Ok so the going rate for Real Life lessons are about 30 bucks / half hour and once a week.

There are also online lessons for about 30 buck a month with tons of online lessons and actual feedback from teachers.

Would online lessons be better for someone on a very tight budget? Or would coughing up the extra money for RL lessons be better in the long run?

Thanks!

I wasnt sure where else to post this o.O
Thats a hard one. I think it really depends on your skill level, if you know enough to follow along with the basics, you can easily get by with just reading things online (talking about theory) but if you are new to this then having formal instruction is the way to go, at least until you can sustain yourself.

This is a good place to start online.
http://musiced.about.com/od/musictheory/u/musiced_musictheory.htm

Also, there is some really awesome stuff on Youtube. You may be able to find what you need there if you know what to look for.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I would think that RL lessons would be better because a teacher would notice problems with hand position,technique,Etc.
it depends on the person and the teacher and how they learn best
i recommend these, he outlines everything in a way that just makes sense to me (trust me ive seen so many dif sites and stuff to try and understand theory but i never got it but this is so easy to follow along too)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur#p/c/B585CE43B02669C3/0/6gHEIF0rT2w
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Quote by !Mike!
i recommend these, he outlines everything in a way that just makes sense to me (trust me ive seen so many dif sites and stuff to try and understand theory but i never got it but this is so easy to follow along too)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur#p/c/B585CE43B02669C3/0/6gHEIF0rT2w

Lol I watched a lot of his lessons. He helped a lot with my theory and he's funny! lol
Quote by Soccerguy
30 bucks a session is really over-priced. I pay like $10.

I used to pay $20/Hour for in-house lessons. Can't beat that.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I gotta agree that the price seems a bit steep, is that the only place in the area?

anyway I personally recommend a real life teacher, just because they can physically see whats wrong with your technique or whatever. and they can also see when you are confused, both of wich an online teacher cannot, or will atleast have a more difficult time seeing these things.

not to mention your teacher won't go away if you run into internet problems ......
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
There are some good internet teachers but honestly I don't think you can match real life tuition, that's my opinion based on teaching online and in RL, and taking lessons online and in RL.
Playing with others is the best instruction.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by krypticguitar87
I gotta agree that the price seems a bit steep, is that the only place in the area?

anyway I personally recommend a real life teacher, just because they can physically see whats wrong with your technique or whatever. and they can also see when you are confused, both of wich an online teacher cannot, or will atleast have a more difficult time seeing these things.

not to mention your teacher won't go away if you run into internet problems ......

30 bucks is average..

The teacher i was interested in is 30 bucks for 30 mins. He's a great instructor. I took his college course but he teaches beginner college classes and his class was too easy for me lol
Quote by Thexbert
30 bucks is average..

The teacher i was interested in is 30 bucks for 30 mins. He's a great instructor. I took his college course but he teaches beginner college classes and his class was too easy for me lol

IMO if you can afford it, take the lessons from him....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
IMO if you can afford it, take the lessons from him....

Thats the thing. I can only afford to pay for it once a month...

30 bucks / month for a 30min lesson vs. 20 bucks a month for unlimited VIDEO lessons O.o
If you dont have much spare money it is best to do it all online. Ive been around looking for free lessons a lot in the past couple of years and junstinguitar.com has the best free lessons so far.
Quote by Thexbert
Thats the thing. I can only afford to pay for it once a month...

30 bucks / month for a 30min lesson vs. 20 bucks a month for unlimited VIDEO lessons O.o

hmm.... that sux but if you can only afford that then I guess thats what you should go for.... but if I were you I would still continue to look for a teacher you can get some face time with
Quote by Dirk Gently
$30 for half an hour is a rip off unless the guy's famous or something!

For that (and even less if you pay in blocks of three) you can get taught via webcam lessons by Dave Weiner, who is probably (without knowing your teacher I'd still believe this) a lot better at teaching than your teacher. Hell he teaches at MI in LA!

I pay £5 for an hours lesson, but that hours lesson is shared with 4 other people, so I probably get around half an hour's actual interaction as the guy rotates between the people. It's a small price to pay really, all I have to do is listen to kids try to overpower each other while they play Kings of Leon tunes and I can learn Jazz and Theory for £5 an hour!

So the idea of $30 (roughly £20 for me I believe) for half an hour is insane!
A lot of the guitar teachers around my area commonly charge £10 for a half hour lesson.

I think in this case online lessons may be better (providing you do a mix of like non-interactive lessons and skype/webcam lessons so there is still an element of interaction with someone who can gauge your progress and stuff).
$30 is a lot per half hour lesson. $20 would be a fair price. Personally, I think online lessons would be better at this point. But hey, 2 or 3 IRL lessons a year could never hurt. Hell, IIRC, Randy Rhoades would occasionally get lessons from random teachers while he was tours
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
What do you mean by an online lesson? A pre-recorded video for multiple people to watch or some kind of webcam conversation dealio?
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'