ok, so prom is coming up in a few weeks and I'm not sure i should go. I'm not really familiar with prom and what it is and stuff. A lot of people are telling me things like "oh, it'll be the greatest experience of your life," but no one says anything specific. I'm not sure what makes prom so special. I mean, people tell me there's crazy after parties and stuff, but couldn't you just go to a party? Overall, it just seems like a lot of money for a lot of bullshit.

Anyone care to explain what makes prom so special? Am i missing something? Or is it just not for me?

Thanks

EDIT: anyone wanna share some awesome prom experiences? terrible ones?
Last edited by StopReadingThis at May 1, 2011,
It's not special but you should go at least once. Just one of those things.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My high school had a prom on a cruise ship that went on the San Francisco Bay. I would have liked to go and I had the money for it at the time but it just wasn't for me. Basically I wasn't asked to go and I look horrible in those kind of dresses.

Go if you want and have fun, it'll be a memory for you that'll last but if you're not into that kind of stuff don't go, it's up to you.
STಠ_ಠ
If there's a cute girl who doesn't have a date, ask her. It will make her feel good.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
prom is horse $hit. nothing too special, just a way for schools to make money and to keep the seniors in school til the end of the year.
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
I'm so excited for prom
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I'm going to mine in 2 weeks. It's senior year and I've never been to a dance so why not? No date, but that's whatever
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by BladeSlinger
If there's a cute girl who doesn't have a date, ask her. It will make her feel good.

Or an ugly one. It'll probably make her feel even better.

If you want to go, just go. Go with friends or something. If you're so curious to find out what it is, what better way to do it then to attend and see for yourself? It might suck, it might be great, either way at least you can say you went.
I didnt go to mine this year and don't feel like I missed out one bit, but I'm a junior and still have next year. I think everyone should go to one just as a cultural thing really, but thats just me. If you do decide to go get a date that you know you'll have fun with and party like a madman afterwards. If you don't remember it all the next morning then its a success.
I went junior and senior year. It's just like any other school formal, except only upperclassmen.
If you want my advice, don't go both years, only senior. Hell of a lot of money for a bit of fun.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by StopReadingThis
Overall, it just seems like a lot of money for a lot of bullshit.

That's really all it is. Some people don't care about tossing a few hundreds on party buses and shit, but it's not the thing for me.
Quote by fearofthemark
I'm so excited for prom

So am I.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Prom is stupid. I find it stupid because I can't dance and I'll never have a date. But hey, I'm a freshman. So what do I know.

Plus, if I wanted to drink, I could do that at home instead of doing it with a bunch of people I don't like.
Quote by Ville Valo
Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi. You just can't do it.

You should click on those, I think.

I like My Little Pony. Come at me, bro.
Quote by rockingamer2

So am I.

My date will be the prettiest there

stop being so bitter, everyone, and just enjoy it!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

You don't have to spend a bunch. A tux rental is $90 and she can get cheap dresses from places.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I went last year and it was absolutely terrible my date used me just to get her ex boyfriend jealous, it worked and they got back together at prom....I had to ride home with her afterwards. Guess that's what I get for thinking a hot girl actually liked me

I didn't go this year and I don't regret it at all
Quote by MagicsDevil

29 internets to you, good sir.

Quote by undecided1993
Well I apologise for not taking pictures of my naked mother.

Pokémon SoulSilver Friend code:0775-6767-8676
I'm planning on going. Like someone said already, it's just one of those things you do in high school.

If you don't have a date, just go with friends or something.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I would go just to say you did, you know? My senior prom is on the 14th and I'm going even though I don't have a date. The most expensive part of this whole thing so far was the ticket, which was $60. You don't really have to go all out, just hang out with your friends and have fun.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
Quote by fearofthemark

My date will be the prettiest there

stop being so bitter, everyone, and just enjoy it!

7:45, we're drivin' on the highway
Cruisin' so fast, I want time to fly
Fun, fun, think about fun
You know what it is
I got this, you got this
My friend is by my right, ay
I got this, you got this
Now you know it
Mine was yesterday. It's just a bit of fun, and an excuse to wear a tuxedo. Also the after parties tend to be some of the best there are in high school. All my friends had sex with each other.

I'd suggest going, but don't feel like you missed something huge if you don't.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
went to mine a couple of years ago.
twas shit. but hey, yours could be better. if you like to dance and whatnot and have a date that will do that same, then go for it.
Like a leaf clings to a tree
Baby please cling to me
We're creatures of the wind...

Wild is the wind
I just had my prom a few days ago, for the past 2 weeks I've been campaigning for prom queen, when I got there I found out that they had switched my running to prom king (Sexists)... however, I managed to win prom king... takin one for the nerds. Also I danced with my date and friends and stuff, and the food was pretty good... limo was cool... wearing a tux is fun... I enjoyed it.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
My parents gave me $300 for the entry fee/tux rental. I took a bus to Springer Mountain, GA, and hiked/camped with some friends along the Appalachian Trail for about a hundred miles before going home and packing for college. A month of camping and leisurely hiking beats a school-sanctioned party any time.
Here's how mine went:

-Went to dinner with sexy date and friends.
-Arrived at the actual prom.
-My date rubbed her ass on my dick for a few hours on the dance floor.
-Went to a hotel with my date and got laid.
-Smoked some weed afterwards.

Here's how a friend's went:

-Went to dinner with date and some friends.
-Danced with date for a few minutes and sat around for a few hours.
-Went straight home.

Another friend's:

-Did not go and masturbated at home all night.

TL;DR: Prom is what you make it
I'm whatever about my prom. I don't mind going to it, but it's not like I'm counting the days till it comes.

Quote by sticksause
TL;DR: Prom is what you make it

This guy is right. I'll remember what you said. I'm going with my girlfriend and I should try my damn best to make prom unforgettable. It won't be too long before she leaves for college and I only get to see her once a week...
LARGE TEXT
Last edited by Holy. at May 2, 2011,
The prom is where you spend a lot of money to fit in.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
If you wanna spend a shit ton of money that is probably better spent on hookers and blow, be my guest. Prom is a giant waste of time, money, and sexual effort. Just hang out with friends and get drunk at someone's house.