http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAi5Ef5ivWo&feature=channel_video_title

Song me and my friend made. My friend wrote and sang the lyrics. I wrote the music and mixed it all. My friends not a singer at all so we did the best we could.

BTW we wrote the song about a kid at our school we call a dragon slayer because he dates all of the fat ugly chicks. Hes our friend though so it's just a joke. Nothing against him.

Also I'm more of a metal guitarist so my punk writing skills ins't the best.

C4C
Last edited by guitarocker100 at May 1, 2011,
I actually really like the music, simple but it works. Vocal melody isn't too bad either.

The lyrics are a little cringey though, and not in a good way. Also, vocals are mixed REALLY bad. It sounds almost "separate" from the music entirely and that brings way too much attention to it.

The lyrics are really cringey.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Haanz
I actually really like the music, simple but it works. Vocal melody isn't too bad either.

The lyrics are a little cringey though, and not in a good way. Also, vocals are mixed REALLY bad. It sounds almost "separate" from the music entirely and that brings way too much attention to it.

The lyrics are really cringey.

Ya I know neither of us are singers or want to be singers. I just told him to write lyrics and sing while I make the song.

I know what you mean with the mixing too. I was trying to figure out how to make it not sound "separate" but I couldn't figure it out. How do I do it? I might remix it to make it sound at least semi decent.
hahahaha well let me tell ya dude ... i REALLY enjoyed it. if i was a guitarist back in the highschool days, i probably would've made a similar song! lol

as far as the "vocals being seperate" ... i don't know....i thought it was well done. i liked the light backing in the background at the of the verses too.

i just recently made my first recording too. it's meant to lean more towards metal ... with a "hauntingly sad" bridge part into the solo. check it out and let me knokw what you think!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27082838#post27082838
What software are you using? Off the top of my head:

1. Turn the volume down on the vocals. They don't need to be louder to hear, you want a bit of bleed in from the guitars.
2. If your instruments are in separate tracks, you're gonna want drums and vocals in centre and guitars in separate left/right channels. This helps remove the "voice on top" feel.
3. Try and remove the microphone hiss. Most audio creation tools, including Audacity, have a noise removal feature. Try a bit of creative equalization - boost the bass a bit.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
I would suggest adding some light compression to the vocal track. Then you can let loose and it'll still maintain the volume that you want.

As far as the rest of the song, I think it's a fun little jam. The guitar sounds good, that's a good punk tone. Nice and thick, but not sludgey. The drums sound pretty good too. I think you just need to add a touch of distortion to the vocals, bring them down, and add a little compression and it would sound a lot more "gelled together" if you know what I mean.

Here's mine if you care to listen:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437903
Last edited by whatadrag at May 1, 2011,
Quote by Haanz
What software are you using? Off the top of my head:

1. Turn the volume down on the vocals. They don't need to be louder to hear, you want a bit of bleed in from the guitars.
2. If your instruments are in separate tracks, you're gonna want drums and vocals in centre and guitars in separate left/right channels. This helps remove the "voice on top" feel.
3. Try and remove the microphone hiss. Most audio creation tools, including Audacity, have a noise removal feature. Try a bit of creative equalization - boost the bass a bit.

For guitar I'm using Guitar Rig, drums is EZDrummer, and DAW is Reaper.

1. Alright I will see how it sounds.
2. Drums are panned the normal way. Bass and vocals are in the center. Guitars 100% left and 100% right.
3. Just curious where you hear the microphone hiss? I will definitely remove it if I can hear it. And where exactly do I boost the bass? In the vocals?
Quote by whatadrag
I would suggest adding some light compression to the vocal track. Then you can let loose and it'll still maintain the volume that you want.

How can I add compression in Reaper?That would be really helpful because we were constantly having to move closer and farther from the mic depending on how loud the singing needed to be.

And what plug in can I use to add distortion?

I'm a bit of a mixing noob. I just throw my songs together without knowing what I'm doing usually.
Last edited by guitarocker100 at May 2, 2011,