How the hell?
How can I know which sound I want then produce it without even thinking?
practice obviously, but where do I start?
I come up with a ska riff every now and then but it's only on G,B, and e the 3 treble strings
I want them to be more complex and be able to produce the chord progression I desire
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at May 1, 2011,
Quote by ezza619
theory

Yep! Just learn the theory and practice like hell.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I agree with the above posts, knowing what to play comes with experience and theory helps put a logic to that experience.....

check out musictheory.net
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
thanks but I dont understand how they explain chords with the piano
are there any other more guitar oriented music theory sites?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
thanks but I dont understand how they explain chords with the piano
are there any other more guitar oriented music theory sites?

do you know the notes on the fretboard?

if you don't work on that (musictheory.net has a fretboard trainer for you to learn the notes faster), then the that site becomes ten times easier. also don't start on chords work on each lesson one at a time, starting at the begining. if you have trouble understanding, the MT thread can be extreamly helpful. but in all honesty, musictheory.net is probably the best free site to learn theory, you don't need the instructor to use a specific instrument since theory is the same for all of them.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Notes are notes, doesn't matter if they're being produced by a piano, a guitar or a kazoo....an A is an A is an A. If, however, you don't know all the different ways of playing an A on your instrument of choice, well that's pretty much the heart of the problem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yyuuuuuup =[

the only instrument I ever mastered was the trumpet
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
yyuuuuuup =[

the only instrument I ever mastered was the trumpet

If you really mastered the trumpet you should at least know your harmonic series which would then help you learn chords. Use some of that knowledge you claim to have!
I stopped playing in 8th grade and im 17 now I cant remember shit except how to finger the notes, and I dont even remember the names, just the pitch

but of course, E E# F F# etc.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at May 2, 2011,
Quote by SKArface McDank
I stopped playing in 8th grade and im 17 now I cant remember shit except how to finger the notes, and I dont even remember the names, just the pitch

but of course, E E# F F# etc.

Err...
Learn the notes on the fretboard. Learn how the major scale is constructed, and how chords are built off of it.

There is a series in the "columns" section of the site that explains a lot of this. Search "The Crusade" in the Columns section of the site and start on lesson one.