I love the tone I get from my 3 channel triple but

1) it's got too much power for me, even though I'm playing shows all the time and touring, it rarely goes past 9:00 and I feel like I'm not getting the best tone I can get out of it

2) I never use the third channel. I also hate the 5 button footswitch (never use the FX button or CH3 button) and want the smaller one.

My question before I go and test this amp out is, can I get the same good cleans and modern distortion out of the single? I do need it to get fairly heavy (not death metal, just hardcore)

I'm thinking about trading it for a Series II Single and some cash.
Last edited by drewfromutah at May 1, 2011,
If you like it's tone on clean all you need is a good distortion pedal.. that you could get with the leftover cash I suppose. I also think that 3 channels is like useless. I would never need that many.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Why not the 2 channel? Sounds better than the single imo.

*edit*

I mean dual recto...single recto does have 2 channels
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at May 1, 2011,
Quote by Mark G
Why not the 2 channel? Sounds better than the single imo.

The Single Rectifier has two channels. It's just called "Single Rectifier" due to the fact that it only uses one Rectification Tube.

You can indeed get good cleans and modern distortion out of the Single. It's going to be a little different tone wise due to the reduced wattage. Also, since the wattage is lower it won't have as much clean headroom as a 150 Watt.

That being said, you should be able to get similar tones to what you are now getting at a lower volume. 50 Watts, however, is still pretty loud, so volume shouldn't be an issue.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Xeron Brigs
The Single Rectifier has two channels. It's just called "Single Rectifier" due to the fact that it only uses one Rectification Tube.

You can indeed get good cleans and modern distortion out of the Single. It's going to be a little different tone wise due to the reduced wattage. Also, since the wattage is lower it won't have as much clean headroom as a 150 Watt.

That being said, you should be able to get similar tones to what you are now getting at a lower volume. 50 Watts, however, is still pretty loud, so volume shouldn't be an issue.

My bad, I should have said dual rectifier
WTLTL 2011
from what I've heard the single recto has 0 rectifier tubes, it only has the silicone diode ones. Yes every one says the 2 ch duals are the "ones". My budy has the single recto series 1 and I think it sounds great , his other guitarist has one of the 2 ch duals also. The only real diffrence I can tell is the Single recto seems a little tighter than the dual recto.
I guess the main question is "Will you miss the Gain - That Much?"

If not, I'd say go for it, cant hurt to downsize. Shoot, what with micro amp tech taking over and all that...I didnt even think you could gig with less than 50W, and man was I wrong. I think you'll like the tone of an overdriving lower wattage more than the headroom on the Triple.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Robbgnarly
from what I've heard the single recto has 0 rectifier tubes, it only has the silicone diode ones. Yes every one says the 2 ch duals are the "ones". My budy has the single recto series 1 and I think it sounds great , his other guitarist has one of the 2 ch duals also. The only real diffrence I can tell is the Single recto seems a little tighter than the dual recto.
This is what I found as well between my Single Rec and a friend's Dual Rec. They were both played through the same three cabs (A Soldano, a Mesa Rec cab and a Vader) and the Single was always tighter. I like the simplicity of the two channel, the tightness of the distortion and got it used for $900, so it was the Rec for me I think. The cleans sound pretty decent too, cut through the mix much better than the Dual's did. So if you're into tightness and what have you, then the Single Rec is a really good choice.