Hello,
I would like to start by saying, I am in love with my 1977 Ampeg VT-40(But we're still on first base... ). I think Ampeg is the best brand in the world and nothing can beat it.

I was at a estate sale store on the weekend, and my eye seemed to creep up on a beautiful mint condition 1970 Ampeg V4. It is the supersex. It looks to me like the filter caps were replaced. The replaced filter caps look like 80's-mid 90's.

One very unique feature of this amp:
It is a European model(The original owner is from Germany) and has a 220V/120V switch. The power cable is un-grounded and I probably will not mod this amp in the least to keep it vintage.
The tubes are original Magnavox so those will need replacing unless the original owner replaced them with NOS tubes.

The guy has it listed at $999.99 which is a completely ridiculous price, I'm assuming this is just because he thought it was old and cool. If I could show him what they are going for now and tell him how much work and money it'd take to get functional I could get it for anywhere between $400-$600.

On the topic of the cab:
It is a Marshall 2196 Lead cab 2x12" cab.
I've heard that the speakers are terrible, so those would need replacing.
It is the size of a regular 4x12" cab. I would make a new baffle for it and buy new speakers.
Ideally I'd like to have the V4 powering an Ampeg 8x10" cab. These seem to pop up every now and then on the local used listings. It's mostly modern bass 8x10"s which I'm not interested in. I'm interested in pre-1980 8x10"s.
He has the cab listed for $400 but I could probaby get it for $200.

What do you think of the prices? Good deal or not.
I'm definately sold on the V4 as I consider myself and Ampeg enthusiast. Can't get enough of that Ampeg.
..I was watching my death.
Third page bump.

Rather than getting the marshall, I could buy a Hughes & Kettner 4x12" from the school. Problem with it though, I'm not sure whether it's blown or there's a problem with the head. I'd have to bring my V4 to school in order to see.
I could probably get it for $100.
I could be wrong, but I think the head is a Switchblade or Attax 100(Something like that).

There's also a 6x10" cab at 12Ohms so that is off the table for me, unless I replace two of the speakers so I can get 8Ohms or 4Ohms.

EDIT: It's a 93 Attax.
Last edited by timbit2006 at May 2, 2011,
so you're just asking about the prices or was this a chance to brag before you get the actual amp try him i'd say, everyone has their price. amp's are totally up to you, you'll know what sounds best with your amp/genres
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
so you're just asking about the prices or was this a chance to brag before you get the actual amp try him i'd say, everyone has their price. amp's are totally up to you, you'll know what sounds best with your amp/genres

I'll admit... I am bragging, but I do want to know about the cab choice.
Expect to see a New Super Sexy Ampeg Amp Day thread sometime this month.

I'd just like to point out, Ampegs do all genres. They are the best clean tube amps(In my opinion.) and if you put a good Overdrive in front of them they growl.

I want to know about the cabs. Eventually, the cab will be replaced with a vintage Ampeg 8x10" like I've wanted since the day I started playing.