I finally have enough money to start to blow it and i was wondering if i should go out and get a vox ac30 or a new guitar from $700-$2000 my current amp is a 100 buck fender mustang one thats ok and my current guitar is an epiphone sheraton 2 that i love i just dont know what to spend the money on
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
I'd say go for the amp, it will increase your sound alot more than if you would get a new guitar
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
i would say both. $2000 split in two (or even a 60:40 split) would buy you a very good guitar and amp. Might make more sense than having a kickass amp coupled with a decent guitar, or a kickass guitar coupled with a beginner (albeit good beginner) amp.

if you really like your current guitar, though, you could also consider blowing it all on the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is GG&A. Every other sentence is "definitely new amp".
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I'm going to have to agree with Dave and say that they're both important.

A good amp will allow you to have a better overall tone, but playing a shitty guitar sucks.

The key is to find a balance between what sounds good on the amp side and what feels great (and makes you want to pick it up all the time) on the guitar side.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

A good amp will allow you to have a better overall tone, but playing a shitty guitar sucks.

The key is to find a balance between what sounds good on the amp side and what feels great (and makes you want to pick it up all the time) on the guitar side.

i do love my guitar to death but its weird i always want a new one and different ones its an addiction
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

Quote by fmonzo27
i do love my guitar to death but its weird i always want a new one and different ones its an addiction

I know how you feel! You can buy the guitar of your dreams, you will want another one again!

What I do is when I have the "guitar aquisition syndrome" I buy pedals and accessories instead. It's more affordable.
Amp. If your budget is $2000 though you could get an amp and guitar. double the happiness!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by bubb_tubbs

yeah

plus the guitar affects the tone a great deal too- especially if you have a good amp.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
everyone seems to think that the guitar doesnt matter and that its all the amp...at least thats the reand around here

both need to be good
Quote by Gundamnitpete
This is GG&A. Every other sentence is "definitely new amp".

news flash: not just in GG&A. every single thread on UG contains at least one; what you really need is a new amp.

people asking what weather it is at your place, mwuah you need a new amp bro.

should i take an ESP Ltd ec1000 or a gibson les paul BFG, naah you need a new amp.
even if they have a more than decent amp.

just split it half half or 60:40. i'd go for half half and get me the vox ac30 and a new guitar. and AC30 will be like 700 euros i think. so you'll have even more for the guitar.

EDIT:
everyone seems to think that the guitar doesnt matter and that its all the amp...at least thats the reand around here

both need to be good

yea UG in general is full of Shiat. suggestions are most of the time really one side. blackstar seems to be popular now.
Last edited by wolvenrick at May 2, 2011,
Yeah i hear blackstar is REALLY popular around these parts wolvenrick..

And usually yes its true...

If i see someone playing a pacifica or any other decent starter guitar and they're looking to upgrade to a ltd ec1000 when they're playing through a spider iv they really do need a new amp first...

Also the people that say guitars dont matter are pretty silly too...
Quote by Dave_Mc
i would say both. $2000 split in two (or even a 60:40 split) would buy you a very good guitar and amp. Might make more sense than having a kickass amp coupled with a decent guitar, or a kickass guitar coupled with a beginner (albeit good beginner) amp.

if you really like your current guitar, though, you could also consider blowing it all on the amp.

this man knows what he is talking about.

in all honesty though i found that once i had a really brilliant guitar it made me want to play guitar more then having a decent guitar through a nice amp would have. this helped me get better at guitar alot faster.

that being said if you really think your guitar is that great then i would just buy a great amp. also maybe look into a set of nice pickups for your guitar because in my experience i have never played an epiphone which sounded even remotely good.
Last edited by joe_k at May 2, 2011,
^I agree.

Epiphones are great guitars but you will need to change de pickups.

I upgraded my stock pups on my Les Paul Custom to Gibson 57 classics, and boy was there a difference...!
Quote by alans056
^I agree.

Epiphones are great guitars but you will need to change de pickups.

I upgraded my stock pups on my Les Paul Custom to Gibson 57 classics, and boy was there a difference...!

i would upgrade the pups but im worried that i will lose my ability to get perfect early kings of leon tones and silversun pickuptones and mabey lose some of the black keys tones but my tone will be better for everything else
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

I vote for splitting it. You'll love having a new amp, but soon you'll be wanting a new guitar too. You can get a really nice guitar for the remainder of the $2000 if you want to get an AC30. Maybe you aren't at this point yet, but for example I've been getting back into playing classical guitar and the $80 one I have isn't cutting it for what I can play now... Just have to convince myself to spend a grand on one of the ones I like.
Quote by fmonzo27
i would upgrade the pups but im worried that i will lose my ability to get perfect early kings of leon tones and silversun pickuptones and mabey lose some of the black keys tones but my tone will be better for everything else

There are tons of differnt pickups. you can get the ones of your favorite bands! That's what I did.
Quote by alans056
There are tons of differnt pickups. you can get the ones of your favorite bands! That's what I did.

i do an they are the stock ones haha but i like just as many with better pickups and a thicker sound
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

If you love your guitar then get a new amp. But I wouldn't spend all that money. The fact that you aren't sure what to get tells me that you should put your money in the bank until you know.
Quote by fmonzo27

Changing your amp will do the same thing. You won't be able to get those tones anyway. How do you get perfect kings of leon tone with a fender mustang amp in the first place?

Also if you are buying an ac30 because it sounds great on all your records you will be sadly dissqppointed with the new production ac30s. Alot of people on here like them but they just arent ballsy enough to me.

I personally thought the laney vc30 was nicer and alot cheaper.