Right, I need a mic. that can record acoustic guitars (both nylon and steel string) and vocals, and I have a budget of approx. £100.
Any recommendations? They would be much appreciated. Thanks
Youl need some kind of condenser really...

See if you can find a second hand Rhode NT1
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Mxl 603s
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Tony Iommi Signature SG
'66 Harmony Bobkat
... waiting for someone to suggest an SM57...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ or an sm57, there's nothing they cant do
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty
^ or an sm57, there's nothing they cant do

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Sorry Chris, I had to
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Quote by axemanchris
... waiting for someone to suggest an SM57...

CT

You have to admit, it's fun freaking out at the newbies who suggest an SM57.

TS, do you have any sort of interface to record with. And no, the mic in on your soundcard is not an interface.
..I was watching my death.
Rode NT1A
See if you can pick up a used one. Got mine for £90 in perfect condition and with a pop shield.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Well I just got the Samson C03 and it seems pretty good, has a -10db pad, high-pass and is multi-pattern, and was only £60 new at GAK
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Hai guyz, I heardz the SM57 is a good mic! Like every pros studioz use it thus its goods.

The Audio Technica AT2020 is a solid mic for vocals & acoustics.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Thanks guys. I've had a look at most of what you guys have recommended, and I think I'm gonna go for the AT2020.

Quote by timbit2006
You have to admit, it's fun freaking out at the newbies who suggest an SM57.

TS, do you have any sort of interface to record with. And no, the mic in on your soundcard is not an interface.

Ya, I'm ordering a Line 6 Pod Studio UX1.
wait wait wait. the AT2020 and the UX1 wont work together. you need an interface that has phantom power (48v) and if i'm not mistaken, the UX1 doesn't have that. the UX2 does however, if you want to stick with Line 6.
Quote by sandyman323
wait wait wait. the AT2020 and the UX1 wont work together. you need an interface that has phantom power (48v) and if i'm not mistaken, the UX1 doesn't have that. the UX2 does however, if you want to stick with Line 6.

Woah, thanks for telling me. I was literally just about to place the order. That was close.

Can some one verify the AT2020 will definitely work with the UX2?
If it says Phantom Power and has a visible switch labeled +48V or Phantom then it should have Phantom Power which is required for condensors.
..I was watching my death.
Not elitism - just picking the right tool for the job.

There was a while (not too long ago) where there were all sorts of threads about "what mic should I buy", covering all sorts of applications, from Marshall stacks, to cellos to pianos to soft vocals and everything in between. Regardless of the application, there seemed to be a glut of people saying stuff like, "Just get a 57 or a 58. They're awesome. They're also the industry standard for a reason, because all the pro studios use them."

Well... yes.... and no.

In this particular case, recording acoustic and classical guitar and vocals, an SM57 or 58 would be among the last choices of mics I would go for. Not that they're bad at all. They're just the wrong tool for the job.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
In this particular case, recording acoustic and classical guitar and vocals, an SM57 or 58 would be among the last choices of mics I would go for. Not that they're bad at all. They're just the wrong tool for the job.

CT

I find them pretty good for capturing the pick attack and nice mids of the body for acoustic guitar. But a half-decent condenser around the 12th fret is definatly my personal mic'ing of choice.

Oh and the NT1-A or AT2020 are both good budget choices.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at May 7, 2011,