I've read several threads here about the 18v mod nuking the preamp circuitry etc. and I think this just happened to me.

I followed the diagram here:

Everything seemed fine before I plugged in and I even tested the voltage with a meter before attaching it to my guitar. It was reading a little over (about 18.5-19v) but I figured that would be ok since the pickups are supposedly rated at 27v.

As soon as I plugged it in, I got horrible feedback...unplugged the guitar right away, and went to disconnect the batteries...one was extremely hot.

The only reason for this must be that the circuit is drawing to much current from the 18v setup to make the one battery that hot. It didn't cool down for a good 10 minutes.

Needless to say, my pickups are fried. How could this have happened? I TESTED the voltage before attaching to the guitar so this WOULDN'T happen.

Ugh those pickups are so expensive, is there anyway to fix them after this has happened? I really don't want to have to replace both $100+ pickups...

EDIT: I did not use a soldering iron when I tested this. I wanted to see how it sounded on my pickups first and if it was even worth modifying the guitar in a more permanent fashion. I just used a connector bus (I don't know what they call them). It has two rows of screws that you tighten onto the wire and this is exactly how I had it wired (I would take a pic of the actual wiring but I just tried to change it back and disconnected it all)

Crappy MS paint diagram of what I did:

The connector thing looked like this except smaller:
Last edited by jef3189 at May 1, 2011,
You can get the dragonfire actives for $80 a set. They sound just like the emg's. They also sell the battery leads specifically for the 18v mod so there is no reason for it to hurt them. I did the mod to mine and have had no trouble.
Where would the short have occurred? I tested the voltage on the 18v harness before hooking it up to the guitar...
Last edited by jef3189 at May 1, 2011,