Hello guys

I've saved some bucks to buy a (decent) Strat, and I really want to make a good choice. These 2 models are on the table:

Squier Classic Vibe 50s (Lake Placid Blue)

Fender Standard Stratocaster (Made in Mexico, maple fretboard)

I've already tried a Squier 50s (Sunburst) and I liked the neck and the "primary" tone was very decent (clean, no effects) but the setup was very poor, there was buzz everywhere. That disappointed me, everybody told me they were awesome guitars, I was already expecting a better setup... Maybe the problem is that guitar in specific, I'm looking for more of those in shops to try out.

About the MIM Strat I still haven't found an exemplar to play in the shops...

What do you think? What's the best choice?
CV Strats that I've played played and sounded good but felt cheap. Felt a bit like toys.

MIM Fenders are very good guitars and a good platform for mods.

I can't remember the difference in quality of things like fretwork etc so sorry I can't help on that.

You're honestly not going to go wrong with either. What's the price difference?
ive found the mim strats to have better qc than the squires but both are good guitars and modded with new pups and a setup are awesome

not sure the price on them but if the price is the same id look around to find a good one
From what Little I've used both Squire and MIM strats, I think the MIM ones have better fret work and definitely better electronics.

That being said, go with the one that plays and sounds best to you.
As for price, the Squire is probably around $250 IIRC, and the MIM is about $350 so not really that much of a difference.

But, the best thing about a strat is that you can mod it out to what ever you want. The cool thing about a squire is that you are getting a strat body and a decent neck for $200. Throw on some locking tuners, some new pickups and a new trem (assuming you use the trem) and you would have a custom guitar, the same can be said for the MIM strat too but with a little better quality control and resale value.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
The CV is better than the MIM strat in just about every facet. Imo... better playing, better sounding, more consistent.
I say MIM. Yes they are a little more expensive, but you generally get what you pay for. I've never found a Squier that I can honestly say I liked, but I just bought an MIM Strat that I love. Quality control tends to be spotty, but head and neck above Squiers. Just my two cents.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
If you can afford the Fender, get the Fender.

What you don't pay for now, you'll pay for later.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
If you can afford the Fender, get the Fender.

What you don't pay for now, you'll pay for later.
Like what? It's not as if the MIM strat uses top components. The pickups suck ass. The bridge sucks ass. They are inconsistent quality-wise. What exactly would you need to pay for later with the Classic Vibe that you wouldn't have to do with the MIM?

The Classic Vibe's fit and finish in every guitar I've picked up has been head and shoulders above the MIMs. The pickups are also far better as they use Tonerider Surfaris instead of the shitty, brittle sounding ceramic pickups in the MIM standards. The only thing you are losing is the headstock logo. If it's THAT big of a deal, pay the extra $150 to get an inferior guitar so you can have a "real" Fender.
Quote by al112987
Like what? It's not as if the MIM strat uses top components. The pickups suck ass. The bridge sucks ass. They are inconsistent quality-wise. What exactly would you need to pay for later with the Classic Vibe that you wouldn't have to do with the MIM?

The Classic Vibe's fit and finish in every guitar I've picked up has been head and shoulders above the MIMs. The pickups are also far better as they use Tonerider Surfaris instead of the shitty, brittle sounding ceramic pickups in the MIM standards. The only thing you are losing is the headstock logo. If it's THAT big of a deal, pay the extra $150 to get an inferior guitar so you can have a "real" Fender.

boom
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
i think it comes down to preference more than anything.

i found the classic vibes felt a bit tacky and plasticcy but other than that sounded better. i think that plasticcy feel is simply the finish, but i really don't like it. my other criticism was that the electronics felt very cheap, like they could fall apart in your hand.

i think that despite these things the classic vibes are better guitars "out of the box" whereas you're gonna need to modify a MIM to get the best out of it. i think once you've done that, a MIM has more potential to be a better guitar, but paying more for something less to begin with is questionable, for sure...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm not a huge fan of the thick poly either, but I'm just not big on gloss necks in general. Some Squier classic vibes use the mini-pots and others use full-sized pots. Either way, the electronics are a quick fix. The CV series to me is highly reminiscent of the MIJ Squiers of the '80s which were awesome guitars that command a high dollar now (especially the early ones). It really took about 20 years before people started paying attention to the actual guitars rather than the name on the headstock to realize that those were actually just as good as the MIA Fenders. And now? You see Squier JV strats going for $1000+.

My biggest gripe with Fender standard strats (MIM) is that they are just all over the place. Some of them have really rough necks, some of them weigh as much as a boat and some just flat out sound bad. They all use crappy pickups, and the hardware is mediocre. I'm not saying the hardware on the Squiers are much better, but consider one cost $350 and the other cost $500.
Last edited by al112987 at May 2, 2011,
I read all the posts in the last 10 minutes, thanks for all the help but now I'm even more confused
There are always going to be people who tell you to buy the MIM because the quality is supposedly better. But I've witnessed the complete opposite. My first guitar was a Squeir affinity strat which I got... Idk... 14-15 years ago now? It was truly an awful guitar and I always told myself that I would never buy another Squier, but the Classic Vibes are actually very good guitars. I would play a few different models and see if you come across one with a better setup. Most of the ones I've played were out of the box and were very good with low action, straight neck and no buzzing. But every guitar is different.

Go to GC, they always have a bunch of standards and used standards in stock.
You know you can always get the setup changed.....

Anyways, I have a hard time differentiating between Fender guitars (I thought I was playing a CV tele, but I was playing a $900 USA Fender Tele), but they do have a certain "toyiness" to them. I like that.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON