You want a compressor plugin there, I think. There are probably some built in but I'm sure there are free ones available elsewhere.

There's no substitute for consistent singing, though
Quote by nigeltheginger
There are probably some built in

there are.
Automation. If you use it right you won't need nearly as much compression which will mean a more natural vocal sound. Its called vocal riding. Takes time but it's worth it.
Quote by nigeltheginger
You want a compressor plugin there, I think. There are probably some built in but I'm sure there are free ones available elsewhere.

There's no substitute for consistent singing, though

I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by sandyman323
Automation. If you use it right you won't need nearly as much compression which will mean a more natural vocal sound. Its called vocal riding. Takes time but it's worth it.

this, this, this, and this. oh, and a bit of mild compression.

it sounds a lot better than just compressing the heck out of it for consistent volume.
What you're going to need is either a Compressor or Volume Automation.
If Reaper is good, it'll have Effects tracks or Group Channels which you can add effect automation to.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
What you're going to need is either a Compressor or Volume Automation.
If Reaper is good, it'll have Effects tracks or Group Channels which you can add effect automation to.

But how do I do that? Anybody know how or have a link that tells how?
I tell this to everyone who is looking to do something in their DAW, read the Manuals. It should be under the "Help" tab.
That myth about men never reading manuals, bullshit. It doesn't change your manliness level whatsoever to read a manual. You may pick up a few tricks you didn't know.

I read all four manuals to Cubase AI4, it took more than ten hours(I was making sure I understood everything.). I now know all the ins and outs of that program. I still have to use the quick reference manual every now and then.
Reading the manual is a great time investment.
/Extremely long post which could've been a one-liner but I rambled like usual.
Quote by guitarocker100
Is it really that hard to tell me? I don't feel like going through a manual trying to find it. And usually people on UG are more helpful because they are experienced in what works best.

"Is it really that hard to tell you?" = "Is it really that annoying for you to do the work for me, finding out how to use my DAW/teaching me how to use my DAW and then serving me up the information on a plate because I'm too lazy/stupid to read a manual or find tutorials on google/youtube and don't have the right attitude for someone who supposedly enjoys making music?"

Jus' sayin', bro... </kanye west>
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I was going to respond with something very similar to DisarmGoliath, but he beat me to it.

If you can't be bothered to look in the goddamned manual and want someone to download a .PDF Manual just to look it up for you... I have yet again lost all hope in this generation.

Like I said, I know all the ins and outs of Cubase AI4 because I read through the whole manual. You can do that or bitch about not knowing how to read one.
Quote by guitarocker100
You guys were really helpful thanks for all the info.......

Did you read the manual yet?
I feel like helping the poor fella here, even though that means he won't learn to read manuals that way ;-), so here goes:

On the vocal track in Reaper click 'FX', in the window that opens click Add, and choose Cockos->ReaComp. Make sure that you read the Wikipedia article on Compression, so that you understand what Ratio, Threshold, Attack and Release do, to have any hope on setting the compressor sensibly. Compression is really pretty much always required to get your vocals to sound decent!

Some other things: If the backing is not consistent, you will need automation to even out the perceived volume level (vocals will sound quieter against a louder backing). At a coarse level it's easy and quick to do, but if you really want it sounding professional it's either a lot of work or Waves Vocal Rider will help you out a lot...
I think he was wanting to know about volume automation.
I found a very good article on Compression a while ago, but it looks like I forgot to bookmark it...

TS, some key terms with the volume automation:
Effects Channel, Group Channel, Automation, Write Enable, Read Enable. Those are terms that come to mind right now.
That should help you in your search.