im having trouble deciding on a new guitar. im trying to upgrade from a mim tele. looking for a harder edge guitar. im a pretty versitile player but im looking to get into shredding a little bit more. the guitars that i have been looking at are ESP eclipse II, ernie ball music man jpx6 and the prs dave navarro model. what you guys things help me out
What is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
2500 what? yen? francs? bus tickets?
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Then you have plenty of options!

Personally, I'd look for the features I want- pickup types, neck dimensions, etc.- and then see if there are any guitars out there with the same features that AREN'T typical shredder guitars because you'll probably get a better deal.

And one of the first places I'd look with that budget would be Carvin.

Let me be clear: I don't own a Carvin, but I know a LOT of blissfully happy guitarists and bass players who do, and their line covers the spectrum.

And best of all, going with Carvin, you tell THEM what to put in the guitar- it's essentially going to be a custom job.

(I just checked their website: they have 2 of their midline "pointy shredder" guitars in stock- IOW, not their best, not their worst- priced at $1000 less than your budget. And because of the way they do guitars, even if you don't like their pointy guitar body shapes, you can still get all the features you want on a more conventionally shaped guitar.)

My next suggestion at that price range would be to find a luthier in your area and talk to them. I own several guitars by a Chicago area luthier named Jon Kammerer (even though I'm in the Dallas area...long story), and most of what I've gotten from him would be in your price range. You might be able to do just as well. And again, it wod essentially be a guitar built to your specs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 1, 2011,
I'd suggest getting a custom Carvin guitar. Designed to your specifications. Very very cheap too.

Edit: Haha I didn't even see Danny's post.
go to a guitar store. play guitars. make and educated choice.

The reality is that everybody wants something different, often to do the same task. with the sort of budget you have, it'll be tricky to get a bad guitar. you really will be best off playing anything and everything. we can spew info at you all you want, but that will in no way result in you getting the best possible guitar
honestly im a massive fan of ibanez. esp as well, but i didn't like the feel of the eclipse II. 2500 is a hell of alot for a guitar, so dont limit yourself dude. like krehzeekid said, go to a music store and try everything you can get your hands on. also do some research on the types of pickups, woods, cuts and so fourth first.

its important to find sounds that you like. listen to music and find out how the guitarist is getting that sound. let that influence your some of your decisions.

if it was my choice, i would buy like an ibanez S5470Q or something. but the important thing is that it suits you.
Last edited by jsync at May 2, 2011,
go to a guitar store. play guitars. make and educated choice.

with the sort of budget you have, it'll be tricky to get a bad guitar.

Two great truths.

several manufacturers allow you to custom design your guitar. carvin and esp to name a few.
Quote by jsync
several manufacturers allow you to custom design your guitar. carvin and esp to name a few.

Too true, but AFAIK, few have the combination of quality and price Carvin does. I can't speak to ESP's shop, but many of the other custom shops I've seen start at $2K. I've priced out a couple of Carvin customs out well under that price.

Quote by jsync

a customized ESP (factory customized) starts at about double his price range and goes way up from there.

I think a top-shelf production guitar is probably a better way to go. you get something that has been engineered to work properly, and, if its been in production a while, something that has had all the bugs worked out (such as dead or extra lively spots on the neck). I think full customs are absolutely brilliant (think made by hand for you), but I'm wary of off the shelf customs (like carvin) because, as much as the good ones are excellent, I've played a few that just didn't work out
wow guys thanks for all the replies, i have looked at carvin before they seem pretty cool but there arnt any around to try. and ill prolly try out the musicman this week. ill jsut look arounf and just play diff types of guitars that are out there
Quote by heybabby1
wow guys thanks for all the replies, i have looked at carvin before they seem pretty cool but there arnt any around to try. and ill prolly try out the musicman this week. ill jsut look arounf and just play diff types of guitars that are out there

This is the best way given your budget. Just go to a store and talk to the employees, especially if you tell them your budget and just sit there and play. Take breaks though so stuff doesn't blend together.
Quote by heybabby1

Yeah, the one downside to Carvin is that they are strictly mail-order. However, they do have generous terms & conditions for what they ship out...and I haven't met a dissatisfied Carvin customer yet.

Still, there are plenty of excellent makers out there, and you could do a he'll of a lit worse than Music Man.