I'm currently working on building up my speed. I don't want to just be able to sloppily play fast, but I want accurate, controlled speed.
What I've been doing is playing a few things with a metronome and trying to kick up the speed little by little as I go along.

I've been playing a couple random lick things as well as trying to increase my speed on the "Spider" exercise, if you're familiar with that.
At this point, my current goal is 16th notes at around 200bpm.

Do you guys have any tips to help me make better progress? Am I doing something wrong?
Any tips/constructive criticism helps. Hopefully some other people at my level could benefit too.
when you practice slow, make sure you can play the lick through at a specific speed perfectly 10-20 times in a row (if you f up at all you need to start the count over). then bump it somewhere between 1 and 4 bpm, this jump is almost neglegable but 5 is usually too much.

remember if you are simply trying it at speedX once or twice then saying well time for speedY you are hurting your self more than you know. every tiny mistake is multiplied as you go up in speed so if you jump speed too early you will notice the slppy playing.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
when you practice slow, make sure you can play the lick through at a specific speed perfectly 10-20 times in a row (if you f up at all you need to start the count over). then bump it somewhere between 1 and 4 bpm, this jump is almost neglegable but 5 is usually too much.

remember if you are simply trying it at speedX once or twice then saying well time for speedY you are hurting your self more than you know. every tiny mistake is multiplied as you go up in speed so if you jump speed too early you will notice the slppy playing.....

Do you know of an online metronome that goes up by increments that small? the one I'm using goes up by about 4 bpm, then 6-8 as the speed gets higher.

Also, do you know any good licks I should practice? I'm looking for stuff to build universal speed, so licks that can kinda bleed over into overall fast playing. If that makes sense xD

Thanks.
Search up the song "save me" by avenged sevenfold and start learning the solo, not only does it help with speed but it has some sweeps as well and it's got alot of different fingerings so it's a 2 in 1 deal! It's 32nd notes at 95bpm so it'll be awhile till you reach max speed.
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
I highly recommend buying a metronome

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Accessories/Practice-Performance-Aids/Tuners-Metronomes/Metronomes/QT-7-Quartz-Metronome.site1sku210251000000000.sku

thats only like $15(USD) but they also have one for $10(USD), and a real metronome is worth it.

as for licks I'd recommend choosing a lick that you like by one of your favorite bands. choose any lick you like, and work at it really slow. and as you buld up remember you dont have to stop when you hit the original speed, you can keep going. infact the fastetr you can play it, the cleaner you will play it when you slowdown.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
I highly recommend buying a metronome

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Accessories/Practice-Performance-Aids/Tuners-Metronomes/Metronomes/QT-7-Quartz-Metronome.site1sku210251000000000.sku

thats only like $15(USD) but they also have one for $10(USD), and a real metronome is worth it.

as for licks I'd recommend choosing a lick that you like by one of your favorite bands. choose any lick you like, and work at it really slow. and as you buld up remember you dont have to stop when you hit the original speed, you can keep going. infact the fastetr you can play it, the cleaner you will play it when you slowdown.

Thanks =D I'm going to buy one, I've just been putting it off.

Do you think it's beneficial to be practicing the "spider" and increasing the speed?
Not really no, far more constructive to practice something you actually want to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm sure there's a metronome for android or iPhone's out there too... They'd be free also.