Hey guys I'm currently thinking of changing my amp.
I've got an Ibanez RG guitar, a pedal fetish, and I play blues to hard rock and some metal.

I currently have a peavey classic 30 but it's too loud for bedroom. I can turn it down but being tube driven it does sound best at higher volumes.

I would like to have another tube amp (been down the solid state path and didnt enjoy it)

I was thinking something small like a 18 watter. The 5w tiny terrors etc are good but not flexable enough.
Ideally I'd like a clean and dirty chanel, fx loop, and a set of tubes prefferably a tube rectifier also.
I don't necessarily need a "metal" amp because I can get all the drive i need from pedals, however I wouldn't say no to one either

I've looked at a few like the maz 18 and that but I can't find a local dealer (I'm in Melbourne, Australia)

any help would be appreciated as I don't really know many amp brands other than the big names.
the carvin v3m is a 50 watter but you can turn it down to 7 or 22 watts IIRC and it's pretty versatile
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

cool, might have to try and find a carvin to demo
Edit: Scrap that, spent all afternoon on the phone, cant find anyone that stocks them, and I'm not ordering one blind..
Last edited by Noob__Guitarist at May 2, 2011,
Most classic 18 watt designs will be considerably louder than your C30. Bluesbreakers were a very very loud 18 watts, I can't see the Dr Z being any different, though I could stand corrected.

And most amps I've come across with variable wattage seem to sound best on the highest wattage, the lower wattages decrease the headroom and give a different sound, but they don't really change how loud you need the amp to get it sounding good.

I guess it's a matter of compromise. I think if your classic 30 is too loud, chances are you'll struggle to find something that sounds really really good at lower volumes. If you gig then just find something that sounds good at gig levels and put up with it not being perfect at home levels. Also a lot of blues and hard rock tones sound best with the master turned up a bit anyway.

I'm not sure what to suggest. On the budget of a Dr Z you do have a lot of options, perhaps something like one of the THD amps or an egnator tweaker? Since they can run a lot of different types of power tube, you could maybe keep the volume down that way?

Another suggestion is running an inefficent speaker. The speaker efficency makes a huge difference to the volume.
Quote by ProgFolk12
Most classic 18 watt designs will be considerably louder than your C30. Bluesbreakers were a very very loud 18 watts, I can't see the Dr Z being any different, though I could stand corrected.

And most amps I've come across with variable wattage seem to sound best on the highest wattage, the lower wattages decrease the headroom and give a different sound, but they don't really change how loud you need the amp to get it sounding good.

I guess it's a matter of compromise. I think if your classic 30 is too loud, chances are you'll struggle to find something that sounds really really good at lower volumes. If you gig then just find something that sounds good at gig levels and put up with it not being perfect at home levels. Also a lot of blues and hard rock tones sound best with the master turned up a bit anyway.

I'm not sure what to suggest. On the budget of a Dr Z you do have a lot of options, perhaps something like one of the THD amps or an egnator tweaker? Since they can run a lot of different types of power tube, you could maybe keep the volume down that way?

Another suggestion is running an inefficent speaker. The speaker efficency makes a huge difference to the volume.

I don't gig at all. I don't plan to.
I thought about replacing the speaker but have no idea what with. does speaker wattage matter too? I looked at celestions but they're 96db efficient which doesn't seem very in efficient
The 5 or 20 watt blackstar?? 5w is plenty for the bedroom I have mine turned pretty low.

My Laney is acting up at the moment so had to bring the blackstar to practice. It almost did the job against the acoustic drum kit but it was far form ideal, wouldn recommend it at all as it is just a practice amp not a big gigging amp if you get me. Just said id let ya know so ya can gauge how loud it can get if volume is what your worried about.

It also has line out, fx loop, two channels etc. They are a nice little amp for blues n hard/bluesy/dirty rock. I think they do em with reverb now, I use a nano holy grail in front of it the whole time.

Happy hunting
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by ProgFolk12

This. Getcha a nice speaker that runs at like, 90db efficiency or thereabouts. Not sure one can be found, but the lowest dB level you can find.

Try these.

http://jensentone.com/c12q.php
http://jensentone.com/mod12-35.php
http://jensentone.com/mod12-50.php
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at May 2, 2011,
Quote by maddnotez
Baron Snott Watt, its worth a look.

lots of positive reviews however its another one that has no local support.. Sometimes I hate how isolated our market is..
How about a Hayden Mofo 15?
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by darkwolf291
Talk to kylendm on here. He's got one and he loves it. Ask him for clips and a review.
He's UG's Baron pusher.

Its not the fact that I want to hear them - there's plenty of sound samples available. I'd like to hear them in person, with my guitar, to my ear before dropping a few K into one.