Hello, I'm relatively new to the guitar scene, I'm self taught and I've been messing around with a classical guitar for about a year and a half or so. I've played other musical instruments along the way so I understand the basics of musics and such. Anywho, I've hit a plateau recently of skill increase and I think it has something to do with how I play individual notes, fingerstyle player, from what I've seen when other people play they have their fret hand prepositioned to the measure that they are on. So my question is, is it more effective and efficient to have your fret hand prepositioned to the measure you are going to play or should I just keep going with what i'm doing and just moving my fingers around as the notes come up? Because my issue is I have a hard time jumping around the fret board.

Thanks for your time,
Dedaira
I guess it depends on which aspect of your playing you want to develop. Arpeggiating ("prepositioning" is the most common way) will help you understand different chord voicings, and somewhat simplifies a song by breaking it up into chords. The method you're using could benefit your soloing if you ever decide to focus on that, as it will over time increase the accuracy and speed of your fretting hand technique.

Another way to look at it is perspective. Do you look at the song in terms of scales or chords? Some people can pick out the notes from various scales in a song, and work around that in order to play. Others (like myself) prefer to associate chords with each phrase, and arpeggiate them. It's all a matter of how you learn.
Alright thanks for the input, I normally look at the composition as just a set of scales hence why I pick at the notes one at a time while looking at as chords would mean your almost looking at the measure's sound as a whole. I suppose I just need more practice then with what I'm doing since I'm really attracted to finger style and how it accents fluidity of notes.
Glad I could help. Persistence is always the key. If you just keep working at it, you'll improve. The basic principles apply here; practice slowly at first, practice consistently, and most of all, play for You, not for your audience. Enjoy.

RS93