Hi All,

Sean Siegfried - "Ashill"

Here's another piece I recently put up on Youtube. It's in DADEBE, a great tuning I think for songwriting. It's very close to the tuning Nick Drake used on a few of his songs which is EADEBE (eg "Road"). The style is very much influenced by a player called Dave Evans, who is worth checking out if you're into acoustic instrumentals.

Would really love some feedback here or on Youtube, as I'm always trying to improve on writing!

Sean
I really enjoyed it, your rhythm and timing are incredible, as is the tone of your guitar...how do you get it sounding so crisp and clear?

The composition sounds really quite Spanish in parts, but then leans towards more English folk style, like Bert Jansch's Smokey River.

Beautifully written and recorded, well done mate.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
I really enjoyed it, your rhythm and timing are incredible, as is the tone of your guitar...how do you get it sounding so crisp and clear?

The composition sounds really quite Spanish in parts, but then leans towards more English folk style, like Bert Jansch's Smokey River.

Beautifully written and recorded, well done mate.

Thanks a lot for the kind words man. A big part of the tone is medium gauge strings and tough nails, another thing I learnt from listening to one of me favorites, Dave Evans. Nice to see your a fan of Bert too! The king of acoustic guitar!
I use mediums on my guitar too, and before last week, my nails were getting pretty decent, but I had to cut them off for a karate tournament, so I'm using a pick umtil I can get my nails back to their proper length.

Might just be the cedar top of my guitar, that makes it sound woolier, and warmer, rather than the sharp, crispness of spruce, which I take it your guitar has.
Really good, I loved the tone you got. Great writing man. One thing I would add: Drums. That's it.

Great stuff. Id like to hear more
Very awesome! I enjoyed it a lot. There's something about acoustic songs sometimes, it just makes me wonder how anyone could prefer only electric. They are both so amazing instruments and slightly different.
EDIT: And 3:18 is my very favorite part!
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Quote by Stud_Muffin
I use mediums on my guitar too, and before last week, my nails were getting pretty decent, but I had to cut them off for a karate tournament, so I'm using a pick umtil I can get my nails back to their proper length.

Might just be the cedar top of my guitar, that makes it sound woolier, and warmer, rather than the sharp, crispness of spruce, which I take it your guitar has.

You're right, it is a spruce top. But I almost prefer the sound of cedar tops to be honest. Have you got any samples of the guitar anywhere? There are a few ways to make sure your nails never break, although you probably already know about them. I put an acrylic layer on each nail on the right hand and it keeps them the right shape for a few weeks at a time. I used to use the John Renbourn method (I think Michael Hedges used to do it to) where you cut off pieces of ping pong balls and glue them underneath, but it was a lot of hassle..