Hauskaa Vappua kaikille! // Happy Mayday everyone!

What did you do to celebrate? I went for a few drinks last night, but I was still quite hungover from the night before (royal wedding street party, don't hate, I'm a republican but I'll sacrifice my values for free cake and cheap wine) so I just had a relatively quiet one, as Mayday goes.

What are the Mayday traditions in your country, and did you celebrate it this year?

EDIT: I'll post mine for both my national identities. In Finland, it's getting very drunk, and students wear these funny hats...

In the UK, it's

and

Fun.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at May 1, 2011,
I celebrated it at home

alone

WATCHING HOCKEY! We totally got the Danes. Sweet, sweet revenge!
Last edited by BlacksailsTippa at May 1, 2011,
i never celebrate mayday ):

i'm not really the morris dancing type of guy, which is all they seem to do in england.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I'll never drink again.

PS. I'm a Finn.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
I'll never drink again.

PS. I'm a Finn.

How did you celebrate? I'm not in Finland at the moment but I went to a local pub with some other Finns in my city for some beers.
Didn't do much, went to town for a while, then came back. I'm a busy man, too busy to partake in these may shenanigans.

Quote by Flibo
I'll never drink again.

PS. I'm a Finn.

A finn never drinking again?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I celebrated it by telling one of my closest friends exactly how much she means to me, and this time not in a drunken stupor. Which may have struck a bad chord with her. So lots of fun for me. As well as the f*cking Morris dancers making a racket outside.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

How did you celebrate? I'm not in Finland at the moment but I went to a local pub with some other Finns in my city for some beers.

I was hanging out in Kaivopuisto, Helsinki. It was pretty nice.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
I was hanging out in Kaivopuisto, Helsinki. It was pretty nice.

Yeah that sounds awesome. I'm so jealous of Helsinki people, when I'm in Finland I live in some little village in Elimäki, I have no chance of hanging out with more than like 10 people in the entire village
Wtf is mayday?

Sounds cool.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Fun fun fun. Alcohol, chicks, shitty weather and fights(with friendly talks afterwards)
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
People celebrate Mayday?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

We call it "Working class day".

Much more sophisticated.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Here in Finland it's an excuse for getting drunk, so yes.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
I wrote an essay on the change in the relationship between crown and parliament in the 17th century, then sat in the dark playing videogames

Yeah, yeah... I know, I like to party hard
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
I wrote an essay on the change in the relationship between crown and parliament in the 17th century, then sat in the dark playing videogames

Yeah, yeah... I know, I like to party hard

Sounds like a riot
I miss Vappu

Although I did honour its tradition by getting smashed the night before

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
I slept until like 7:00 PM and totally forgot. My sleep schedule's fucked, although in the US, we don't really celebrate May Day; we have Labor Day in August instead. There were supposed to be some protests somewhere, though, I think possibly DC?
Quote by solo_freak
I miss Vappu

Although I did honour its tradition by getting smashed the night before

Did you spend time living in Finland?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Did you spend time living in Finland?

4 years, learned absolutely NO Finnish whatsoever except for your usual Vappu, perkele, paskaa, vittu, etc etc. Moved away two years ago.

I loved that place, although I could never see myself living there again.

Forza Juve

Quote by solo_freak
4 years, learned absolutely NO Finnish whatsoever except for your usual Vappu, perkele, paskaa, vittu, etc etc. Moved away two years ago.

I loved that place, although I could never see myself living there again.

Awesome, what part did you live in? I spent a lot of my childhood growing up in Kouvola, kind of near the Russian border. I was ok at Finnish but those noun endings do my head in
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Awesome, what part did you live in? I spent a lot of my childhood growing up in Kouvola, kind of near the Russian border. I was ok at Finnish but those noun endings do my head in

Helsinki. I don't think I could have lived anywhere else I'm too used to living in cities, and since the Finns are so closed it would have been hell.

I learned Finnish for all the 4 years, but those endings were hell. As soon as I left I completely forgot all of them, and even during my stay I couldn't hold a decent conversation (doesn't help that whenever I tried to speak Finnish the Finns responded in English).

Recently I tried to write some sentences, here is my best attempt:

Minä olen Italialainen. Minun niimi on Alessandro ja minä juon paljion olutta.

If that even makes any sense

Forza Juve

Quote by solo_freak
Helsinki. I don't think I could have lived anywhere else I'm too used to living in cities, and since the Finns are so closed it would have been hell.

I learned Finnish for all the 4 years, but those endings were hell. As soon as I left I completely forgot all of them, and even during my stay I couldn't hold a decent conversation (doesn't help that whenever I tried to speak Finnish the Finns responded in English).

Recently I tried to write some sentences, here is my best attempt:

Minä olen Italialainen. Minun niimi on Alessandro ja minä juon paljion olutta.

If that even makes any sense

Yeah

I would always ditch the 'me' and just say 'olen Englantilainen' or 'niemi on Suzie' or whatever, but I don't know if that's a regional dialect thing or just plain wrong...
My younger brother's confirmation. I was out partying april 30 though.

As I'm a upper secondary graduate this year, I'm taking part in the "russ celebration". In short, we're supposed to drink ourself into oblivion and fail bigtime on the major tests and stuff.
The celebration last from the 1st until the 17th.

May 1st is kind of like a holiday here, because of the workers' unions and stuff.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at May 2, 2011,
I didn't intake alcohol this Vappu, but that's only because I was already terribly exhausted from a 3 day drinking streak
Quote by Flibo
I'll never drink again.

PS. I'm a Finn.

Huhhuh. Ens viikonloppuna Helsinki City Run niin se viikonloppu jää dokaamisen osalta väliin...

Ja sori kun en löytäny tätä threadiä eilen.

Happy 2.5!
I picked up Ringworm in my foot, which meant an awesome may day trying not to scratch and avoiding other people as I'm now highly contagious.
Up The Boro!
Quote by Jyrgen
I didn't intake alcohol this Vappu, but that's only because I was already terribly exhausted from a 3 day drinking streak

That kind of counts

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY!

amidoinitrite?
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Last edited by Gammas1 at May 2, 2011,
Quote by Gammas1

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY!

amidoinitrite?

No.

Did you know that's from the French for 'help' - 'm'aidez'?