I've been in an Orange kind of mood lately...

So....I'm moving to a high-rise apartment in about a week, and it was time to scale down the 5150. Its been fun shredding the hell out of my fingers and my Les Paul, but I find myself in need of a much, much quieter Amplifier and something that doesnt require the same amount of space as a three drawer dresser.

So, I went out and got this guy.

Sweet little amps, these Terror's. I thought I would share it with the UG faithful.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at May 1, 2011,
Quote by AcousticMirror
not class A but good sounding none the less.

Sweetwater says it is. Musician's Friend does, too.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Last edited by bAngiel01 at May 1, 2011,
Orange said it was.....

Either way. I'm really happy with it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
^ +1

if you can show me how you get 15 watts out of two el84s in class a, then i'd love to hear it.

EDIT: sweet rig, by the way. The fact it's not class a has no bearing on how good of an amp it is, i just don't like dodgy marketing.

BTW, how does everyone keep their rigs so tidy? My room looks like a tactical nuke just hit it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by denied
They also say the HT-5 is all tube

i read a lot of times that the HT-5 isn't all tube but seriously about every internetsite i look at says it is. what is the truth on it now? i thought it did have pre-amp and power amp tubes.

also i love the orange look on those amps. maybe cause im Dutch and am a sucker for our national colour!

BTW, how does everyone keep their rigs so tidy? My room looks like a tactical nuke just hit it

the trick is to take the photograph after you cleaned the place around your amp.
my room has the 2 amps, lot( i think 3 or 4 dont know) of boxes from pedals and also all the guitars, cables, pedals themselves and stuff for college.
Last edited by wolvenrick at May 2, 2011,
See in technical terms 'class a' and 'all tube' are pretty concrete quantitative terms... In marketing not so much. The way to tell is by looking at the schematic, not the marketing literature.

Congrats on the amp! I've always been interested in these, I've heard great things.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

if you can show me how you get 15 watts out of two el84s in class a, then i'd love to hear it.

EDIT: sweet rig, by the way. The fact it's not class a has no bearing on how good of an amp it is, i just don't like dodgy marketing.

Mine is actually neat most of the time. Unfortunately, 5 of the 6 wall hangers I just put in have started to come out of the wall, and one of them is completely yanked out, so at the moment my guitars are scattered across the floor where they'll be safe.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
^ yeah my room's just a mess, cables everywhere etc.

Quote by wolvenrick
(a) i read a lot of times that the HT-5 isn't all tube but seriously about every internetsite i look at says it is. what is the truth on it now? i thought it did have pre-amp and power amp tubes.

(b) the trick is to take the photograph after you cleaned the place around your amp.
my room has the 2 amps, lot( i think 3 or 4 dont know) of boxes from pedals and also all the guitars, cables, pedals themselves and stuff for college.

(a) yeah, it's not all-tube. It does have a preamp tube and a power amp tube, but it also has op-amps providing some of the amplification, clipping diodes producing some of the overdrive/distortion and a solid state phase inverter.

(b) ah ok

Quote by tubetime86
See in technical terms 'class a' and 'all tube' are pretty concrete quantitative terms... In marketing not so much. The way to tell is by looking at the schematic, not the marketing literature.

Yeah, marketing basically says that you try to get away with saying black is white... by not actually saying, but by strongly implying.

Not a fan of marketing.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

I'm pretty sure you can do it. I'm not an electrical engineer though so I'm not the guy to ask about the technical aspects.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
you can certainly get 15 watts out of two el84s... not so sure you can get it out of two el84s in class a... i was under the impression you were normally getting 5 or 6 watts per el84 in class a...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you can certainly get 15 watts out of two el84s... not so sure you can get it out of two el84s in class a... i was under the impression you were normally getting 5 or 6 watts per el84 in class a...

EL84s are underspeced often as far as total power dissipation goes. You can often put about 14W on them instead of 12W and be fine as far as it goes. If you find a brand of EL84s that can handle 15W idle dissipation, I'm looking at you JJs, then you could "theoretically" get 15W of output at full power in class A.

Class A efficiency is 50%.

That being said... a Vox AC30 is true class A until right about 25-26W from the last scope traces I took on one of those.

Class A on anything being sold is a gimmick... there is no real difference audible between class A and class AB... and crossover distortion isn't all that noticeable in class B when you have multiple frequencies at the same time.

EDIT: I did really like the tiny terror when I tried it out. If I had the money I would have bought one then, but I've been poor ever since I started college.
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at May 2, 2011,
what about the gapped transformer core.

Aiken makes it sound like the transformer is really important too...otherwise you could just bias into class A whenever you wanted to.

Anyhow, like Xgamerz said it's really just a gimmick. The only reason that a guitar amp would be marketed as class A is because the AC30 is supposedly class A so any other amp that is class A would also be that cool.

However, single ended amps are class A. I think? Xgamerz? Do you concur??
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
HNAD.

Quote by AcousticMirror

However, single ended amps are class A. I think? Xgamerz? Do you concur??

I guess you have no choice with single ended but to go class A.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

The Laney LC15 has two EL84's and is Class A IIRC

HNAD! Oranges are sweet
EDIT: The LC15 is A/B. Just checked.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at May 2, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The Laney LC15 has two EL84's and is Class A IIRC
Nope... Class AB
^

Quote by XgamerGt04
EL84s are underspeced often as far as total power dissipation goes. You can often put about 14W on them instead of 12W and be fine as far as it goes. If you find a brand of EL84s that can handle 15W idle dissipation, I'm looking at you JJs, then you could "theoretically" get 15W of output at full power in class A.

oh ok

Quote by TheQuailman

I guess you have no choice with single ended but to go class A.

i think you can bias single-ended so it's not class a?

Not entirely sure how that works (it doesn't make much sense to me), but I've read people (like aiken) saying you can, so...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?