Hello Pit,

Title says it all. How long do you memorize/review/grind your way into something until it sticks to your head? Could be anything from memorizing every single word in a novel or memorizing songs.

One read is usually good for me, I soak stuff up like a sponge. Same for listening in my lectures, I hardly ever need notes.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by mrcrono
...Do people memorize every single word in a novel?

I know one girl who memorized all the words in a harry potter book once.
Quote by gothblade
I know one girl who memorized all the words in a harry potter book once.

Wow.

I didn't know girls could hop aboard the no-pussy train. Guess I learned something today.

And I'm gonna commit it to memory
When I learn a solo I play it about 10-20 times at first then I've def got in my memory just about forever
Quote by Tom 1.0
One read is usually good for me, I soak stuff up like a sponge. Same for listening in my lectures, I hardly ever need notes.

^^^^Sounds like the dude in Limitless

As for normal peeps like myself, gotta beat it in. With a song, play it through in chunks till its down then I know it by memory. With school work: notes and more notes. It gets stuck in your head like muscle memory, you kinda know it without knowing you know it.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
in my opinion, I don't know a tune until I can play seven choruses in a row perfectly.
#DTWD
Have to go over it a lot; though it really depends on the subject matter. If I've read other material on a similar subject (or played a similar song, similar book, etc.), it comes quicker of course.

As long as I can put things into my own words, it shouldn't be too hard to memorize.
I remember things better if I encode them in a number of ways. For example, with Welcome Home (Sanitarium) I learnt the riffs themselves, then the order in which they occur, then the sequence of what chords I'm actually playing, then the relationship of the chords to each other. So when I try to remember it, all I need to do is recall ONE of those methods of encoding it in my head, and that one will trigger the rest.

Sounds complicated, but it doesn't take any longer than playing it to death to remember it. Same with school notes - relating anything you're perceiving to multiple stimuli dramatically increases your chance of remembering it
Check out my Black/Death metal band!
galadh.bandcamp.com

Quote by StewieSwan
I had unprotected sex with an underage, pro-life, christian girl. Beat that.

facts and numbers i remember easily, but i don't remember names of anyone or what i was doing yesterday.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Depends what it is, and how it's being put into my head. If I'm sitting listening to a new song absent mindedly while doing something else, chances are most of it will be stuck in my head by the 2nd time through (if it's catchy) and by the 3rd time I could sing most of it.
If I sit in a class and take notes, all my concentration is taken up writing down the words as they're dictated, and I don't take any of it in. Course I don't read up when I get home, so that's knowledge lost.
If I sit and listen for an hour to a teacher talk, I could probably score 70% or so in a test the next day
I can hear just about anything in school one time, but it ALWAYS takes me 2 times to hear a song to remember it. I might hear a song and like it a lot, but then completely forget it the next day. Then listen to it again and never forget it again.
Slap someone after telling them something, they'll remember forever.
you're a stone fox
I've got pretty bad memory. For school stuff, I need to practice all my module for a whole week before I feel I am ready. But right after my examination, I forget them immediately because I block them out. I believe that my brain has limited space, so I remember selectively.

For learning songs, I need to keep playing sections over and over and even then, if I don't play a song for some time I'll forget how to play it. I was pretty peeved when I realised I forgot how to play Enter Sandman, Am I Evil and The Unforgiven by Metallica.
Quote by triface
I've got pretty bad memory. For school stuff, I need to practice all my module for a whole week before I feel I am ready. But right after my examination, I forget them immediately because I block them out. I believe that my brain has limited space, so I remember selectively.

For learning songs, I need to keep playing sections over and over and even then, if I don't play a song for some time I'll forget how to play it. I was pretty peeved when I realised I forgot how to play Enter Sandman, Am I Evil and The Unforgiven by Metallica.

You've got to be shitting me.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
You've got to be shitting me.

Ok my bad. I learned the song from a Metallica song book, but all right, Diamond Head.
The length of time I remember something is inversely proportional to its usefulness.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne