just curious if i should well i mean if it would help me out any b/c i have been playing for well about 6 years and feel as if i have not moved forward in 2 of those last 6 years and i want to start making my own music but i seem to have trouble finding the right note to just fit in certain places so would music theory help me with these 2 issues?
Yes.

Also, use sentences.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
^

i think a basic understanding of punctuation would help you a lot more than theory.
honestly I gotta say this is a pointless question in this thread since most of us would agree that yes you should learn theory, for anyone that asks "should I learn theory". infact I guarentee that most of us already had the answer before even began reading your post.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Last edited by krypticguitar87 at May 2, 2011,
im in the same boat as you. self taught for 6 years, i learnt a little theory a year ago and it has helped a TONNE with writing or tranposing covers.
you're learning a language.

should you learn the alphabet?
should you learn grammar?
should you learn idiomatic tendencies of the language?

if you knew russian and came to america, would you really be content with having to point at things and just use fragments like "cake", "fork", "ball good", etc.?

the only difference is that you can make something sound good without really knowing anything in music. but there are reasons we remember the genius of mozart and beethoven while ace of base and the grateful dead were basically trends.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Yes.
Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything.

—Chick Corea
Yes it would help you with those issues (finding the right note and writing songs).

But we shouldn't really be the people to tell you whether you "should" learn. If you want to learn, learn. If you don't, don't.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Theory won't make you better at the guitar
what it will do, is give you an understanding of what your doing, aid you in writing, ear training, improvisation and interpretation--which will in turn make you a better musician.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by gnomepunter
just curious if i should well i mean if it would help me out any b/c i have been playing for well about 6 years and feel as if i have not moved forward in 2 of those last 6 years and i want to start making my own music but i seem to have trouble finding the right note to just fit in certain places so would music theory help me with these 2 issues?

if u have the time and the drive go for it,dont worry bout the grammar police
Quote by gnomepunter

I help a lot of people in the same place that you are. It can be very frustrating to look at 2 years of your life and realize theres not much forward motion. I would say that learning theory, possibly under the shepherding of a good teacher would be a great start for you. What are your options concerning private lessons?

Best,

Sean
According that you said ''I want to make my own music'' then it should be good to learn it.
Also don't ever start on modes untill you understand full basic theory.
Buy this http://www.amazon.com/Berklee-Music-Theory-Book-1/dp/0876391102/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304337617&sr=1-9 and the other part, learn both parts really good, then you can move on to advanced theory as modes etc.
Don't learn modes untill you get the first 2 books inside out, I've been there.
Quote by AlanHB
Yes it would help you with those issues (finding the right note and writing songs).

But we shouldn't really be the people to tell you whether you "should" learn. If you want to learn, learn. If you don't, don't.

play only that thing which you hear.
...yes, you should.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by gnomepunter

In generally I consider learning things (including theory) to be a good thing. That said, I don't think it will solve your issues. Couldn't hurt though.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 2, 2011,
Quote by liampje
According that you said ''I want to make my own music'' then it should be good to learn it.
Also don't ever start on modes untill you understand full basic theory.
Buy this http://www.amazon.com/Berklee-Music-Theory-Book-1/dp/0876391102/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304337617&sr=1-9 and the other part, learn both parts really good, then you can move on to advanced theory as modes etc.
Don't learn modes untill you get the first 2 books inside out, I've been there.

*facepalm*
gah!! I've been playing the guitar for 7 years... start to learn a bit about theory 2 years ago and being serious about it since last year... Man, I never thought about rolling with Kirk Hammet, but now, I can even play some of Between the Buried and Me and Protest the Hero.. what a progression for a toddler!