Poll: What is your opinion on this?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your opinion on this?
I am not tattooed and i think people would regret them
46 19%
I am tattooed and i don't regret it
50 21%
I am not tattooed and i think people wouldn't regret them
143 59%
I am tattooed and i regret it
3 1%
Voters: 242.
Page 1 of 3
I know there's a body-mod thread, but i wanted to make a poll. Most older people who aren't tattooed seem to say that 'You'll regret it when you're older' or something to that effect, but most all tattooed people i know still love their ink and don't regret it at all. So, do you think a tattoo is something you would or wouldn't regret in later life. Also, i know they're sparse but there are older members here ( ); if you have tattoos, do you regret them?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

It really depends on why you get the tattoo done, where, and how much thought is put into it. A cousin of mine waits a year on every tattoo idea he gets, and if he still agrees with it, he'll get it. I think it's a valid way of gauging things.
However, if you get shitfaced one night and get your one night stand's last night tattooed on your dick, of course you'll regret it.
living in the future's benifit has merit to it in a certain degree. for example fear of disease is a good reason, but 'looking bad' is a shit reason. if it's about something stupid like that, live in the present.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Every single person whom I know in real life and has a tattoo regrets it immensely.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Depends. I think today's women may regret it in the future...bunch of 80 year old women with wrinkly tramp stamps.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I knew a guy who got 'love' and hate' tattooed on his knuckles and he says it was the dumbest thing he ever did.

yeah, that's extremely idiotic. what, does he brofist the mates he hates with his right hand and his real bros with his left?
I'd love to have a tattoo, but I don't want to get one unless I really know what I want. It has to be something meaningful.
I think it really depends on what you get. If you get a tattoo that means something to you but isn't too obvious I don't see a reason to regret it. However, my grandad has the name of a girl tattooed across his knuckles, and it isn't my nana's name haha. Needless to say he regrets that.
So just don't get a girl's name tattooed on you. Or a football team or something stupid like that.

Edit:
Quote by RPGoof
A cousin of mine waits a year on every tattoo idea he gets, and if he still agrees with it, he'll get it. I think it's a valid way of gauging things.

This is a good idea.
Last edited by captainsnazz at May 1, 2011,
well, i think it depends if the tat is decorative or supportive. For example, some kind of tribal design is unlikely to be looked at in disgust in the future, but if you have bands tattooed on you now, you may start regretting them if you stop liking the band.

also, im only planning tattoos in places you can't see when im wearing a suit, that way no employer need know.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Man, it always annoys me when people get all up in your ass about getting tattoos.
"You'll regret that, it'll look terrible when you're 80" blah blah blah

When i'm 80 i hope i'll have as good a sense of reality as i do right now and realize how insignificant a tattoo is in relation to everything else we can accomplish in our spec of time here.

So i have permanant ink in my arms, some people don't even have arms so a little doodle here and there means nothing.

Really wish i could have worded that better but i know what i mean and thats cool by me.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
I have a tattoo and I dont anticipate ever regretting it, especially since its somewhere kind of hidden away and is very simple/clean and meaningful

Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Silver-spear94
well, i think it depends if the tat is decorative or supportive. For example, some kind of tribal design is unlikely to be looked at in disgust in the future, but if you have bands tattooed on you now, you may start regretting them if you stop liking the band.

also, im only planning tattoos in places you can't see when im wearing a suit, that way no employer need know.

i don't mind lacking caps, but seriously, use apostrophes

like, look at the difference:

i saw my brothers mate yesterday
i saw my brother's mate yesterday
I'm going to get a couple as soon as I get some more money. I think people regret some.

Like this homo:

Especially when he finishes leviticus and gets to this bit:

Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
really it depends on the individual and what tattoo they have
if its something meaningless and the person got it while they were drunk, they're probably going to regret it, but if its something very meaningful, they probably won't regret it, but it still depends on the situation.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Quote by laid-to-waste
i don't mind lacking caps, but seriously, use apostrophes

like, look at the difference:

i saw my brothers mate yesterday
i saw my brother's mate yesterday

Apologies, normally I would be talking much more sensibly, but I was doing multiple things at once.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Meths
I'm going to get a couple as soon as I get some more money. I think people regret some.

Like this homo:

Especially when he finishes leviticus and gets to this bit:

Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

ahahahaah what a fucking loser

Quote by Silver-spear94
Apologies, normally I would be talking much more sensibly, but I was doing multiple things at once.

no problem, and that's what she said
I think if it's a few nice ones that don't stick out like a sore thumb then people won't regret them, although, I think the people one with two full sleeves, chest tattoos, neck tattoos etc. will look back one day and think "my god, was I retarded?"

@Vintage, i know what that symbol means mathematically, but obviously that's not why it's tattooed on you :P

What does it mean in your context?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

woah, i just accidentally learned how to do that symbol on a mac keyboard

alt + 5

Quote by Silver-spear94
@Vintage, i know what that symbol means mathematically, but obviously that's not why it's tattooed on you :P

What does it mean in your context?

there's a lot and I know I wrote an explanation earlier on this site, so if you don't mind, I'm just going to copy and paste...

Infinity represented a handful of things for me... mainly the sublime. I know I've mentioned it in my writings but I'm absolutely fascinated by unfathomably large/colorful/powerful/(other adjectives) things - mountains, the ocean, volcanoes, sunsets, clouds in the night sky, lots of that haha. I'm fascinated with the fascination itself too - the psychological implications, the cognitive implications, everything related with it. The idea of the limitless really speaks to me, and it works in the other direction as well - things incredibly small as we approach infinity in the reciprocal. It's funny that you can say 'as the limit approaches infinity...' haha what does that even mean? But we use it so frequently in calculus and such.
It also symbolizes time for me, another thing that I'm fascinated with. I'm not sure how many of you have read Heidegger but it's something I'm very much into - conceptualizing time, seeing how it fits in our society and how we represent it. Did you know that when chimps draw a ball, they draw a zigzagged line? And when they draw a broom, they draw a line oscillating with a high frequency back and forth, just like the swooping motion. Elephants, on the other hand, draw still life like humans do. It's crazy how we can label objects and how we represent them based on their being in time - whether we think of it like a chimp, where the object is represented in its movement over a period of time, or we think of it like an elephant, where the object is the visual image within a standstill in time. Books are crazy to me in that they hold all the same amount of information in their existence but the info is unveiled to us over time so that the book, with all the same words, serves as a temporal experience. It's just so cool haha I also really really like Hawking's Brief History and umm... yeh I'm sure I could blabber on about how it relates but I'll just end it here. Infinity symbolizes faith and God for me as well (I am an atheist but the idea of faith is something I cannot help but be enthralled by as far as curiosity goes) and so, yes, that is why I got infinity, a big culmination of these things.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by laid-to-waste
woah, i just accidentally learned how to do that symbol on a mac keyboard

alt + 5

:0 That's awesome.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

I think tattoos have gone from something that really marked a person as somewhat of an 'outsider' to just a permanent form of jewlery. Everyone and their mother has tattoos now, and its really not the badge of coolness that it used to be.

Quote by vintage x metal
like a chimp, where the object is represented in its movement over a period of time

You're saying chimpanzees can see in 4D?
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at May 1, 2011,
I think it's OK if the tattoo represents some important part of you and is tasteful. For example, your military unit will be a part of you for the rest of your life, so military tattoos don't bother me. But I think "cuz it looks kewl" is an incredibly stupid reason to permanently scar your body.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I love my tattoo, and the only thing holding me back from more is money.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Tattoos mark a point in your life, so they'll never truly be meaningless. I really don't see mine being regretted- the Coheed & Cambria keywork, as the band changed the way I look at music, plus it looks pretty cool, and the other is a mashup of a treble clef and a bass clef- self explanatory really.
Quote by vintage x metal
there's a lot and I know I wrote an explanation earlier on this site, so if you don't mind, I'm just going to copy and paste...

Infinity represented a handful of things for me... mainly the sublime. I know I've mentioned it in my writings but I'm absolutely fascinated by unfathomably large/colorful/powerful/(other adjectives) things - mountains, the ocean, volcanoes, sunsets, clouds in the night sky, lots of that haha. I'm fascinated with the fascination itself too - the psychological implications, the cognitive implications, everything related with it. The idea of the limitless really speaks to me, and it works in the other direction as well - things incredibly small as we approach infinity in the reciprocal. It's funny that you can say 'as the limit approaches infinity...' haha what does that even mean? But we use it so frequently in calculus and such.
It also symbolizes time for me, another thing that I'm fascinated with. I'm not sure how many of you have read Heidegger but it's something I'm very much into - conceptualizing time, seeing how it fits in our society and how we represent it. Did you know that when chimps draw a ball, they draw a zigzagged line? And when they draw a broom, they draw a line oscillating with a high frequency back and forth, just like the swooping motion. Elephants, on the other hand, draw still life like humans do. It's crazy how we can label objects and how we represent them based on their being in time - whether we think of it like a chimp, where the object is represented in its movement over a period of time, or we think of it like an elephant, where the object is the visual image within a standstill in time. Books are crazy to me in that they hold all the same amount of information in their existence but the info is unveiled to us over time so that the book, with all the same words, serves as a temporal experience. It's just so cool haha I also really really like Hawking's Brief History and umm... yeh I'm sure I could blabber on about how it relates but I'll just end it here. Infinity symbolizes faith and God for me as well (I am an atheist but the idea of faith is something I cannot help but be enthralled by as far as curiosity goes) and so, yes, that is why I got infinity, a big culmination of these things.

That's pretty cool. I have to agree with that also.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

I had 5 tattoos, and I plan to have 30 or so when Im done, and I dont regret any I already have, or any I will get. I wont get something tattooed on me unless it has a deep meaning behind it
PRS Standard 22, Trans Blue
PRS Custom 24, Eriza Verde Green
Martin DC16 GTE Acoustic/Electric
Segovia Acoustic/Electric
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb
Fender Princeton Chorus 212
I'm gonna get a tattoo signifying my love for music and I doubt that I'm gonna regret it. It's simple, looks cool and I'm taking it in a place Which is not normally visible. Getting a tattoo while drunk is like one of the the stupidest thing you can do IMO. That shit is permanent. One of my mates got a rainbow on his ass once after some drinks. He will never hear the end of it
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I love my tattoo, and the only thing holding me back from more is money.

pics?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
What's the meaning behind it?

she C&P'd it at the top of this page :P

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Hm... my grand dad has some that he says he wish he never got, but it's of one of his girlfriends. My step dad has a few, but never says anything about regretting them.

Personally, I only want to get something that means something to me so I don't change my mind about what looks cool a few years later.
Quote by wiliscool
You're saying chimpanzees can see in 4D?

well, they apply 4-D concepts in a 2-D fashion
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Deliriumbassist
the Coheed & Cambria keywork

I know a guy who has this pretty much in the same place as you as far as I recall.
I'd be bummed. It does make a cool tattoo though.

I like the Idea of tattoos, but as they're supposed to be a personal expression of individuality or something to that effect, I'd really have to think about it and make sure I'm getting something that means something, and that is entirely Unique to me.
That's a pretty tough order though so I'm not holding my breath.

I know far too many people with Nautical stars and treble Clefs. I also know a guy who's a walking billboard for Killswitch Engage.

also,
Last edited by shmeegle at May 1, 2011,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Tattoos mark a point in your life, so they'll never truly be meaningless. I really don't see mine being regretted- the Coheed & Cambria keywork, as the band changed the way I look at music, plus it looks pretty cool, and the other is a mashup of a treble clef and a bass clef- self explanatory really.

Pics of the treble-clef pleeeeaaaase?
I'm actually gonna get one like that too, just not sure where and what exact shape of it I'm going for yet.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
I have 2 of them, and both have deep personal meaning to me. I'm about to extend on the first.
Quote by RPGoof
A cousin of mine waits a year on every tattoo idea he gets, and if he still agrees with it, he'll get it.

I do something similar. I always say take a picture of whatever you want to get and put it somewhere where you'll have to look at it every day. If you still want it after six months, do it.

I did that with my Reel Big Fish tat. I've had it for almost a year and I still love it.
Page 1 of 3