music because the artist makes their money from touring and the likes, but the author makes their money off selling the book to a publishing house, and a bit off of book sales after that. You're running an industry to the ground that's already headed that way, if you like reading, have the foresight to not pirate your books so there's still an industry for us.
Quote by tayroar
I'm a writer and trying to get a book published. Thanks dick. Really, its easy to justify piracy for music because the artist makes their money from touring and the likes, but the author makes their money off selling the book to a publishing house, and a bit off of book sales after that. You're running an industry to the ground that's already headed that way, if you like reading, have the foresight to not pirate your books so there's still an industry for us.

+1

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I personally prefer to own the actual book, and have a nice big bookshelf to keep them on. Obviously that's not ideal for everyone. If you don't have space to store all your books, it's quite a good idea.
Quote by tayroar

...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by tayroar

If I enjoy a writer I'll just send donations. Would you rather get secondhand money from the publishing industry, or get the full amount for your book?
Also- you don't become a writer to become rich. You write for public enjoyment and if somebody chooses to read your book and enjoys it, you should feel accomplished.
Finally, personally I don't go to book stores much, usually it's a library. I don't pay for your book when I check it out there either, so what's the difference between that and just skipping the library?

I enjoy authors and the books they write, but I am against it turning from being about writing to making money.
*see: Stephanie Meyer"*

Secondedit: The industry is not headed into the ground. You're thinking of published news, reading is never going to "run into the ground", just take different forms.
Also- a question: would you rather a person illegally download your book and enjoy it, or skip over it because he doesn't have the money?

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Last edited by WonderBagel at May 1, 2011,
Yeah right, of course you send money to the authors

EDIT: I'm sure writers would liketheir books to be bought. If their book sells shit, publishers aren't going near them.
Quote by andyscoot
Yeah right, of course you send money to the authors

EDIT: I'm sure writers would liketheir books to be bought. If their book sells shit, publishers aren't going near them.

I never said I did, I'm saying that if they are really saying that they need money to keep writing then I would try, but that hasn't been the case with a lot of authors I know.

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by WonderBagel
I never said I did, I'm saying that if they are really saying that they need money to keep writing then I would try, but that hasn't been the case with a lot of authors I know.

Few people write as a hobby. Most authors don't make huge amounts of money.

And yes, going to a library helps. They have to buy the books and libraries buy more of popular books.

Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at May 1, 2011,
Quote by WonderBagel
If I enjoy a writer I'll just send donations. Would you rather get secondhand money from the publishing industry, or get the full amount for your book?
Also- you don't become a writer to become rich. You write for public enjoyment and if somebody chooses to read your book and enjoys it, you should feel accomplished.
Finally, personally I don't go to book stores much, usually it's a library. I don't pay for your book when I check it out there either, so what's the difference between that and just skipping the library?

I enjoy authors and the books they write, but I am against it turning from being about writing to making money.

Secondedit: The industry is not headed into the ground. You're thinking of published news, reading is never going to "run into the ground", just take different forms.
Also- a question: would you rather a person illegally download your book and enjoy it, or skip over it because he doesn't have the money?

ur so kool 4 hatin' sophie meyer!!1!1!eleven.

...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by WonderBagel

I write for my own enjoyment, but I sell it for money. Don't tell me how I should feel about people ripping me off. You're devaluing my work. What you are doing is essentially the same thing as people couterfeiting money. It devalues the currency it is making. You're not going to send me a donation, don't bullshit me. By making it publicly available for free, you make my work nothing.

Newsflash, people have to eat, and won't do anything for free. You think people will sit around and write when there's not a market or any real benefit for it later on, or atleast go as far as to make it publicly available? Don't criticize me for your theft.
Quote by Meths
Few people write as a hobby. Most authors don't make huge amounts of money.

And yes, going to a library helps. They have to buy the books and libraries buy more of popular books.

They buy those regardless of those in the first place.
Maybe it's not normal, but in my town we only have 1 or two copies of a book and it's uncommon for them to buy more unless the old copy is falling apart.

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Get a refurbished iPad. My brother just got one for a great deal. My other brother has a Nook and it was almost as much as the iPad, and does a fraction of the stuff.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by tayroar
I write for my own enjoyment, but I sell it for money. Don't tell me how I should feel about people ripping me off. You're devaluing my work. What you are doing is essentially the same thing as people couterfeiting money. It devalues the currency it is making. You're not going to send me a donation, don't bullshit me. By making it publicly available for free, you make my work nothing.

Newsflash, people have to eat, and won't do anything for free. You think people will sit around and write when there's not a market or any real benefit for it later on, or atleast go as far as to make it publicly available? Don't criticize me for your theft.

I was neither telling you how to feel, nor criticizing you.
I was simply trying to convince the TS to buy a kindle so he could enjoy more books, and I didn't mean to take this thread off of the topic.

Also- I'm not the one making it publicly free, I only take the chance to read more books and expand my horizons, where I otherwise wouldn't because I just don't have money sitting around.

Hopefully people will try and write regardless of resale. I think that writers who do it as a hobby are often more focused on making their book more enjoyable than those who try and publish publish publish for their next paycheck *I used Stephanie Meyer because she's the first author that came to mind*.

Printed books are never going to stop being made, but E-books are becoming the next form, just like the printing press made books cheaper and more easily made.
I'm sure when the printing press came out those that copied books for a living felt cheated, but in the end it helped spread knowledge and give it to the masses.

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
For reading purposes Kindle beats the iPad. If you have ever seen one the screen is just amazing and much more suitable to changing lighting conditions than the iPad.

But if you are more concerned with apps go with the iPad. It really depends on what is more important to you.
Quote by WonderBagel
I was neither telling you how to feel, nor criticizing you.
I was simply trying to convince the TS to buy a kindle so he could enjoy more books, and I didn't mean to take this thread off of the topic.

Also- I'm not the one making it publicly free, I only take the chance to read more books and expand my horizons, where I otherwise wouldn't because I just don't have money sitting around.

Hopefully people will try and write regardless of resale. I think that writers who do it as a hobby are often more focused on making their book more enjoyable than those who try and publish publish publish for their next paycheck *I used Stephanie Meyer because she's the first author that came to mind*.

Printed books are never going to stop being made, but E-books are becoming the next form, just like the printing press made books cheaper and more easily made.
I'm sure when the printing press came out those that copied books for a living felt cheated, but in the end it helped spread knowledge and give it to the masses.

Stephen King is my favorite author, and he doesn't just publish for the next paycheck, but I can guarantee you he wouldn't just make his books publicly available for free. The vast majority of people who write for hobby, never get published, because you have to jump through hoops to get paid for it. You're rationalizing and it's BS, don't try to justify from the person you're devaluing. I have no problem with E-Books, as they make it easier for people to self publish, but you're not even paying at all. Authors don't make as much money as other mediums of art, and you're contributing to our hurt even more.
Quote by tayroar
Stephen King is my favorite author, and he doesn't just publish for the next paycheck, but I can guarantee you he wouldn't just make his books publicly available for free. The vast majority of people who write for hobby, never get published, because you have to jump through hoops to get paid for it. You're rationalizing and it's BS, don't try to justify from the person you're devaluing. I have no problem with E-Books, as they make it easier for people to self publish, but you're not even paying at all. Authors don't make as much money as other mediums of art, and you're contributing to our hurt even more.

I agree with you that Stephen King is a great author, but I still think he would publish if he didn't get paid, or even just not as much. With Torrents I have discovered authors I wouldn't have otherwise because the majority of their work hasn't gotten to my area. I'm sorry if I offended you, but I still stick to my point that E-books are a valuable way of getting authors recognized so that they can move up in the industry.
I also agree with you that authors should be paid more than other forms of art, I think it takes a lot more structure and time to spin an entire world for a story than simply capture a single frame.

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by WonderBagel
I also agree with you that authors should be paid more than other forms of art, I think it takes a lot more structure and time to spin an entire world for a story than simply capture a single frame.

So why are you taking money out the industry?
Quote by andyscoot
So why are you taking money out the industry?

I'm not. Either I go to the library to get the book for free or I don't see it at all. In rare cases I buy books but I don't usually have the money.

Luigi>Mario

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Page 1 of 2