Page 1 of 2
I'm really sorry to be off topic and all, but guys, come on!! Are you all metal heads around here ??

It drives my nuts, every singe poster I saw until know was "whats the best metal amp ?" "I need metal gear/whatnot" "I play metal such as..." "Mesa boogie" ...

Hello ?? The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand ? Bloc Party ? Arctic Monkeys ? etc ? Anyone ?

I feel so lonely on these boards!!!
Just so you know, Mesas aren't only metal amps.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Used to be pure metalhead, no digging my teeth into blues and rock. Also 80s metal, which isn't really metal by modern definitions
WTLTL 2011
Quote by white_ibanez10
wrong forum

*reported*

It's not the wrong forum because I am speaking about this forum especially.

And for the "reported"... COME ON
Yes, there are tons of metal heads here. But look at any and all of the people that have been here for awhile and you will realize that many of them (read all) play styles other than Brootz and the like. I mean, I play a shite ton of metal, but right now Im in a muse-esque group that's working on stuff. Just look down the Who to listen to guys and the pedal board thread guys and you'll have all of the non-metal only guys.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Just because we specialize or mainly like to play a certain genre, doesn't mean we don't love or appreciate others. At least I do. I can't speak for everyone else.
Quote by OldRocker
I guess I'm one of a few who likes classic rock.

Me too. On a side note, I've always found the term 'Classic Rock' to be far too broad. I mean, when you have AC/DC, CCR, Hendrix, and Journey in the same genre something's wrong.
I won't touch new rock, but anything before 1992 is AOK.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Frank_Black
Me too. On a side note, I've always found the term 'Classic Rock' to be far too broad. I mean, when you have AC/DC, CCR, Hendrix, and Journey in the same genre something's wrong.

My definition of Classic Rock: All music ranging from early pop rock of the 60's to the final hair metal bands of the late 80's. Also, yeah, a LOT of people here prefer metal over most genres. But there are the Jazzies, the people still trying to figure out Eruption, the Blues Masters, the fusion techno math college degree guitarists, teh BROOTZ, and then there's you......
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I won't touch new rock, but anything before 1992 is AOK.

Man you're missing out on a lot of great songs out there. Not everything is Lady GaGa or Justin Bieber you know, there are great people making great songs today.

For example "Under Control" by The Strokes is a beautiful mellow rock song made in 2003.

Check it out.
Last edited by alans056 at May 1, 2011,
'everyone talks about rock these days, but people forget about the roll' - Keith Richards.

Wise words to remember! :3

You wanna listen to some good rock made past 92? Then listen to Grinderman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHWL_JPtDc
Last edited by Zoot Allures at May 1, 2011,
I'm kind of the opposite.

I don't listen to anything before 1999 exept David Bowie.

I can't stand the so called "legends" like Beatles, Hendrix and all that stuff.
Quote by alans056
Man you're missing out on a lot of great songs out there. Not everything is Lady GaGa or Justin Bieber you know, there are great people making great songs today.

For example "Under Control" by The Strokes is a beautiful mellow rock song made in 2003.

Check it out.

See your problem there is that Lady GaGa is awesome, and the Strokes are shit.

Stuff like Jet, QOTSA and Nickelback turn me right off post-2000.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by alans056

How can you say the other guy is missing out when you've basically ignored nearly 100years worth of recorded music?

edit: and the strokes and lady gaga are both shit, strokes are just bad synth pop these days.
Quote by alans056

Thou hast no respect for your roots. Seriously though, all of the bands you listed in the beginning were HEAVILY influenced by bands like the beatles, pink floyd, and led zepplin. Listen to those bands a bit and you can see how modern bands evolved
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Zoot Allures
How can you say the other guy is missing out when you've basically ignored nearly 100years worth of recorded music?

edit: and the strokes and lady gaga are both shit, strokes are just bad synth pop these days.

Oh don't get me wrong I have listened to bands from that era. But when I say that you're "missing out" on the stuff of today, I mean that because it's constantly changing and evolving, that's why it's so interesting.

Bands from decades ago will always be the same and you won't discover anymore.
*reported* ehmuhgawd luls i purted him! hahahsihsioahiahololo9lsdol

people are so stupid..
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by alans056
Oh don't get me wrong I have listened to bands from that era. But when I say that you're "missing out" on the stuff of today, I mean that because it's constantly changing and evolving, that's why it's so interesting.

Bands from decades ago will always be the same and you won't discover anymore.

Meh, theres only so much that can be done, Frank Zappa still sounds original, Tom Waits old (and new) stuff still sounds original, Hendrix does too, etc. A lot of new music does too but a lot of stuff in the so called 'rock' genre sounds bland and derivitive, a watered down version of other older music for instance.
Hipster shit=/= rock.

this is coming from a fan of The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys.

I maintain that The Gaslight Anthem is our generations closest thing to a era-defining rock band.
Last edited by due 07 at May 1, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures

The Strokes' first few albums were tops. Newest album is total shit though. Lady GaGa's cool, though. She writes a good pop song.
just because somebody likes to play metal doesn't mean that's all they play.

i like to play rock every now and then. my chemical romance is really fun to play. paramore, too.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at May 1, 2011,
I used to be pretty much "pre-1980 music or stfu", but now I think my top 10 favorite bands are all from 1988 and onwards or so. Music is better now than it ever has been.
Quote by Blick71
Thou hast no respect for your roots. Seriously though, all of the bands you listed in the beginning were HEAVILY influenced by bands like the beatles, pink floyd, and led zepplin. Listen to those bands a bit and you can see how modern bands evolved

That doesn't mean shit, I love Megadeth and one of Dave Mustaine's bigger influences was Cat Stevens. I cannot STAND Cat Stevens.

On-topic -> metal guy here, but I like all sorts
Quote by due 07
I used to be pretty much "pre-1980 music or stfu", but now I think my top 10 favorite bands are all from 1988 and onwards or so. Music is better now than it ever has been.

to some extent. a lot of music now has gone worse, too.

the only thing you can say for certain is the quality has gotten better. and by quality, i mean it literally.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Blick71

Talk about missing the point. He doesn't like it. It doesn't matter how influential the band is if you can't stand their music.
Quote by alans056

That is borderline sacrilege.

I rarely play anything other than classic rock.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Zoot Allures

Ah, they are a contender as well. As are Foo Fighters. But I hate them, so I deliberately didn't mention them
Quote by due 07
Ah, they are a contender as well. As are Foo Fighters. But I hate them, so I deliberately didn't mention them

I dunno, foo fighters you may have a point with but they're in the same catagory of blandness in my head as 'them crooked vultures' so i'm not a fan either..

Edit: and why has Josh Hommes tone ended up getting progressively less bassy and worse as time goes on >_< Back in kyuss days it was awesome sounding.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I dunno, foo fighters you may have a point with but they're in the same catagory of blandness in my head as 'them crooked vultures' so i'm not a fan either..

Edit: and why has Josh Hommes tone ended up getting progressively less bassy and worse as time goes on >_< Back in kyuss days it was awesome sounding.

I wish my QOTSA-loving friends were more like you. They all worship TCV, but dislike Kyuss. I'm the other way around, only I don't care for QOTSA too much. I don't dislike them or think they're bad, I'd just rather listen to something else.
Pfffffft anything that is not pure metulz is not worthy of existence \m/

Does it really matter? Who cares if people on here most do metal? Or mostly rock? It's a guitar forum, pretty much anything involving guitar resides here (except the pit >.>
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by due 07

I wish my QOTSA-loving friends were more like you. They all worship TCV, but dislike Kyuss. I'm the other way around, only I don't care for QOTSA too much. I don't dislike them or think they're bad, I'd just rather listen to something else.

Well, i do like QOTSA but i prefer Kyuss. I think QOTSA has basically become the 'Josh Homme Show' these days.

Era Vulgaris wasn't really very good either, lullabies had some good songs but things have become worse every album in general since Nick left

edit: Things would be better if Nick came back, Mark Lanegan did some more singing for them and someone told josh homme to turn the bass back up and stop doing terrible things like playing on the bridge pickup
Page 1 of 2