what are some examples of songs that use modal interchange?
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
A very common harmonic movement that uses modal interchange is to move from a minor chord to a major chord a semitone below. You hear this everywhere in music, from classical to jazz to progressive rock.

A great example of this is the Rome Total War theme (one of the most awesome themes ever).
Last edited by Sóknardalr at May 1, 2011,
Quote by Sóknardalr
A very common harmonic movement that uses modal interchange is to move from a minor chord to a major chord a semitone below. You hear this everywhere in music, from classical to jazz to progressive rock.

Quote by rickyj

I didn't have any specific examples but I just posted one. Here's another (at 1:57). Also one of the progressions in Genesis' Supper's Ready uses it. I forget where exactly in the piece it is.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this one also uses modal interchange. Same kind of movement as in the Rome: TW theme.
Last edited by Sóknardalr at May 1, 2011,
Modal interchange is simply a method of using a chord borrowed from the parallel minor or major. For example in House of the Rising Sun it is in the key of A minor, but an E major is used near the end of the repeating chord progression. E major does not belong to the key of A minor, it is borrowed from the parallel major, A major.

I'm always a bit hesitant to call this "modal interchange" as it suggests modes, and that never ends well here.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
let's say summer of 69 D ionian but in the chorus it went b aolian and in the bridge it went
F ionian which makes the D become an relative minor of it so when change back to verse D A D A it is like going in to F's relative minor but turn it to major
Quote by AlanHB
I'm always a bit hesitant to call this "modal interchange" as it suggests modes, and that never ends well here.

+1

Anyway, off the top of my head, Mad World borrows the IV chord from the relative major in both the verse and chorus progressions:
Verse: i - III - VII - IV
Chorus: i - IV

Quote by amfilica
let's say summer of 69 D ionian but in the chorus it went b aolian and in the bridge it went
F ionian which makes the D become an relative minor of it so when change back to verse D A D A it is like going in to F's relative minor but turn it to major

I'm not really picturing that bridge and I'm not going to listen to the song right now because, personally, I can't quite stand it. But what you mentioned there sounds more like it's an actual modulation rather than borrowed chords. And don't call major and minor "ionian" and "aeolian" just because it makes you feel smarter. There's no need to think modally in this case.
Last edited by sickman411 at May 1, 2011,
Quote by amfilica

I'm backing sickman on this one. Summer of 69's chord progression goes D - A for the verse, Bm - A - D - G for the chorus. It's in D major. The bridge modulates (key change) to F major. No modes involved, no modal interchange involved.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm backing sickman on this one. Summer of 69's chord progression goes D - A for the verse, Bm - A - D - G for the chorus. It's in D major. The bridge modulates (key change) to F major. No modes involved, no modal interchange involved.

This.

I love that song. I'm graduating this year, so it really speaks to me.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Sean0913
Freebird.

@ Alan - I would still consider House of the Rising Sun in Am - but from A Harmonic Minor.

Sean

Makes sense!
Soundcloud