Wasn't sure to put this in musicians talk or here so sorry if I put it in the wrong section but anyways I was just wondering how you go about making a solo over a song without using any licks, because the solos I make now are just a bunch of recycled licks put together and honestly I can't be proud of my work by doing this. I was watching a friend of mine do a solo then he was like " this is a bunch of diminished blah blah with Eb diminished 7th and a phygrian dominant etc etc"

I do know what these mean (kind of, I'm just starting to learn about the scale degrees and I just finished learning diminished stuff) but I'm wondering do I just get the key of the song then lay out all the notes and make a bunch of chords to apreggiate and scales and etc that can be used with it and see what I like most? Or is there some other way to go about making solos?
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
slow down and start with a melody first. you know something simple like this:

D|----7-------9-----8--|
A|--0---8~~------------|

then start making small variations as you add little flares between notes....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I'm actually really good with making melodies (I try to make songs as melodic as possible so it usually comes naturally now) but I'm talking like a straight out shredding solo that still sounds good, those are Impossible for me I just never know where to go with the solo.
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15

Quote by !Mike!
I'm actually really good with making melodies (I try to make songs as melodic as possible so it usually comes naturally now) but I'm talking like a straight out shredding solo that still sounds good, those are Impossible for me I just never know where to go with the solo.

if you cannot make good melodies fast, you cannot make good melodies slow.

speed is irrelevant. there is no separate technique to crafting melodies at different speeds. there are treatments, but that's after the actual melody is constructed.

i suggest listening to classical music for the answer (particularly bach). learn to apply what you hear.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I wanna disagree without sounding like a stubborn prick lol but The fast solos I listen to are usually not about the single note but the overall sound they all give, maybe it's just my phrasing is shit because my melodies are all very straight forward in terms of timing etc. I'd Also like to point out that I can make fast melodies that sound decent but like this guy when he plays the solo he showed me slow it doesn't sound good but then when he plays it fast it flows very well. The videos called envy assured fulfilling the darkest dreams (you can find it on YouTube I'd link it but I'm on my phone)

It also might be I'm thinking of something else with melody because this solo he made doesn't sound very melodic at all to me (again maybe were thinking of two different things when we say melodies).

Again, no disrespect for you guys who are trying to help
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15

Last edited by !Mike! at May 1, 2011,
Quote by AeolianWolf
if you cannot make good melodies fast, you cannot make good melodies slow.

speed is irrelevant. there is no separate technique to crafting melodies at different speeds. there are treatments, but that's after the actual melody is constructed.

i suggest listening to classical music for the answer (particularly bach). learn to apply what you hear.

this. disagree all you want, he's still right
You know on second thought the solo doesn't sound so bad, the thing about it is that he is using notes in a combination I'd never think of. Is this through a good knowledge of scales and music theory is it just alot of trial and error?
Gear
- Peavey Vyper 15

Quote by !Mike!
You know on second thought the solo doesn't sound so bad, the thing about it is that he is using notes in a combination I'd never think of.

I'm guessing he's been playing longer than you have. Experience leads to better note choices IMHO.

Is this through a good knowledge of scales and music theory is it just alot of trial and error?

If you ask me, I'd say a little of both.

Just keep at it man. The more hours you put on the guitar, the better you are going to get.

To answer your original question (writing a solo without pre-used licks) I'd suggest you play something that isn't diatonic. Don't really worry about what scale you're in, resolutions and all that stuff. Just play. You should come up with something good.
Quote by !Mike!

hey man if you can write slow melodies you can write fast ones, the only difference between them is the speed....

in all honesty the best way to get better is just practice, work on theory (technically this is optional, but I highly [ermm... very highly] recommend learning theory), and practice some more.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
TS: Spinal Tap.

/thread
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.