ok so i got a few quuestions about prs guitars, mainly the custom 24.

if i wanted to buy one, could i go to a local prs dealer and order one in? like lets say the standard 2011 custom 24 with the evergreen finish and natural finish back? or is the natural finish back only on the 10-top?

and is the 10-top option worth the 400$ more?
how much is the gold hardware upgrade too?

and what differences do the rosewood neck options provide?

also, last question, how long would it take to get one if i ordered it in new from prs?
Yes you can order what ever you want, but it may take a while to recive it. Every thing is an upcharge, Birds,10 top artist package. not shure what the golid hard ware runs proly add another $250+. The rosewood option is for the fret board not the entire neck that is mahogany, it will afect the tone slightly, I realy can't tell the diff.from the ebony.
You'll belooking at proly a 2-4 month wait and if you order custom it will probably run you a good $4000 having it made for you. just go try some out and choose wich you like best . I bought mine from off the shelf and couldn't be happier.
im pretty sure as of now on the 2011 models, there is an upgrade for a rosewood neck, and a rosewood fingerboard is standard currently. and theres the 10-top package, but what does that entail? is it just a nice maple cap?

cuz right now looking through, id want the evergreen finish, nartural finish back, 5 way
blade switch, gold hardware and the 10-top package (depending on what it comes with)

i really doubt that i will be able to find that in a store, and if im paying over 2k for it, i kinda expect to get it exactly to my spec :S

also one more quick question, how do the 59/09 pickups handle higher gains? because my band which used to be more thrash metal is now heading in a more progressive route, and id like this to be my main guitar if i got one and i wouldnt want to have tochange the pickups on it
you'll have to go into the shop and see what they can special order for you and what it'll cost. the reality is that you are essentially going a semi-custom route if you have a very specific set of demands (sure, they may have by chance made one), so it may cost you. however, PRS is usually pretty accommodating.

the pickup set can handle higher gains, but you'll certainly have to be careful. they are really good pickups in a good guitar, so unless you're hoping for super-heavy gain (in which case, you ought to look elsewhere), you ought to be just fine
Do yourself a favor and buy a Gibson Les Paul or SG
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Quote by Picksqueal72

A Les Paul/SG is really quite different from a Custom 24.

TS, rosewood necks feel amazing and over a mahogany neck, they will give you a thicker, stronger midrange.
The 10 top is just an aesthetic upgrade, it means the figuring of the maple is of a higher grade, so for a flame top, the figuring would be straight and even across the whole top.
I've seen plenty of good looking non-10 tops, and IMO it isn't really worth it unless you want an amazing top.
( i really doubt that i will be able to find that in a store, and if im paying over 2k for it, i kinda expect to get it exactly to my spec :S )

If you want it to your specs you´ll be paying well over 2 ks, but you can also find what you are looking for in just about every custom 24 except for the color and the 10 top.
Quote by Picksqueal72

Care to explain to him (and everyone else) why?
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Quote by zYx Monster xYz
Care to explain to him (and everyone else) why?

Most notable is the neck profile. A 25 inch scale as opposed to 24 3/4.

Then you have 24 frets rather than 22 on the LP

Telling someone to get a Gibson Les Paul instead of a PRS Custom 24 is about equal to telling someone who's looking a Ibanez RG 1570 to get an American Standard Fender Strat.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
wellthe heaviest my band goes is like the ocassional trivium cover, but eve then were using way less gain than the record. and how much does the custom 24 cost with the rosewood neck and not 10-top package?

because from just looking around, the standard for the custom 24 is around 2600$
10top package makes it go up to 3000$ and the rosewood neck on top of that makes it go up to 3500$.

and ya, the normal going to a store to play a bunch wont really work out till i drive somewhere that stocks alot of custom 24s which is quite far from here, the nearest prs dealer to me pretty much only sells 513s and SE models.
You can always try to find one used to try out.

The Custom 24 is a nice guitar.

Guitar center is a major dealer so they usually have all of the options available online. Check out the platinum room.

The 10 top is really just cosmetic.

The rosewood neck may or may not have a tonal difference. The standard necks are pretty good already though.

used 24s can be had for under 2k most of the time though. So unless you really want a specific color, finish style, top look around a bit.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Picksqueal72

I believe he wants a quality instrument.
Quote by Seanthesheep
wellthe heaviest my band goes is like the ocassional trivium cover, but eve then were using way less gain than the record. and how much does the custom 24 cost with the rosewood neck and not 10-top package?

because from just looking around, the standard for the custom 24 is around 2600$
10top package makes it go up to 3000$ and the rosewood neck on top of that makes it go up to 3500$.

and ya, the normal going to a store to play a bunch wont really work out till i drive somewhere that stocks alot of custom 24s which is quite far from here, the nearest prs dealer to me pretty much only sells 513s and SE models.

if you're going to spend that kind of money, a couple hours driving is probably a good investment (I've driven 700 miles to grab a specific bass before). don't spend that kind of money without knowing exactly what you want. if you haven't played one, do not drop that kind of cash. that would be stupid
This one is close to what you are looking for: http://www.willcuttguitars.com/paul-reed-smith/custom-24/prs-custom-24-evergreen-10-top-916

Over $3000!

Ever more with a Rosewood neck: http://www.willcuttguitars.com/paul-reed-smith/custom-24/prs-custom-24-evergreen-10-top-1

Retail Prices for Upgrades to a CU24:
10 top flame or quilt - $747
East Indian rosewood neck - $770
Gold hardware - $506

Street pricing will be less of course.
Last edited by thehikingdude at May 2, 2011,
well if its that much then i probably wont go for that.

pretty much im going to have 1500$ from my parents at then end of the year for a new guitar for my grad/18th birthday, so anything extra id have to put in myself. so i have pretty much all year to save up as much as i can for this guitar.

and i dont live in the US so theres no GC here, our next best thing is the place that only stocks 513s so im planning on later in the year, when im ready, to travel to either buffalo or manhatten to get the guitar because the selection is so much better for PRS guitars per store.

but also, about the trem on that, hows the tuning stability? i wouldnt be doing divebombs on it, but how does the tuning hold up generally?
what country are you in?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Seanthesheep
well if its that much then i probably wont go for that.

pretty much im going to have 1500$ from my parents at then end of the year for a new guitar for my grad/18th birthday, so anything extra id have to put in myself. so i have pretty much all year to save up as much as i can for this guitar.

and i dont live in the US so theres no GC here, our next best thing is the place that only stocks 513s so im planning on later in the year, when im ready, to travel to either buffalo or manhatten to get the guitar because the selection is so much better for PRS guitars per store.

but also, about the trem on that, hows the tuning stability? i wouldnt be doing divebombs on it, but how does the tuning hold up generally?

The trem stays in tune very well. now you cant go dive bomb crazy, but for not having a "locking nut" I'd say it's one of the best designed bridges.
with you budget your best bet is used, but you can get some awesome deals on a PRS that way.
ok so first off im in canada, ok selection, not the greates though.

and i also have this thing against buying used guitar unless its a deal of a lifetime kind of thing, and my budget isnt 1500, i could probably save up another 1500 by the time im ready to buy it which puts me around the 3000$ mark, CAD which is in the right range for a new custom 24
Quote by Seanthesheep
ok so first off im in canada, ok selection, not the greates though.

and i also have this thing against buying used guitar unless its a deal of a lifetime kind of thing, and my budget isnt 1500, i could probably save up another 1500 by the time im ready to buy it which puts me around the 3000$ mark, CAD which is in the right range for a new custom 24

used is not a badthing just to put it in perspective my buddy got his CU22 for $1900 used and it has all the bells and wistles. I bought a NEW PRS CE22 for $1525 out the door new and I got them down $450 in price. Basicly no one cares if your PRS is "NEW" all they see is a guitar that they wish they could afford to play
ya, and i get that, im ok with buying any other gear used, but with guitars they have to be new, not because of the actual being new, but because of the fact that no one else has owned it before me. i know its wierd but thats just the way it is for me
Check out: http://www.theguitarshop.ca/features.php?category=1

That is a PRS dealer in Canada. One of the best shops, if not the best, outside the US. I bought a used PRS from them without being able to see it in person: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318540. There are dealers out there, this one included, that get trade-in's with PRS guitars that in some cases have never been played or at the most for just a few hours. In essence these guitars are just AS NEW, if not newer, than any guitar hanging on the wall at a Guitar Center. You can easily save $500-$1000 by going this route, and in the end the guitar you buy is still new to you.

I have 5 PRS guitars, and the interesting thing is that my favorite ones were the ones that I bought used. I was the same way as you at one point, only allowing myself to get new guitars. But with PRS it's different, since they all start out with a level of quality that most manufacturers can't even come close to.
That is a PRS dealer in Canada. One of the best shops, if not the best, outside the US. I bought a used PRS from them without being able to see it in person: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318540. There are dealers out there, this one included, that get trade-in's with PRS guitars that in some cases have never been played or at the most for just a few hours. In essence these guitars are just AS NEW, if not newer, than any guitar hanging on the wall at a Guitar Center. You can easily save $500-$1000 by going this route, and in the end the guitar you buy is still new to you.

I have 5 PRS guitars, and the interesting thing is that my favorite ones were the ones that I bought used. I was the same way as you at one point, only allowing myself to get new guitars. But with PRS it's different, since they all start out with a level of quality that most manufacturers can't even come close to.

haha funny because that place is about a 30mins drive from my house
but thanks for reminding me about them, ive only really been there once but thanks for reminding me, im deffinitly going to go back and check before i buy one.
Quote by Seanthesheep
ya, and i get that, im ok with buying any other gear used, but with guitars they have to be new, not because of the actual being new, but because of the fact that no one else has owned it before me. i know its wierd but thats just the way it is for me

Obviously you want a new PRS for the wow factor, not for the fact it is a great playing/sounding guitar so I cannot help you.
even if it wasnt a prs, any guitar in that price range, or pretty much anything above 1000$

call me picky sure, but thats just the way i am
actually i got my prs new.

bought one other guitar new as well. so you should do what's best for you.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Have you thought about Carvin? It's not a PRS, but similar in design and less expensive, but everything I've heard about them has been fantastic. I'd suggest at least giving it a look see.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=ct624
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different