I was setting up my RG and I can get the correct intonation on every string except the A string. The bridge is set up perfectly parallel so it's in the right spot, every string is ringing with good intonation but the A string is flat and I can't move the saddle any further forward without having the fine tuner slip out. I bought this guitar from someone else and haven't had to change the strings yet so I dunno if maybe he put some wierd gauge in there or something. Anyway it's an RG2550e so it's whatever Edge bridge is on that. Is there anyway to get it to proper intonation?
Quote by Darkdevil725
Try checking for flat frets, also the intonation could be screwed up if the strings are old.

+1 to this.

Also, if you're using really thick strings it can be tricky. Another thing is that sometimes, if the guitar has a singlecoil in the middle position (too lazy to check if yours does, lol), and it's set too high, the magnetic pull can be too strong and mess up intonation.

It's no joke, either - I can't have the middle pup of my SV5470F set up as high as I'd want to, due to this.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
If this isn't a new string set, change all the strings. Move the saddle back to a point equal to the scale length + the width of the string (use a string trimming for that tiny measure). Then intonate from there.
it does have a single coil in the middle but wouldn't that pull affect all the strings equally? same thing for flat frets? it's just the A string and the saddle is pretty far from the position all the others get good intonation at.. maybe it is just the strings. Oh well thanks, I'll post again if I still have this issue after I change the strings (not changing them till they need it).
Quote by Necronomicon
it does have a single coil in the middle but wouldn't that pull affect all the strings equally? same thing for flat frets? it's just the A string and the saddle is pretty far from the position all the others get good intonation at.. maybe it is just the strings. Oh well thanks, I'll post again if I still have this issue after I change the strings (not changing them till they need it).

as much as it would seem logical that a pickup would pull strings equally, its not the case. because of the different masses of the strings, different tensions, slight variances in pickup assembly and possibly different pole piece heights, its quite possible to pull one string more than others.

same goes for the frets. just because the fret has spent the same amount of time under the strings does not mean it has worn evenly. different string surfaces and different playing circumstances mean that its quite possible to wear frets very unevenly.

however, its probably the strings. just spend the $5 for a new set